What score to expect?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Skywatcher
Weekend Duffer

What score to expect?

Post by Skywatcher »

For those who know the difficulty of the many courses, know TrueSwing and know how the many people have played in the past.
What is the average score on an average difficulty course the average player would typically shoot using advanced TrueSwing?
I've only messed around in practice mode using mainly advanced. No proper rounds yet to guage my real ability or lack of. I would like to have some idea eventually if I am a typical player or a bad one. It'll help me decide later if I should stick with advanced or maybe drop down to standard.
If you care to add, do most players use advanced or standard level?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: What score to expect?

Post by SteveHorn »

Skywatcher!
That's a tough question to answer. I'd say that most if not all current members have been around long enough, that if they're truswing players they use the advanced settings. You lose distance with other settings and shouldn't play from the far tourney tee's on many course's if you don't use the advance settings. When I first started many years ago I didn't start out using advanced settings. I also just played the short amateur season and worked my way up to the Pro's then to the PGA ( I have a world tour I created myself with an easy to do point system). If you have any interest check out my post on the World Tour under the general discussion area. I usually shot in the 80's when I first started but it didn't take to long to improve.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I would stick with advanced. You'll get better at it with practice. When I played regularly I shot around even par on average. My goal was usually to break par. My best rounds were in the 63-65 range. How you approach the game changes things though. You can get really technical and calculate lofts and count grid squares in putts and use a straight edge. Stuff like that wasn't like golf to me and so wasn't fun. I'm very much a feel player. I played with stance a little when I was between clubs but that's about it, just went by feel on putting and never used a straight edge. So I'm just saying don't get discouraged by people shooting low numbers. Compare yourself to people who play the game a similar way to how you do and just have fun.
Skywatcher
Weekend Duffer

Post by Skywatcher »

Thanks guys, that helps a great deal!
Yeah, I'm really liking advanced because it just feels realistic. I sit on one hole and just hit drive after drive trying to get used to controlling the trajectory and distance. Definately see improvement every time I'm doing it. I'm also someone who will play by feel as it is much more like real golf imo. This game is almost like starting to play real golf for the first time, I'm loving it!
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I think that you should expect higher scores if you are a True Swing guy than if you are a traditional Tri Click guy. I am a clicker and it is thought that the Tri Click in PGA 2000 is a whole lot easier than in other golf sims for the PC - I think that is true and that is why I use it instead of True Swing myself ;) The driving range, putting green and chipping areas on each course are the place to get that True Swing timing down but be aware that once the system calibrates your swing (after about 10 shots with each club for your character) you will gradually lose distance in True Swing. A lot of folks will "recreate" their player to keep that distance edge. You lose distance over time in Tri Click as well but never enough to tempt you to "recreate" the player. Not sure why the engine does things that way but you should be aware that playing with True Swing will pose a few more issues than playing with Tri Click. Also, I have found that putting is much easier to do than hit the green in regulation - most folks seem to drive the ball a shorter distance, putt above average and have the most difficulty in consistently putting the ball close to the hole. This is where your scoring will drop - when you figure out how loft affects the ball and how the lie you have affects the ball. Welcome aboard - glad to have you here!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I can't speak to Tri-Click as I never played it in PGA 2000 but for Tru-Swing a better way to phrase it is you gain distance by recreating a player because you don't keep losing distance long term. It levels out after a round or two and your average drive is around 265-275. This was the games way of calibrating to your mouse speed. I never recreated so it's another one of those things that I forgot about to keep in mind when comparing yourself with others. With the distances being hit in golf with today's technology it may be more realistic to recreate if that's what you're looking for. I think the drives were around 300 yards with a new player and it would last around 9 holes before it started to adjust to your mouse speed.
Skywatcher
Weekend Duffer

Post by Skywatcher »

I have a week or so now where I really won't have much time to play. I still haven't played one complete full round. Been busy just hitting practice shots and looking over some of the courses.

The more time I spend with PGA, the more I enjoy it. The quality of the graphics, the courses and gameplay, this really is an amazing game! In a week I'll play my first round and then get onto setting up my first season. I'm enjoying it so much, maybe in 12 months I might even have a go at designing a course! :bg: