It never fails!

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

It never fails!

Post by Polslad »

Well, I guess it was enevitable.
After many many hours of work, I've got a lot of detail work done and elevations on my ultimate 18 course and the darned architect has decided it's going to play up now.
I've been dropping texture shapes around my main work to keep the point count down, and been 'repairing course' obsesively, but the thing is corrupt.
I can't move it along any further
I am running the minimum uncloaked libraries in the architect, so I know it's not that causing the thing to crash.

I've gotten to the point where when I try to run the 'repair' tool, the architect shuts down or greys out.
I'm using the Woodford Park texture set, which doesn't normally cause problems.
I have deleted all the swap files.
Basically, I am stuck.
Here's what I have produced so far, I think its looking quite good, with only base textures at the moment. Add here's the error message I get.
Suggestions please, I really don't want to bin this one
Links Holes.jpg
(413.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Links Holes.jpg
(413.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
Error.jpg
(35.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SirTorben
Weekend Duffer

Re: It never fails!

Post by SirTorben »

I got the same problem on the project i am working on,
But I allways make a backup sub-directory in the course-dir,
so I can move one step back.
I think the problem is to many hills and texture overlapping the point
where you want to Work ........ Maybe.
That is my guess. posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=898#
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

David

I had this happen on I believe Quail Hollow.... This may be worth a try... Go through each hole, pick up every shape for that hole, fairways, greens, bunkers etc (EVERYTHING)... Then draw a big circle around them all (For each individual hole)
and drop each of those circles... Do an optimization (LOWEST LEVEL) on each of those big circles you dropped...smooth them on level one, then a minimal optimization again... After doing this , then optimize the main texture on one.... Run the repair tool then save the file... Close it, reopen the file, then go in and drop all the textures you picked up... delete all the big circles, then run repair tool again, then save again ....

This worked for me, not saying it will work, but I think it just may

Terry
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! I hope Terry's possible solution works for you. Don't forget to save with a different number on the end after about every 30 minutes to an hour tops. Right now I'm still early on a design and I'm on New Course#19 save. I only keep 3 or 4 of the most recent saves, the rest get deleted.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Thanks Terry,
Sounds like some tedious work there, but if thats what it takes!

I'm thinking it may still be a library issue.
I must be due another full re-install.
My course manager won't delete courses and libraries, I get an overflow error message and then it shuts down and my cloaking tool won't cloak certain libraries, I get the delete key 5 reg error message.
And I'm pretty sure that I have some libraries that refuse to be deleted and show in the architect, even after they have been cloaked.
A whole jumble of messed up
I need the wife to get back onto night shift for a few nights so I can sit here for hours and try to work it out.
These women just don't realise how important our latest designs are, and don't understand our pain when the thing crashes.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Just for the record, does anyone know what the tipping point is for the architect concerning libraries?
At what total does it cease to function?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I've had a little luck doing something similar to what Terry does. When I get the broken glass looking mess, or problems doing elevation work in an area, I pick up with children the outermost shape of the hole. DO NOT DELETE THEM! Run repair tool, then optimize and save. Then drop each shape starting with the innermost shape, and optimize each one as you do. When all shapes are down, run the repair tool again and save. It works about 90% of the time. The other 10% I end up changing the hole because I don't want to mess with it. :idea:

Doron
Tebasco
Weekend Duffer

Post by Tebasco »

I know this problem. From 10 designs I bring one design to completion. It is very frustrating. I think after all these years, it has something to do with the data volume.
Mostly the course designer stops me in the planning phase/design phase. Sometimes - I have completed a course after months, the game stops at a specific hole. Better said, the computer crashes.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Since your course manager isn't working you may want to go into the Sierra folder and delete some libraries manually sending them to the recycle bin. Then after deleting the libraries once again delete your swap files before opening the architect again.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Terry,
Did you do that for every hole, even ones you hadn't added any elevations or done work on?
I have elevations on my cliff texture also.

Just looking at the course manager and cloaking tool, both are showing libraries that are no longer on my system.
Also, when I cloak certain libraries, then close the tool, these libraries show as uncloaked next time I open the tool.

Wife is working nights tonight, so I can either sit and try to fix this, or work my way through the Breaking Bad box set with a few beers.
Not decided yet.