Tell me if you have any interest

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Tell me if you have any interest

Post by sandwedge »

Okay, so I love this game and this community. Of all the golf sims that I have played (WCLB, JNSE, GBC 6, LINKS 386-2003, TW 99-2008, Sim Golf), this one tops them all. I would love to design a course for public download, but time and talent cause me to think otherwise - yet I do want to show my thanks for all that others have done here to keep the game and the fun going. I am looking for a way to contribute something to our community.

I stumbled across some rankings from Ainsworth Sports for golfers from each decade since the beginning of golf professionally (1860). Would there be an interest in a pro golfer list from each decade to use in the game (1860's - 1990's)? That way, Indy Anna's and Steve Horn's lists could still be used but we would have a list for all of the years prior back to the beginnings of golf. I submitted a list of All Time Great men and women golfers a while back but it appears it has not gotten much use. This would be a little bit of a project - getting the 3D models to match up somewhat with old photographs, normalizing the stats and adjusting them for the different eras, playtesting (fun for us!).

So what do you think? I'm willing to post what we do if some would like to use the lists for fun or for a season replay.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Tell me if you have any interest

Post by bryce »

Sandwedge,
That would be a great idea! We do already have a list with some of the greats from the 1950s and 1960s, but it would be cool to see Old Tom Morris, Harry Vardon, Jock Hutchinson, Francis Oimet, Walter Hagen, James Braid......and so on. I love the idea!

Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Sandwedge! GO FOR IT. I plan at this time releasing an updated current players list hopefully before the year is out. Good luck with your list if you choose to do so. It may take a little more time then you realize.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Sandwedge! I use the ATG list ALL THE TIME, and this would be absolutely perfect!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Well, thanks for the encouragement to share our work. Excited that I have a way to say thanks. The nice thing about this kind of project is I can release one list at a time - that will help make it manageable. I am almost finished with the 1860's list. Tom Morris Sr., Tom Morris Jr., Willie Park Sr., Andrew Strath and Jamie Anderson highlight the list of 35 from the decade.

Keep in mind that each list only takes into account the stats available for the decade which will then be normalized so each era can compete against one another fairly. Harry Vardon for instance never is the top player rated in his decade, but he appears on more lists because of his consistent play. Jack Nicklaus is amazing as a player - he not only rates as best player for a decade but also has longevity in the top ten ratings for several decades. Tom Weiskopf is rated number two for one decade but then kind of disappears after that - just like he did in real life. I think these ratings are a realistic look at the transfer of the baton from one great era to another and will hopefully give the tournament feel of one great on the rise while another is on the decline. This will surely make for some exciting major tournaments in season play.

This first list, is based more on the subjective ratings of others since anything pre 1980 is only wins, top 10's and prize money for statistics. So, what I have done is take the base stats for leaders from the year 2000 (what the AI is based on) and then adjusted to fit what the typical style of the day would be. So these guys will not hit more that 265 off of the tee but they will be much better around the greens to compensate. Their birdies per round drop off a little but their GIR are a little higher. Since the AI putting is unrealistic, I have dropped the putts per round down for all the eras to range from 1.35 to 1.5 (the proper statistical rate should be 1.6-1.8 so you can see the adjustment).

In play testing this list, they are averaging about -15 to -18 for a tournament for the winner. I think this is quite good and makes them competitive enough. The only downside is the clothing and hair styles. I cannot get the beards and sideburns these guys had. I chose to dress them all in brown (sepia feel?) - but you can change them to suit your tastes. I only ask that if you adjust the stats of one, you adjust across the board to keep the integrity of the original ratings. I will upload list one in a few days. Feel free to make comments or ask questions - hope this lengthy post makes sense :)
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

For all who want to take a look, I just uploaded the 1860's player files to GSC. I assume they will be posted soon in the utilities section unless I messed up the upload somehow. There are 35 golfers in this first installment of the decade player lists. Should have the 1870 list ready for upload soon with 13 returning players and 37 new ones for a total of 50. They will be wearing different outfits. Be on the watch for them sometime next week.

Enjoy them - I sure am. Nothing like beating Old Tom Morris and Willie Park Sr. in a best ball ryder cup match! Thanks to my amazing daughter we pulled out a 2 & 1 victory on Cutter Bay GC with a 35 footer for the clincher on the last! Next time I'll try to leave her with a more realistic chance - nerves you know :)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hey if you don't mind, could you just add it as an attachment to this thread for now. Pretty sure I have it set up to allow zip file attachments. I'll add them to the web pages when your done. I just lack the time to get in there and update the webpages every week right now. Thanks.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Okay Brian - Hope this works!
Attachments
1860's.zip
1860's player list
(13.45 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Perfect - Thanks!
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

UPDATE:

Little trouble locating photos of the guys in this time period. Have found a few facial discrepancies in 1860's list. Will release updated version and new 1870's list soon. Want to get the player models to be more accurate - stats though are fine so the first list will play the same; just making cosmetic changes. Again this next list will contain 50 players who were at the top of their game in the 1870's. There are 13 carryovers from the previous 1860's list.