Contest Course Progress

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Contest Course Progress

Post by A Brandt »

sandwedge wrote:I like the idea of a list - provides feedback of a tangible nature to the designers and indicates how the community will receive a course if there are any new designers in the wings. I agree that the list should be kept to the basics - categories are enough IMHO; the rest is too cumbersome. I am looking forward to voting and giving feedback but my time is somewhat limited - I can type a few lines but actually scrutinizing a course for minute details may be a bit too much :) So here would be my 5 categories

1. Enjoyment and replay value, (Does it make you want to fire it up again?)
2. Realism, (Fantasy courses are more enjoyable if they are immersive IMHO)
3. Use of the architect (Are there spikes, sunspots etc.?; How do you rate the land plot itself?)
4. Set up (Can golfers of various skill levels compete on it together? My kids are a lot better than I am at this game :laugh: )
5. Originality (Does it introduce something new to the design process? What is the library like that came with the file? I liked that vineyard in Blake Valley :up: I think this should be a category so that we can encourage designers to grow in their talent and abilities.)

I liked the 10 in Tin's post too - but it sounds like some are wanting a scaled down list. I hope this perspective is helpful to you in making a decision. :)

I like this idea the best, maybe rate each category 1-100. I don't think you'll have any ties that way. Let everyone come up with their own way to break down each category. They can certainly use Dar's list if they want, or come up with their own.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

I agree and also think we should definitely include the actual hole design as a category. Are the hole designs actually any good? Do they offer strategic options, demand a variety of shot making capabilities, the use of more than a driver and wedge? Do they offer a blend of challenge to the better player, but still remain fair and playable to the weaker golfer etc etc. I think this came under 'Design Balance' previously but as a designer, this for me is more important than smoothing or flat water.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Also are we ok to submit our 2 feature hole descriptions as PDFs?

I'd still be keen to see everyone's feature holes for discussion before the courses are released - that was always the fun part of previous competitions (for me anyway :) )

Cheers,
LL
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

hey, all, sorry about not posting in so long. Things have been crazy getting ready for the wedding, but it's this friday, so, yay.

I will not have an entry. My pc got dropped while I was moving, and when I last saw it, was in a million pieces. Still have the plot, but only most basic form.

So, I can't wait to play everybody's entries, and will post a course as soon as I can.

Thanks for understanding.
ADC
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I will be uploading before the deadline. I just hate how picky I end up being when I get to the very end.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

ADC! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Also sorry to hear you dropped your computer.
( JUST KIDDING ) Hope you can release your course soon. I also hope you and your bride to be have a long, happy and prosperous marraige.
Doron! I'm the same way anymore with my courses. It took me 3 weeks of test playing before I stopped making corrections or minor changes. I'm glad I played from the amateur tee area also to make sure everything was ok from their. I played a few skins games so I could get alot more looks from different angles.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

I'm have now finished and uploaded everything for my contest course, named Mamacs Retreat Golf Club (as long as I didn't do anything wrong in that process) :)

I'm really looking forward to downloading and playing everyone's courses and especially discussing the two feature holes on each course. Good luck everybody!

tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

I now have four contest courses ready to release when y'all give the word

Alkimos Golf Links - Craig Johnson
Glen Haven - Adam Brandt
Mamacs Retreat Golf Club - Duncan McMonagle (Links Legend)
Point Reyes National - Steve Horn

All the above courses installed fine on my computer.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dar ! Doron, as far as I know is the only one left to release his course. If its ok with everyone else we should be good to go on releasing for play when Doron uploads his course. Shouldn't have to wait for the 16th if his is done before that.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Sounds good to me. As soon as I get Doron's course, we will release them all. From what I have seen so far, it isn't going to be an easy job judging these courses. They all look nice. (hand on Bible) I haven't played any of them... I just browsed through each of them long enough to get a few screenshots for the course pages.

Dar