Windows 8

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Windows 8

Post by Polslad »

So the big question is, will our great game run in the new Windows 8?
Guy at PC World couldn't tell me today.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Windows 8

Post by SteveHorn »

Lets hope they have an compatability mode that works. I don't even know when windows 8 comes out or if its already out. The computer I'm using came with XP home version and it was brand new at that time. November 2001
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Looks like it is not much different from the beta versions they put out earlier. One thing that they are advertising that I had not heard of before is the picture password. I get how this is helpful to keep your computer secure from an internet hacker but it seems it would be easier to figure things out on the local machine itself. If I used a picture of a PGA 2000 course for instance as my "picture password" - it would probably take about 2 seconds for you to find the sand trap or the sand wedge and break in :laugh:

Sorry, straying from the topic. I think we will see it work - it has survived this many Windows incarnations so no reason to think it won't do the same again. If not, I think we might have some guys from here who could work up a patch if we put our heads together. Is anyone getting Windows 8 or are we all staying put with our present version until it flops completely?
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I went for a new PC today.
Picked out a Compaq, brand new, £420 off the shelf. Windows 8.
Guys says 'do you want to play games on it? Need a graphics card, £100.
Do you want to play music? Sound and speakers £40
Do you want Microsoft Office? £60
Do you want Norton Anti Virus? £60
Won't work out of the box unless we set up all the operating systems. £50
Will it play your current games? (PGA Golf & Grand Prix Legends) Dunno, might do.
£420 PC cost another £350+ just to get it running and usable, without knowing if I can continue playing my favourite games.
What ever happened to customer service and value for money?
Walked in feeling pretty good, was gonna treat myself to some new hardware, walked out feeling (for want of a better term) raped and ripped off.
Didn't buy one.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Polslad, that's as good a reason as any to stick with my '06 Dell and XP. The more they "advance" Windows the more BS it becomes. My future son-in-law has a PC with W7; I hate it, but I fear that they're going to make a computer someday that our old favorites are going to be like DOS-based programs from 2 decades ago.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Well, I took the plunge and can confirm that our beloved games works just fine on Windows 8, in fact, it looks pretty good!
Downside is that I lost my whole 'career' and all the course downloads when my old PC died, going to have to get them all again and re-install everything, plus learn how to play again with a new golfer/hardware.
Plus side is that I don't have hundreds of libraries cluttering up the architect, should I wish to have a dabble with a new course.
May look into that, it has been quite a while.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

I think the feature they are hoping for with Windows 8 is being able to play online again. Not if the game works.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Glad to hear that if I upgrade I can still play PGA 2000 at home. Let us know if there are any issues with the architect if you do decide to fire it up. Thanks for the post - good information to know.
curisjerik
Range Rookie

Post by curisjerik »

Windows 8 symbolizes a fundamental move in the way Windows works and is far more touchscreen-orientated for use on pills as well as traditional PCs. If you're completely new to Windows 8 and haven't used a review edition, we'd suggest you check out our guide to the new features you'll find in Windows 8 vs Windows seven and Windows 8: what you'll need to relearn.
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

See my post in earlier listing regarding use of HAMACHI to connect up for online play.

Ever since they took out IPX/SPX connectivity the games needed a VPN Tunnel either through Kali or some other connection to work. Stupid thing is if theres only two of you want to play and you have free calls, buy a 56k modem each and connect with that. IPX is still in there because of the old fax protocols.

As for the game running on Win 8 yes it does, will it connect directly over Win 8, NO, try using Hamachi and adapt the settings in it for IPX use.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

Hope this helps. Failing that get Ubuntu its a Linux program and will work and run pga 2000 off a cd/dvd, theres a tutorial on making up the game disk on the site for ubuntu and play it using the latest version of Wine.