Looking for an Ocean Surf sound

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

Looking for an Ocean Surf sound

Post by ADC »

Hey, all

I'm looking for a set of ocean coast sounds. Surf, gulls, etc, etc, etc. I have plenty in the libraries I have, but to be frank, there are either very low quality sound (even for PGA) or just not what I am looking for. I've tried five or six different sounds, but none really fit. I was wondering if any of you knew of a surf sound from a course that really stuck out to you. I'd appreciate any help you can give, and I'm sorry for a sort of wide open question.

Alex
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Looking for an Ocean Surf sound

Post by bryce »

Pebble Beach, Oceanside (lots of gulls in objects) and Monterey Shores have some pretty good sounds. You may also want to check RDW Sounds. It's Robert Wagers library of nothing but about 30 sounds. The best ocean sound I know of, as in waves crashing, is in Kapalua.

Doron
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thanks, Bryce

Here's a shot of what I've been working on. It's called Pacific Highlands Golf Club. This is hole 7, and, my golfer has missed the fairway left...again.

I know that the library isn't anything new. But Adam Brandt's Glen Haven textures are spectacular, and besides, using an established library is letting me focus on the golf. Hope you guys like it.

Thanks,

Alex
Attachments
PHGC #7.jpg
(345.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

The best surf sounds I ever heard were on Coos Bay, 13th hole I think. I used to just bring it up as background while I read. I'm not sure what library it's from though. IIRC Monterrey has some nice surf sounds. Atlantic Crossing has some excellent gull sounds; again I'm not sure what library they're in.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

ADC wrote:Hey, all

I'm looking for a set of ocean coast sounds. Surf, gulls, etc, etc, etc. I have plenty in the libraries I have, but to be frank, there are either very low quality sound (even for PGA) or just not what I am looking for. I've tried five or six different sounds, but none really fit. I was wondering if any of you knew of a surf sound from a course that really stuck out to you. I'd appreciate any help you can give, and I'm sorry for a sort of wide open question.

Alex
You might take a look at Stormbay by Robert@. Great surf sounds and lots of gulls.
Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Alex! I'm very impressed by your sceen shot. VERY VERY SWEET. Do you know how to adjust the sounds? Many sounds need some adjusting in my opinion before you finish a course. Also I try not to put to many sounds on a course maybe around 70 total in areas where you know they are most likley to be heard.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Stevehorn,

Thanks. Adam Brandt did one of the most amazing libraries this game will ever see in the Glen Haven mix. And I love that it lets me focus on building a golf course that plays like a golf course. The layout's been...a labor of love, that's all I can say. I do know how to adjust the sounds, and I found one surf sound that...isn't exactly what I want, but is good enough. I've been a musician and sound designer for film, so I guess I'm just too darn picky when it comes to sound.

Here's another question, if you all don't mind. I've run into a snag concerning detail. I haven't been optimizing much, and I'm glad I saved often, because I hit the break point limit for my pc today at about 330,000. Needless to say, detail issues are big. But when I got the file size down...it was just...let's say I was unhappy. The holes were still there, and it went from being about a 25 mb file to a 12 mb file. But ALL the nuance was gone. Especially in my green sites.

So, I have my back ups, and yes, I've lost the new hole I'd been working, but I can get it back, more or less. Problem is that I don't know where to rob Peter to pay Paul. The greensites are extremely important to me, and I probably spend half the time I'm working on a hole just on the greens and greenside bunkers alone. But...where do you decide what to cut down on when, in your minds eye, everything is important?

Thanks for all the help,

Alex.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

ADC, if your course "shattered" at 330K then the problem is probably too much detail in certain areas. I've been up close to 1M points and know that Terry has gone well above 1M on a couple of his.

A couple of tips; these I learned from Terry.
1. Before starting on a hole, draw a texture circle around the area under construction. #1, if your work "breaks down" (I call it shatters because it looks like a broken mirror) it'll only affect the one area. You're already saving a lot so you're ahead there.
2. I'm just going to assume that you don't know about the "net" tool. If you do then slap me for being arrogant! lol! Anyway, pressing ALT+CTRL+T will bring up a black net that shows your work and you can use this to visually see areas of extremely high point concentration. These usually occur where you have several complex shapes close together, like a water-trap-green complex.
3. Personally I make it a habit to optimize these shapes as they're being built. Optimize minimally; in most cases you're not going to lose much detail; unfortunately you might lose some of the small slopes, etc. you've put into a green BUT you're also more likely to have spikes if you don't optimize. If possible, either don't or minimally smooth your shapes unless you really have to as this is going to add more points (detail) back into those areas. Sometimes if you pick up all but the border texture you can do an optimize/smooth, then lay the other textures back down without losing much detail; I do that a lot with the greens. Sometimes I pick up every texture on the hole from the deep rough in before using a circle to optimize/smooth; for some reason the tool isn't as "harsh" when you do it this way.
4. After you've completed the hole then optimize
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Indy,

THANKS! Your advice is invaluable. I most definitively didn't know about the net tool, and I'm amazed at what it reveals (plus, it looks really cool.) I have been pleased with my test results, and am back in business.

I've deleted most of the planting I've done to let me work on this. I love that finished look, but sometimes, it can get in the way. And it was sort of borken and uneven, not nearly as unified as I'd have liked, so I need a replanting anyways.

Thanks, all!

Alex
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

ADC,
I am very much the same way with the greensites and traps, and also have had this problem before. I had over 1 million points in several of my courses, and had to overcome "crashes" to get there. Indy's info is right on! I don't use Terry's method when I get the "broken glass" look, I simply right click on any texture within the area that I am able to click on, and delete it. Then I simply hit the undo button to bring it back. Sometimes I have to do this with several different textures within to get the area of the course back, but I always do. When I get the course back, the first thing I do is optimise. If it's a fairway-fringe-green area and you can't right click on anything in the affected area, go down the fairway a little if it's connected and delete it, and undo to bring it back.

I do so much messing around the greens that I have had this happen on every course I've ever made (I think). The screenshot looks very nice btw. Looks like a tough pin to get to.

Doron