Arrowhead GC by Wagers/Ekroth

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Arrowhead GC by Wagers/Ekroth

Post by sandwedge »

I have got to put in a review for this fabulous course. The scenery is unbelievable - the best of any course I have played in this game. The layout is a little on the easy side - I shot 6 under par for my round with avg./normal/breezy settings - but this is a plus for me (see below). The sounds are faint and unobtrusive as you make your way around the course - a plus for me as well. I like Pookela for instance, but those bird sounds make me play without any sound on - they drive me nuts! Thankfully, nothing here is unsettling to your concentration - except the stunning views as you make your way around the circuit. I know this is a real-life course - but let me add this for good measure - I like a course where you don't have to check the overhead every five minutes. Some designers get so cute with their strategy that they forget that the average person doesn't get drawn into the experience when they have to figure out too much to play the course. My daughters have a lot more fun playing a course like Arrowhead GC with me for that reason. Download this course if you have not already - definite keeper. Glad I came back to the community, would have missed this course otherwise - lot better than the McHale and Opfer courses back in the day when PGA got going; for sure. My opinions - your mileage will vary but give it a whirl :)
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Re: Arrowhead GC by Wagers/Ekroth

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I am pleased that this course still gives people some pleasure!
Jorgen and I put alot of effort into this course, trying to make it as realistic as possible.
Jorgen doesn't get enough credit for his contributions to this course. What people don't realize is that Jorgen laid-out the entire course using satellite imagery and it is VERY accurate to the actual course (I know because I have actually played this course IRL). The course plays a little-bit on the easy-side in PGA2k, but that is the nature of real-course renditions in the game (especially if you cheat---- :laugh: ).
The course's elevations took a long time to create because I was "My own-worst-critic" when it came to realism. The elevation work took me FOREVER to get "just-right!" I actually scrapped the entire land plot once and started over because I was dissatisfied with it's realism.
I kept going back-and-forth with the Rock cliffs trying to decide whether to use 2-d objects or use elevations for the rock faces. I ended up using a combination of both methods.
Jorgen took a couple of suggestions from me and created some REALLY ACCURATE GRASS TEXTURES, PANO and SOUNDS for this lib. He did a wonderful job! The only texture I can take credit for is the Rock (red rock) textures; everything else was Jorgen's creation.

Again, although this course plays-easy in PGA2k, it really gives you the feeling of "Being-There" in real life!

Robert D. Wagers
Last edited by Robert D. Wagers on January 19th, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Sandwedge,
You will find that Robert D. Wagers is one of the best, if not the best designers for the game.

Here are some breathe taking courses you may want to check out:
Atchafalaya Basin
Greenbrier Resort
Magnolia Valley CC
The Country Club @ Terra Cotta Plantation
The Trenche at Monticello
The Valley Course @ Horseshoe Bend
Tomahawk Run
Travertine Island GC
Whipporwill Golf and CC
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Wage is a real stickler for realism in his courses. He even insists that the plants, grasses, etc., are correct for the geographic region the course is set in. I understand that to build the library for Atchafayla Basin, he actually trudged around in a swamp taking pictures of the moss covered trees and such.

From the minute you open one of his courses, you know it is a good one. It has a WOW factor to it. We play them all the time and keep coming back. Change the conditions a bit and you have a whole different animal.

You can't go wrong with a Wagers course. Even we cheaters :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: love em.

Dar
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Aaaaahhh,
You guys flatter-me too much!
Thanks for all the kind words!
RDW
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

If I was to create a coffee table book on PGA 2000 Courses, of the more than 28,800 holes available, this one would grace the cover. IMO it's the most beautiful hole any of us have created, #13 at The Trenche at Monticello by none other than our Mr. Bob Wagers.
Attachments
trenche 13.JPG
(157.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I started a course back in Sept/Oct that is going to be somewhat of a tribute course to Arrowhead. I set it aside to finish my contest design, but have been back at it since last week. I just hope that I can make it my best and do justice to Wagers and Ekroth.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Indy Anna Jones wrote:If I was to create a coffee table book on PGA 2000 Courses, of the more than 28,800 holes available, this one would grace the cover. IMO it's the most beautiful hole any of us have created, #13 at The Trenche at Monticello by none other than our Mr. Bob Wagers.
Thanks Indy Anna for your wonderful words! You are very kind!

Robert D. Wagers
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Absolutley 100% agree with Indy on that #13 is the best looking hole in this game ever...

Of course this course, the par 3 on the back side with all the Rocks is top 2 in my book!

Trenche to me is still the best course ever to be built in this game....My opinion
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Thanks Terry!
Hillbilly Holler has some of the best "comic-relief" moments in all of PGA!

"Git off my layund!!!" <--- worth a million laughs!

Wage