Long Putts vs Chipping

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Long Putts vs Chipping

Post by stillgolfing »

Another problem I encountered while practicing putting today was I was given some puts that were longer than could be made on the meter. I honestly don't know how far a putter is capable of tavelling, when I was faced with my first long really long put today (24 yds 15 inches up) I clicked on the putter hoping it would give me a distance like the other clubs do but it didn't, Consequently I figured I'd best give it a full whack (beyond the black marker into the yellow at the curves apex (I know that works great for 10 extra yds with the driver), I hit it perfectly, but was about 15 ft short. This situation occurred several times during this practice session - could not get the ball to the hole with the putter. Is this something you have encountered, and in these circumstances do you chip. I couldn't here because I was in putting Practice Mode, but obviously if this comes up in a game I would if I could.
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Robert@
Shotmaker

Re: Long Putts vs Chipping

Post by Robert@ »

Its always been an unwritten rule that chipping on the greens is forbidden,but thats when playing online with other members or on ladders. Reason being sometimes its easier to chip it in (take the break out) then to putt it. And some are just better chippers then putters. Playing alone offline chip away if need be when faced with a long distance putt.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dave! Speed of the greens can also make a BIG difference in how far you can hit a ball putting. I try to putt if possible when on the greens. However if I know I can't get it close with the putter I fill no shame in chipping.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I say chip and be dammed!
Take a divot too!
I always chip on the greens, anything above 20 yards.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Depends mostly on the green speed and texture. Bay Hill is frightfully slow as Oceanside (Bali Shandra) is frightfully fast.

But (rule of :up: ) determination:
Find a course with flat greens (Coyote Bluffs is a good one.) Set the conditions (wet ->VD), move your player 25 yards or so away from the hole and find out what you're getting. The "book" distance on the putter is 50' IIRC. I think I get about 60' on flat/normal. VD and downhill the dang ball will roll until it has to stop, maybe 150' later!

I can guarantee you though that if I'm 40' away, uphill >3" and greens are moist, I'm chipping (actually I prefer putting over chipping but any port in a storm.)
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

You can't pull the mouse back far enough to hit a 45 yard putt even close to the hole on St. Andrews (if needed). Chip, flop, pitch, I've done it all on the greens and do not care if the greenskeeper knows it! :laugh:
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks to all for you comments. I will adjust my game accordingly. :up:
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing