Quail Hollow

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Quail Hollow

Post by stillgolfing »

Since the PGA tourney is being played at Quail Hollow this weekend, I thought I would play the PGA2000 and the Links2003 version concurrently. The thing that impressed me most about the PGA2000 version was it's photo realism. It stands up against the Links rendition in this respect. This was a complete surprise to me as I had assumed to date, from playing about 20 of the original 33 PGA 2000 courses (most of these a number of times over 10 or so years) and about 15 of the Top Four Hundred and also a number of holes on 5 new courses I recently downloaded, that there was no way to design around the "typical" PGA2000 Architect rendering style, which I have always termed pen and ink and water color artistic.
Being an amature artist myself, I never considered that style a bad thing, but in the end, because I have always found the PGA2000 swing interface difficult to use (too small too quick), I deferred to Links2003 as my Golf simulation of choice, very realistic looking and easier to play at the higher levels (3 different swing meters and the size can be enlarged if you find the meter is too small at higher screen resolutions).
This course will be my first addition to my PGA2000 top one hundred (hope to fill it up over the next few months). Kudos to Terry Grayson. I will be checking out his other courses (if there are any) and hopefully there will be some feedback regarding other designers who have a mastered this more realistic rendering style.
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: Quail Hollow

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Here's a list of Terry's courses:
The Appalachian 7/28/2001
Matterhorn 9/10/2001
Wonderland (DC2) 12/13/2001
Grayson's Point 1/18/2002
Lawndale's Willow Hollow 2/25/2002
Pine Mountain Golf Club 5/9/2002
Leviathan 6/18/2002
Cliff Course at Mosteller Island 1/29/2003
Lei Islands at Mosteller Reef (DC5) 6/1/2003
Moonshine Course at Hillbilly Holler 1/25/2004 w/ SouthernRepub
The Tribute Course at Heavens Stairway 4/19/2004
Coastal Links at Edisto island 6/17/2006 w/ Robert d Wagers
Links at Donofrio Bay 3/11/2007
Carolina Cottonmouth 4/22/2007
Quail Hollow Country Club ® 2/14/2008
Links at Rugged Dunes 4/25/2008
Quail Hollow Club II ® 5/9/2009
Links Course at Hatteras Isle 3/14/2011
You can get the list of Courses by Designer in Utilities.
Stan
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks Stan I will check these out.
Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dave! Terry is absoultly one of the best designers around. Robert Wagers is reguarded by many as the all time top dog.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Thanks gents so very much for the kind words...

Quail Hollow I cant take full credit for. Brian Z took the overheads and created a great plot to begin with for me with that terrain assist dem thingamajig! ha...

I believe once I got that from him it took me only 21 days to build the course. Version 2 however I took pics of all the grandstands and stuff that I could actually use in the game. This course was one I visited several years in a row and took hundreds and hundreds of pics... I studied these daggum greens each and everyone of them. Everyone knows most real courses are too easy in this game. I tried my best to get the greens as close terrain wise to the real thing, but exaggerated the land forms. I guess what I am trying to say is the greensites I tried to put the right breaks in the right spots, but made them more exaggerated for the game... I went back the next year and took all the pics of the grandstands, tee markers, hole signs, tv towers, clubhouse etc... If you stand on 18 down toward the bunker on the right where the creek crossing is, and look toward the green in real life or in the game I have every single thing (from two years ago) in the right place... Only thing is the grandstands to the left of the fairway,I could not get the pics right on that at all.HA HA...

Loved building this course...First and ONLY real course... Thanks again for the kind words, I had a ball, and HUGE thanks to Brian Z for the great plot to begin with..

One last thing, 17 I am and have always been unhappy with...the rock wall is too big in the game..I just never could get it right......lol