What's next?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: What's next?

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

We don't have Kapalua on the course list, Polslad. We have Steve's Kauai's Kekaha (a fine course), and Ogilvey did Waialai (which is a tough course and the second course on the real tour.) Did someone do Kapalua privately and you got a copy of it?
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Indy,

You must forgive Pols. He imbibes quantities of good English ale. :bg: :bg: :bg:
Stan
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

My apologies, it was Kaanapali North, hic!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Well actually I was disappointed when I didn't find it! This is the course that Ogilvey wanted to do but then felt he didn't have the talent so he did Waialai. Actually I think Princeville does a pretty good job of capturing the spirit of Kapalua with it's canyons and all.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

We have the plot for Kapalua if anyone wants to attempt it. It was the basis for the first collaboration course, the Mai Nui 'ekahi (Kapalua) - Original link on the utilities page. You'd have to figure where the holes are though, either eyeball it or align a satellite photo over it.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

1. Finish current own design - Battlefleet Creek
2. Redo bunkers on Royal Lytham to release version 2
3. Recreate Royal St Georges - I'm watching the Open and thinking ' I could do that!' No disrespect to Dale's version.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Sounds good Pols. While I really like Dale's course, after watching the real thing in HD on Thursday, I said to the guys when we played it that afternoon, "this course [Dale's] is really flat compared to the real thing." It's not quite as wicked as Arcadia Bluffs but some of those humps and valleys had to have been 6 feet deep, and that one hill with the two bunkers off the tee on #3 has to be at least 40' tall... geez, hate to get caught in the middle of that one with a buried lie.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on July 17th, 2011, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dales version of Royal St. George is much more accurate then our current version of Birkdale.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Having seen Terry's photos of Stone Mountain, I have ditched my fictional course at Battlefleet Creek, which used a lot of the same cliff work, but no-where near as good.
I shall now start on Royal St Georges, while it is still fresh in my mind.
Birkdale is on the to do list, and Im also thinking of re-doing Muirfield, it looks quite basic now, compared to when it was release way back when.
Carnoustie is way out of date, but it would take a mighty fine effort to better that design, one of my all time favourites from Alan Toft.
Also learn't my lesson with the bunkers at Lytham, they will be re-done, and will be a lot more subtle at Sandwich.
Any preferences for textures?
The lighter green/yellow look of St Andrews/Turnberry, or the darker green/brown of Royal Lytham?
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Textures ?

Whatever suits your eye, Master.
Stan