Scheduling on line play

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Scheduling on line play

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I read Spencer's comment about no noticable increase in the number of online players and have to agree with him; every so often when I'm bored or just interested in a game I'll check Kali or Teamspeak and not find anyone playing. Several of us do have regularly scheduled games, but picking up a casual game seems exceptionally rare.

I remembered Carolanne posting a "want a game" schedule at FGL a few years ago and thought it might be worth a try here. I'm available 2-3 mornings and evenings a week and usually Saturday afternoons when my husband is working (that might change with the nicer weather approaching), have Teamspeak (not a necessity but does make the game a lot more fun) and about 750 courses on my harddrive (most of Dar's A+B courses.)

If anyone is interested in a casual game or enough are interested for a ryder-type event, PM me date/time (or post it here) and we'll set something up. :nod:
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Scheduling on line play

Post by ADC »

I'd love to, but I don't know how to load if those sites work well with Vista.

Sigh...Vista...the anti-user.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

I'm sorry ADC. The price of progress is that until someone finally figures a way around it, VISTA and Kali (and PGA2K) won't work. A friend suggested partitioning the HD with half VISTA/half XP and using the XP portion for Kali, but I think others tried this and it didn't work. Might get an old XP and just use it for golf? :(
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

KRP and I play most every afternoon (mon. thru fri.) at 3 Pm. Indy, you would be welcome to join us if your schedule permits. That invitation extends to anyone else who would care to join us. Spencer.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Spencer! You forgot the W in front of the KRP :laugh:
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Hey thanks for the invite, but 3pm M-F is when Gary, Jack and I play.
What names do you use on TS or what room do you use in Kali? Sometimes there's just 2 of us and it would be fun to get together for a foursome. :nod:
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

We use t he Stock Courses room most of the time but they are all mostly empty . Ken uses his initial KRP and I use my first name, Spencer. I wonder if the reason more people are not using Kali is that they simply dont know how to join/ access Kali. I would never had been able to get into Kali to play on line if it had not been for the help I received from Dar. Spencer.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

sorry, I should also mention that we use Skype t o communicate while playing. neither of us has teamspeak. If you have not tried Skype lately you really should. Spencer.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

The old WON server (now defunct) used TCP/IP packet protocol. That is what allowed anyone to get online, regardless of the flavor of operating system used.

Unfortunately, Kali uses only IPX as its data transfer protocol. IPX was invented about the same time as the internal combustion engine... :laugh: In the later versions of windows (Vista and 7), Microsoft dropped IPX support... mumbling something about security issues or some such. So, only windows XP or earlier can use Kali.

We are still keeping an eye out for an alternative that would work with TCP/IP. I thought we had found one with Gameranger. But alas, several features of PGA2000 didn't work in Gameranger. Notably, the right click functions didn't work. Also, we had little success getting more than a 2-3 player game going. We asked the web master to make some changes for us and he basically ignored our requests. I dogged him for a while until he told me to leave him alone (in slightly stronger language of course). So that option is dead.

We will keep looking.
Dar