The Village Golf Club

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

The Village Golf Club

Post by tarheel »

Course: The Village Golf Club
By: Galen Geier

http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... evised.zip

The latest from Galen, in brief, is not a traditional course. As he states, this course is built near a retirement village, and those people were in mind when the course was created. He also states that it is encouraged to play with irons only.

After playing a round, where I did a couple of things against the grain...I can honestly say that those retirees surely must have once played on the pro circuit, because this golf course is a real challenge! The length is short, and it is par 68, which emphasizes the recommendation to play with irons, and (against the grain), I actually had my woods out there with me. I had made the mistake of playing before reading the recommendation, and I immediately noticed that I could really get the ball close from the tees. Now, I will tell you, this does not mean the woods will help you out. In fact, you might feel the wood cracking on your tush, because driving far can get you in trouble on this course, and sticking a green on a short par 4 will be a stroke of genius or luck.

Once on the greens, you will find, at least on pin 1, that you are in for something. The greens are tricky, tricky and tricky. A couple of times I must admit I resorted to putting a divot on the green with a chip...something I rarely ever do, and which I know some people frown upon. You will really find out how good your reading skill is on most of the holes. Having said that, if you are smart on the tee shots and keep in on the short stuff, you should be due for a lob wedge or sand wedge to get you close to the hole and avoid the challenges a little. I really did enjoy reading the slopes when wedging it on board, and it was fun to watch the backspin take off!

The course is visually extremely appealing, and I applaud that great job with continuity throughout the course.

Overall, I would next time play this as recommended with the irons, and I would keep my wedges off the green surface :) This is a course to play with a nice glass of Pinot and some calm string music playing, and just enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the course Galen!

Here is my round
Medium - Hard - Pin 1