First Design - Chicago Golf Club

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bj104
Weekend Duffer

First Design - Chicago Golf Club

Post by bj104 »

Hi everyone,

My name is Brad and I have been playing GBC for many years, but haven't been too active as far as posting in the forums, up until this point. I have marveled at the amazing courses put out over the years, always having tremendous respect for the time and effort that goes into building every course. I never really got the itch to try out designing for myself, given there are literally thousands of courses to choose from already (which is also why GBC is my favorite golf game). Well, for some reason I decided to fire up the designer a few weeks ago just to play around with it, and I have to say, it is very addicting and I feel like I have missed out not getting into it sooner.

My favorite course architects are Seth Raynor and CB McDonald, though I am also a big fan of Tillinghast and Ross, and also more contemporary names like Hanse, Doak, Coore/Crenshaw. I figured that I would give Chicago Golf Club a shot as my first course, as it is such a quintessential Raynor/McDonald course and seemed doable for a first design, albeit maybe a bit ambitious. I really appreciate the help provided on this forum so far, and look forward to completing this and more courses to come! Thinking about North Berwick as my next course, but time will tell. Anyways, here is an early look at Chicago Golf Club:

1st green

View from left side of 2nd fairway

My favorite hole, the Biarritz 3rd

The Leven 5th

Double Plateau 6th

Redan 7th

View from 9th green back toward fairway, with 10 green on the left
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: First Design - Chicago Golf Club

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

always good to welcome another designer on-board. The GBC designer is quite simple to use and there are many designers who can help you with any issues you come across. Looks like your first design is coming along nicely. Real courses are always difficult, so make sure you take your time and do it justice.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Congratulations on getting started! I have never tried to design, but I know there are and were many who enjoyed the design process more than playing! I look forward to seeing your work.
bj104
Weekend Duffer

Post by bj104 »

Thanks Brad and tarheel, I’m working on finishing up the back nine soon, followed by lots of play testing to make sure I have the course playing and looking as accurate as possible. More to come!
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

just as an aside, Tarheel's real name is also Brad.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

BradTheDad wrote: August 30th, 2023, 5:25 pm Hi Brad,

Cheers

Brad
Brad’s of three! Now that you don’t see every day :)
bj104
Weekend Duffer

Post by bj104 »

tarheel wrote: August 30th, 2023, 7:57 pm
BradTheDad wrote: August 30th, 2023, 5:25 pm Hi Brad,

Cheers

Brad
Brad’s of three! Now that you don’t see every day :)
Ha! That is awesome, always good to run into other Brads :D