Club distances?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
TenSixty6
Chronic Slicer

Club distances?

Post by TenSixty6 »

So, I recently updated my golfer from "standard" to "advanced." I was getting very frustrated with only carrying a 3 iron about 170 yards. But I'm still noticing my shots are, in general, short on carry, and long on run out. Is it common with anyone else for a drive to only carry about 220-250 yards into the wind? A bit frustrating. It's been about 10 years since I had the game, and I'm still learning the ropes again. This is especially given that the new PGA2k games give you WAY too much power with the driver compared to the rest of the club set.

Don't get me wrong. I think this game terrifically emulates a run-on-the-ground style of golf that all but disappeared from the modern game. I'm just curious if I'm missing something.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Club distances?

Post by SteveHorn »

TenSixty6
My average drive with truswing last year was about 260 yards and it is about 267 with tri click. Yes, it's not unusual to only carry 220 to 250 in the air into a wind, or 250 with no wind or only a little helping wind. If I need to carry a water hazard think long and hard as to how you want to play it. Actually, I've learned that a flop shot can be very useful with any club. However you need to practice with that shot ALOT and change its degrees at a lower setting to get good distance. The longer the club the more of a big slice will happen.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

When I'm designing holes I basically use the driving distances that Steve provided.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes this is normal. One thing about this game is mishits tend to not carry as far so you have to think more carefully if you wan to try to carry a hazard and there's a little more pressure involved. Sometimes that can be frustrating if you are mishitting a lot of shots, but I'd rather error on this side then the 350 yard drives of the 2k games, where most real courses don't even challenge you. That game really exposes the distance problem in the pro game today. It's not such a problem for the average golfer and PGA 2000 still plays the way the average golfer plays today.