Golden Gate Heights - Steve Holden

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Golden Gate Heights - Steve Holden

Post by tarheel »

New course, Golden Gate Heights, from Steve Holden is now available for download at this location:

http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... eights.zip

Type: Fictitious
Par: 72
Distance: 7510 from black tees

I finally got a chance to play this incredible golf course. I played from the black tees with medium winds and normal greens. My round is attached below if you would like to play along. IMHO this is one of Steve's finest releases. I am a sucker for these California coast golf courses, and this one does the genre proud, with a fantastic transition from the wooded to the seaside. Very well crafted, with enough rolling fairways and mounds on greens to keep it interesting, and lots of little interesting things along the sides of each hole to give a very real world natural feel. Seeing the bridge peeking in the background was immersive. I LOVE the tempered use of elevation changes, bravo!

I found each hole required thought with landing areas and approaches on the 4's and 5's were nicely varied. Sometimes with sidehill lies (probably I didnt find the best landing area in those cases), quite a few with downhill lies (really hard for me to judge, especially when hitting some bumps on the green...), and others on the flat or upslope. Never a boring shot.

Good mix of distances on the par 3's as well. Good luck sticking the greens! You may easily find yourself rolling off the back, or getting sandy if short

I didn't really find trouble from the pit bunkers, but I was careful to avoid them, so they were in play in this way: they made me think about landing areas to keep clear.

My favorite hole is 13. I did well on it, but I took up the challenge and sent a hard tee shot off to the very small landing area, which gave a better length second shot. This hole is one of many risk reward holes you will find.

I can't thank you enough, Steve, for creating this fresh course, and I've got to tell you its definitely in my top 10 of JN6 courses. I will play this one surely many more times!

My first round on the course:
Attachments
GGH-splash.jpg
(28.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 13th, 2023, 11:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Golden Gate Heights - Steve Holden

Post by Sundance »

Tarheel, Thanks for making the course available for everyone and Thank You for the very kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the course and hope everyone that D/L's feels the same. I never added a text file but each hole is laid out and explained briefly under JN6/course design/Golden Gate Heights. Thanks again Tarheel!!
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Post by mikey2020 »

D/L link is Delta Echo Alpha Delta. :confused:
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Try this, strange:

http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... eights.zip

Something about the color tag was screwing it up in original post. I removed it.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Steve.

Well, what can I say; another Sundance masterpiece. I loved the course. It is aesthetically pleasing and the options it provides the player are almost endless. Risk reward shots are abundant. Get it right and you can score well. Get it wrong however, .............!

I love your use of the large boulder objects, they really complement some of the tees and the transition from bush to bay-side is seamless and greatly enhanced by the occasional glimpse of the mighty GG bridge.

I am certain this gem will be featuring soon on the Old Timers Tour.

Cheers mate, and keep 'em coming.

Brad
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brad, Thank You. I'm glad you enjoyed Golden Gate. It was certainly an enjoyable design especially doing the bayside holes and I flashed the bridge as often as I could. LOL
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

And I placed it during my WST West coast swing next March