Rabbit Hole

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
TenSixty6
Chronic Slicer

Re: Rabbit Hole

Post by TenSixty6 »

I want to design like Jim someday. Beautiful, smooth work.
TenSixty6
Chronic Slicer

Post by TenSixty6 »

SteveHorn wrote: July 5th, 2023, 11:09 am Jim
Your off to a great start with your newest course. I'm also working on a new course. It originally was going to be an updated version of one of my older course's, but I've changed so many holes so far that It is a new creation for the most part. Ten of the 13 holes created so far are totally new creations with new routing and pars.
I'm curious. You're essentially building a whole new course on the same plot as a preexisting one? Doesn't that lead to any issues with the architect?
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

First, thanks for the compliment, very flattering. But, believe me, there are a number of great designers out there that I have learned from over the years and still have a long ways to go. They are the ones to truly be complimented.

Second, I always start with a fresh plot though I do reconfigure individual holes from time to time as I'm working on a course. That can lead to some architect issues, most of which can be resolved, as when you start over the underlying mesh stays more complex than when you start from scratch (pic 1). Optimizing the area you are interested in at 6-7 clicks to the right can help. The second pic I've attached shows the mesh for hole 1 of Rabbit Hole. It looks identical if I delete all of the course shapes to start again. (Just realized that you probably meant the question to be directed at Steve.)
Starting Mesh.jpg
(795.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 1 Mesh.jpg
(801.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
You can view the mesh and identify problem areas using CTRL-ALT-t. The same key combination will restore you to normal.
TenSixty6
Chronic Slicer

Post by TenSixty6 »

It's good to have an answer. Thanks. Looking forward to playing your new track.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Almost done. Hole 18, Par 4 Approach.
Hole 18 - Approach.jpg
(726.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KSBC6499
Chronic Slicer

Post by KSBC6499 »

This one looks like it could be your best one yet :)
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Jim
Great work. Will be finding a spot for this one on my upcoming season# 18 schedule. Not sure when that season will start but hopefully within the next 6 weeks, or once I get done fiddling with the architect and get everything else done to start a new season.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Thanks guys!

I'm uploading the course now.
Rabbit Hole.jpg
(142.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Course plays 7,013 yds, par 70.
Two par 4 holes over 500 yds long (caddy can suggest wrong club).
Two par 3 holes over 250 yds long.
Being on the correct side of the fairway on par 4s and 5s can be critical for an open second shot.
All planted areas play as weed rough.
Difficult to distinguish between short rough, rough and weed rough as they are all created from the same texture, just reduced in size from weed rough to short rough.
Greens on the first three holes are gently sloped but no real undulations given their location. After that, greens are typically much more undulated.
May be my hardest course to play to date :)
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Jim
Wow 7,000 plus yards at par 70 is a long course for PGA2000 distance or should I say the distance you hit clubs. Looking forward to playing Rabbit Hole.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

If you are interested in obtaining a copy of Rabbit Hole, shoot me a PM with an email address and I will send you a dropbox link.