Winston Heath GC by Göran Mentzer

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Winston Heath GC by Göran Mentzer

Post by tarheel »

Now available for download is Winston Heath Golf Club. This is a fictional heathland course in England by Göran Mentzer. You can find the download link just below.

http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... th-GBC.zip

I'll play it this week and post up a round for you to play along with. Can't wait to see this. A long time coming!

Number 3 from the tee

Attachments
winston-heath-splash.jpg
(55.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
winston-heath-3fromtee.jpg
(223.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WHGC_1.jpg
(862.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WHGC_2.jpg
(940.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: Winston Heath GC by Göran Mentzer

Post by tarheel »

I just couldn't hold back! Göran has surely been designing courses in secret for the last 20 years, because he has not missed a beat. This is a great looking course that easily holds its own in the pantheon of great JN6 art. I immediately felt immersed in the heathland, with beautiful colors, objects and texturing. As a course, its a fair test of ability, and keeping in the fairways is difficult. I would rate hitting fairways about 3.8/5 in difficulty. Putting, at least on pin 3 I would rate about the same. Distances and robust use of the power drive keep this course from taking you to the wood shed and giving you a beatdown. I was able to use short irons enough to stay content.

Favorite holes:
3: Pic above. I like the choice off the tee and option to take a blind shot over the trees or go right
15: Par 5 with blind tee shot over a mound
16: Little par 3 with horseshoe green protected by small bunker, tee over a small pond

Here is a playthrough with Medium, Hard, Pin 3 for you to play along with.

J'y retournerai certainement bientot! Formidable et bien fait mon ami! Merci.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Thanks tarheel, very kind although I am not sure I can agree about the difficulty. Almost all pins are placed on flattish ground and that saves me around five putts per round. Pin 1 are least flat.
And when comparing the first screenshot to my two pictures below, I strongly recommend the HD patch included in the d/l of the game. It is simply a different JN6.exe start icon that will allow you to set the resolution to 1920x1080x32. Will make the game look 20 years younger!
Last edited by Goran on March 31st, 2023, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Goran wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:56 am And when comparing the first screenshot to my two pictures below, I strongly recommend the HD patch included in the d/l of the game. It is simply a different JN6.exe start icon that will allow you to set the resolution to 1920x1080x32. Will make the game look 20 years younger!
Wait, what?! Where is this start icon located?? I've never come across that.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I tried it the HD, but I dislike the teeny tiny swing meter.

Re: putting, I must have been landing on the wrong part of the greens, because I didnt have many flat putts :bg:
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

JReel wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:42 pm
Goran wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:56 am And when comparing the first screenshot to my two pictures below, I strongly recommend the HD patch included in the d/l of the game. It is simply a different JN6.exe start icon that will allow you to set the resolution to 1920x1080x32. Will make the game look 20 years younger!
I figured it out. Wow!!! Cannot believe what I've been missing! Spending all night now playing old favorites to see how they look in 1920x1080x32 HD!! Awesome!!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

JReel wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:10 pm
JReel wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:42 pm
I figured it out. Wow!!! Cannot believe what I've been missing! Spending all night now playing old favorites to see how they look in 1920x1080x32 HD!! Awesome!!
Is there a way to make the meter bigger? Its really tiny in this mode on my screen
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks for getting the course posted tarheel, really appreciate the help! :D

Really nice looking course Goran. I've enjoyed reading about it's development and seeing the pictures. :up:
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Glad you worked it out Jeff, this was exactly my sentiments after adding the patch during the groupdesign. I honestly would have uninstalled JN6 afterwards, but still play it now and then and even designed a new course.
My everyday game Perfect Golf has resolution 2560x1440 but 1920x1080 is certainly good enough for me to enjoy all my old favorites from the JN6 treasure. I sometimes let Jack play an old DanO course in the background while I just watch it for nostalgic reasons.

Tarheel, if you play on a small laptop the difference is not a game changer. But on a big gaming screen or on a 43" TV like I do, I gladly pay the prize of a smaller meter. I even welcome the smaller interface, they make the course shine even more.
But I totally understand that good graphics are not important for some, and means everything for others like me. My brother saw my setup and also hooked up his computer to a TV, but when visiting him I realised he still had his old resolution for PG with every pixel large as a piece of lego without caring much about the difference when I changed it for him.

I put the HD patch on dropbox anyway, for anyone else:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejjzir7lx2yph ... h.zip?dl=0

Played with tarheel, attaching my round here for the more mortal players. If I knew it was possible to powerdrive 14 holes straight in the middle, I would have built tarheel-tees 50 y back on every hole. Very impressed :) Med-Hard-Pin3

Would be fun if you attach your rounds, especially if you play at my level so I would have a chance
Attachments
Winston_MedHard3 - Goran.round
(27.03 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Ha! Ha! You know, I think you just summed up the PGA. JN6 was way ahead of its time…players who could power drive with great accuracy always seemed to score so well on courses back when we had lots of players. Well, the PGA over the last 20 years, like JN6 did back in its time, has had to lengthen courses and even after lengthening them, the long powerful hitters we see so frequently has majorly changed the game! Yet another incredible thing about JN6…predicted the future :)