Design inspiration

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Design inspiration

Post by Goran »

If you run out of ideas for our co-design or any fictional design, the strokesavers website is a great source. I used it for my hole at Alainn, real courses usually have better hole strategy than I can come up with.
Below is a link to Carnoustie, one of my favourite links courses. I think hole 6 has one of the best tee shots, with lots of choises. It is a par 5, so for my par 4 hole I looked at my randomised hole window and tried to find a good spot for the green area and worked from there.

http://www.strokesaver.co.uk/carnoustie ... hip_course

BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Design inspiration

Post by BradTheDad »

Thanks Goran. That's a great resource.

Cheers

Brad
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

This is awesome Goran! Thanks for pointing it out!
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

It is only a sample, only a few courses are free to watch. But St Andrews, Royal Troon, Carnoustie, Vallderrama, Gleneagles and Skibo are available. Good enough inspiration for a couple of JN6 courses.
I often used real holes for my fictional designs, but only as examples of good layouts, did not copy them. Wellknown holes but also local real holes I played myself and just stretched them out a bit.
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Well, CB MacDonald and Seth Raynor had their template holes that they copied over and over. So, good enough for them, good enough for us! :bg:
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Very good point Jeff, nothing wrong with copying good template layouts :) But I always have more fun copying them and place the hole layouts on a random ground and add my own ideas. I use them more like a starting points, sometimes they are not recognisable after I mess with the originals :bg: