'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

Post by Sundance »

And so it begins. This will be a journey as we begin posting the 2022 Group Design. We will show the holes in numerical sequence with a small description of each hole. To the designers there is no rush on your creation within of course a reasonable time limit as I'm sure that everyone of you are waiting to have your hole design presented. There is much work yet to be done but let us begin!!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: 'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

Post by Sundance »

Hole #1 is a 399 yard par 4 by Charlie Roberts. In his own words:

Hole 1 is a par 4 that plays 402 yards from the back tees toward the Campbell farm. The hole doglefts right and goes slightly uphill to a receptive green guarded on the front left and right by greenside bunkers. The best approach angle to the green is from the right side of the fairway where a well-placed drive will open up the hole for your approach shot with a short iron. However, to reach this optimum point on the right side of the fairway will require a drive of 250+ yards to fly the fairway bunkers that protect the right side of the fairway. A safer tee shot can be played left of the fairway bunkers, but this will leave a slightly longer approach shot and will not provide the best approach angle to the green because the golfer will then have to negotiate the front left bunker. One can also play the tee shot down the right side of the fairway short of the fairway bunkers. This will preserve the best angle to the green, but will leave a longer approach shot with a medium iron.
Views from the tee, looking back from the landing area and looking towards the green and the green itself.Image

Attachments
ClipboardAT2.jpg
(537.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ClipboardAT1.jpg
(746.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
ClipboardAT4.jpg
(651.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ClipboardAT3.jpg
(558.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Fantastic first hole Charlie!!!
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Great looking hole Charlie, but I would expect nothing less from such an accomplished designer. I can't get over how well your textures match Steve's BG. Good write-up too.

Looking forward to your second hole. :up:

Cheers

Brad
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

One of the loveliest first hole tee views I seen Charlie. Perfect set up to give the tune for the rest of us. I am doing the 18th and will try to match the clubhouse areas, is that the Tavern object you use for clubhouse? And I also laid out a road to the left of the hole, is that the lava texture?

One thing I would do is to drop the group houses near the ocean (looking back from fairway to the left), they dont seem to belong there, other than that fantastic work!
Charlie
Shotmaker

Post by Charlie »

Thanks, Goran.

The clubhouse object is not the tavern, but instead the stately looking building directly behind and across the parking pavement from the first tee with ivy growing down the sides.

The road is actually the cart path in asphalt.

There are two groups of houses extending both directions behind the first tee - one group goes through the town in one direction along the coast; the other group, which you mentioned, goes the other direction along the coast. I don't feel strongly about the group you mentioned. Looking back from the tee, I thought this group provided some balance to the seaside town. But, when viewed from the fairway and the green the angle of that group of houses appears to head a bit toward the ocean, instead of down the coast. So I have no objection if folks want to drop that group. But I think the other group adds some structure to the seaside village.

It's a bit easier to see what I am talking about if you swivel the golfer around on the first tee and look behind him. Attached is a short video that depicts what you see when you do a 360 view on the first tee.

https://youtu.be/M1vtbGWa5z4
rsugarman
Weekend Duffer

Post by rsugarman »

So I'm on the hook for hole #2, which is still a work in progress. But, I don't want to hold up the revealing of other holes, so I'll post a few "sneak peek" looks at what I've got so far. Thanks to Charlie's amazing first hole pics and description, I decided today to put my hole just on the other side of "Campbell's Farm." So when you take a look behind you from the back tee, you might see some "spectators" watching you. :-) By the way, I am still absolutely amazed at the skills you all bring to the designer -- outstanding!
Hole 2 is 444 yards, but doesn't really play too long. (Anyone else remember when a 440+ yard par 4 on the PGA Tour was considered a long hole? Now it's just a driver + wedge for most pros!!) There are multiple options off the tee, some of which leave better angles and looks into the green than others. I leave it up to the golfer to find the best line that suits their game. The green is slightly crescent shaped, with lots of subtle undulations. I hope you enjoy this hole!
Hole 2 - fwd from tee.jpg
(210.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 2 - bwd from tee.jpg
(213.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 2 - bwd from green.jpg
(158.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Looks nice Rick. I had asked for no sneak peeks until completed and then I would post in numerical sequence with a slight description of each hole. Thanks.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

That looks terrific Rick. Love the undulations and bunkering.

Cheers

Brad