2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-ONE
The Players Championship (rounds 3 and 4)

DAYS 3 and 4 at Jeff Reel version

The second half of The Players at TPC Sawgrass gives us the chance to see Jeff Reel's take on this course. I think this is his third iteration, with early version for JN5, followed by a very good 2000 edit. Our effort today was revised 2017 and I really think its absolutely the definitive creation for JN6 of Sawgrass, but that should not detract from Terry's earlier work. If my memory is correct, Jeff mentioned that he lives nearby and has played Sawgrass many times and thus has intimate knowledge of the course. Pins for this version were set accurately to the real tour at the time. Jeff is an incredible designer, and I apologize this is only the first course of his on the tour this season. I believe he took part (w/ Scott Antes) in an upcoming Augusta we will be playing.

This version is a little bit longer at 7177 yards from the black tees. So its still shorter than what the pros are playing this weekend. In real life, going into today, Svensson is -9 at first followed by Scheffler at -7 and Griffin at -6. Having finished my tee time, I plan to watch the rest of today.

Enjoy!

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 3: Medium - Hard - Pin 2 (real conditions were soft, I just goofed, so we are playing hard)
Round 4: Strong - Soft - Pin 1

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... l_2017.zip <--url fixed

:golf:
Tarheel’s event hcp: 7
Tarheel's .round files
Hole 18, a classic finisher reminding me of Pebble Beach 18 and Harbour Town 18, with water hazard to left with dogleg left and long. 462 yard par 4

Number 11, par 5, second shot view

Famous penultimate hole. Reel does a good job of keeping this hole scary. Pin 2 (not shown) gave me chills today.

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
sawgrass-reel_hole18-tee-par4-462yds.jpg
(180.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sawgrass-reel_hole11-secondshot-par5.jpg
(189.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sawgrass-reel_hole17-fromgreen.jpg
(173.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sawgrass-splash_reel.jpg
(20.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-TWO
The Valspar Championship

In this final event of the Florida swing, for the first time in a while our tour diverts from the PGA and must find a substitute course. Tragically, the famous Innisbrook Copperhead course at Palm Harbor is not present among our large selection of JN6 courses. The real location is in the greater Tampa area on the gulf coast of Florida. This has been a regular event on the PGA tour since 2000, and it has been hosted at Innisbrook since that time. John Huston was the first winner at -13, and Vijay Singh holds the winning record from 2004 at -18.

Our course, which will approximate weather conditions of the real event, is located in the panhandle area of Florida and is called Dagger Dive. It was released by Eric Plier in August of 2000 and is a fictitious parkland course, 6798 yards. The difficult holes according to handicap are on the back nine, and my first round score reflected this for sure. Fairways become a little harder to stick, but the putts are where the difficulty will lie. On the front, you should meet little resistance to a low score with approaches using short irons. I have Eric listed as releasing eight courses for GBC, and you might want to take a look at Zeitgeist, which is probably his best.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 3
Round 2: Strong - Normal - Pin 1
Round 3: Strong - Soft - Pin 2
Round 4: Medium - Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... r_dive.zip <-- fixed link

Tarheel's .round files

Hole 16 from the tee area is a 182 yard par 3

Hole 8 with a double fairway, par 4, 398 yards

Hole 14, second shot area, par 5, 514 yards

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
daggerdive_splash.jpg
(18.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
daggerdive_hole16-182yds-par3-fromteearea.jpg
(226.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
daggerdive_hole8-398yds-par4-doublefairway.jpg
(211.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
daggerdive_hole14-514yds-par5-secondshot.jpg
(231.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 13th, 2023, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-THREE
The Corales Punta Cana Championship

Two events in the PGA this week, the World Golf Championships Matchplay, which is the main event for the best golfers, held in Austin, TX and some tropical paradise play in the Dominican Republic for the Corales Punta Cana Championship at the Puntacana Resort & Club. GBC has neither course used in the real world for either tournament in the database. I was faced a choice of alternate golf course to use. My decision to attend the tournament in the DR leads us to play at the fantastic Teeth of the Dog course, 6897 yards, par 72, from John Thomas and dated 2/2012. I have his previous works to be TPC Avenal, Catstone, Pasatiempo, Prestwick, Princeville, and St. Mellions. He mentions that this was formerly done for JNSE and a little digging led me to find it listed in 1995 by Daniel Higgins III. I barely remember playing JNSE, but good chance I played it back in the day.

I think this course is lovely and captures the spirit of play in Punta Cana, so its a good choice to add to your permanent GBC collection. Have a great time, and I suspect scores can be very low with the forgiving greens.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Strong - Normal - Pin 2
Round 2: Strong - Normal - Pin 1
Round 3: Strong - Normal - Pin 4
Round 4: Strong - Soft - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... uiles3.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files

Hole 8, par 4, 393 yards. We have had some really nice seaside courses so far this year on the tour. Gosh, go back and look at them all!

Second shot on this great 503 par 5 with eagle opportunities, number 14

You can drive this one if you are accurate and have a soft touch, par 4, 323 yards number 4

Attachments
teeth_of_the_dog-splash.jpg
(21.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
teeth_of_the_dog-hole8-par4-393.jpg
(182.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
teeth_of_the_dog-hole14-par5-503.jpg
(166.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
teeth_of_the_dog-hole4-par4-323.jpg
(187.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-FOUR
Valero Texas Open

For the second week, the tour plays in Texas, this time just a little bit south of Austin in San Antonio at the TPC San Antonio (Oaks Course) for the Valero Texas Open. The Valero Texas Open, first played in 1922, is the 3rd oldest PGA TOUR tournament. TPC SA has hosted the event since 2010 with a win by Adam Scott. The course record for this event at this location is -20 by Corey Conners in 2019. Interesting place to have this tournament sandwiched between the exciting Matchplay in Austin and The Masters.

We will be returning from Punta Cana to play this event, but the tour course isn't available to us, so our substitute is the fabulous Lone Star Park Golf Club brought to you by Alan Koontz in 9/2006. It is 7074 yards of woodland sweetness, par 72. You will find a good variety of shots needed, and challenging lies after the tee shot to force some shotmaking decisions. I have other designs of his to be Hill Country Chasm and Suicide Cliffs for anyone interested in picking up others. I think Lone Star was the last course he released, which leaves me feeling a bit empty because he could have given so many other wonderful creations in the following years.

We played this course in early January for the Old Timers Tour, and after four rounds then, I did not find the course any less exciting with my first round back at this course since that time. You really need to join me and play this course if you haven't before!

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 3
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 4
Round 3: Medium - Normal - Pin 2
Round 4: Medium - Soft - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... r_park.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files

R1: R2: R3: R4:
Par 4 number 14, 237 yards to pin. How close to the pin do you dare drive the water? Landing area has tricky traps waiting if you overdo it.

Par 3 number 13, 133 yards to the pin. A hole inspired to my eyes by Pebble Beach, but maybe a wee bit more dangerous.

Par 4 landing area for number 7. This is an example where if you aren't thoughtful with tee shot, you get obstructed.

Attachments
lone_star_GC-splash.jpg
(22.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lone_star_GC-14-237yds-par4.jpg
(205.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lone_star_GC-13-133yds-par3.jpg
(159.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lone_star_GC-7-455yds-par4landingarea.jpg
(212.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 16th, 2023, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

As I head into this weeks tournament to play at the much beloved Augusta, I pause to consider what I have done so far. I have played 47 unique golf courses with 113 rounds of JN6 golf on the tour. Every design has been wonderful, and I get nostalgic, even now, looking on the courses I played several months ago. And, imagine this, I am still not tired of it all. I look forward to each future course. Strangely enough, I haven't even turned on PGA 23 on my PS4 in weeks. This isnt because I don't find it incredibly immersive, but its because its just not transportable with me since I don't have the PC version. JN6 on my PC is plenty on this machine.

And how am I doing? Well, I think I'm getting better. Winds have really gotten harder later in the season, two weeks ago with 4 rounds in strong winds, and gusty winds three weeks back. So, though my handicap is getting a wee bit worse, its under tougher conditions. My power driving has definitely improved, to the point that now I'm even brave enough to 2 click sometimes...putting is better, but its funny how some weeks I can't miss a putt and others I'm always off 1 to 3cm from the hole.

And whats my favorite course so far? I will NOT make that call. They are all different and I would gladly replay any of them.

So, over halfway through the season I'm just in awe of the hours/days/months of work put into the creation of the courses I've played, some even from a couple of decades and more ago.

Just take a glance at the start page of this thread (or click on link below) to see the upcoming schedule I have. So much more to see...

I hope there are folks out there who enjoy my weekly chatter, and hopefully some day, even play along. Let me know if at the end of this season you would like me to do something similar at the start of the next golf season. I'm thinking about a WorldSwing tour with some special weeks celebrating a specific designer with several of their courses, and sprinkles of cross over events with the PGA season for some of the big events (Pebble Beach proam, The Players, The Masters come immediately to mind).
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Very much enjoying it Tarheel!!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brad, I'm certainly following your every round and it's very entertaining, Thanks!!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'm enjoying reading and looking at the pictures as well and I plan to use your screenshots in the webpages for the courses when I get that up and running, so the more different courses you do, the better!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
The Masters

Course 1 of 4

First major of the PGA season, The Masters is probably the best known golf tournament in existence. Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts developed Augusta National in the early 1930's, with the former desiring to hold an annual tournament there. It was first called the Augusta International Invitational Tournament in 1934, because Bobby felt "The Masters" too presumptuous, but in 1940, with a change of heart, he agreed to the name change to what we know now. The Masters has run continuously with the exception of 1943-45 due to the war. Sam Snead, in 1949, was the first player ever awarded the iconic green jacket.

Our event this weekend will feature four versions of this historic course. First with Mackenzie's Augusta National brought to us by John McMillan in 6/2000 in its updated form from a prior jn5 version. This is a 6699 yard, par 72 trip around the original unmodified course of architect Alister MacKenzie and Jones. (Its now 7270 yards).

Overall, it looks fantastic I think, but you will certainly see that scoring comes easily in the face of modern ability to drive the ball and approach with very short irons. With this round being in mild winds and the rain not yet hitting us, with a shorter course, expect a very low score.

By the way, I just realized the course was not in our database here at the clubhouse, so I added it. Unfortunately, I don't have associated files it may have come with right now, so its just the .course file.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... millan.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files
Number 16, par 3, "Redbud"

Number 10, from the green, par 4 "Camellia"

"Azalea" number 13, from the second shot area

Attachments
Mackenzie_august-splash.jpg
(21.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mackenzie_august-redbud_no16_par3.jpg
(264.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mackenzie_august-camellia_no10_fromgreen_par4.jpg
(254.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mackenzie_august-azalea_no13_secondshotarea.jpg
(254.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
The Masters

Course 2 of 4

The green jacket. Bobby Jones had visited Royal Liverpool and got the idea for the Green Jacket from there. The idea, in 1937, was that members of Augusta National would wear the jackets to identify themselves in case the public needed assistance or guidance. In 1949, the first non-member to wear the green jacket was Sam Snead, after winning the tournament. Retroactively, former winners were also given the green jacket. The caveat being that the jacket can only be worn at Augusta, except for one year following the year of victory. The previous years winner traditionally puts the jacket on the current winner at Butler's Cabin. Obviously, the coat placed on their shoulders is just a fill-in on Sunday, as the real jacket must be tailored to their fit at a future date.

Today's version of Augusta for JN6 was released April 2003, and was an update by Scott Antes And Jeff Reel of a previous Scott Chesney version from 2000. Its par 72, 7340 yards, and at that time was modified to meet the then current course. Its really a great effort and worthy of long term residence on the hard drive. Elevation changes and difficult greens are all there to make you feel right in the event.

Our round is played in the morning, before the real event got postponed by rain delays and before several trees came crashing down near the 17th tee.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... _antes.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files
Number 2, second shot downhill to the green

Par 3, Amen corner, number 12 at Ray's creek. Classic.

Par 5, number 8 from the green back to the fairway. Notice the uphill shot to the undulating green

Attachments
augusta_2003_antes_chesney-splash.jpg
(25.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta_2003_antes_chesney-approach_no2_downhill.jpg
(189.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta_2003_antes_chesney-no12_par3_fromtee.jpg
(223.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
augusta_2003_antes_chesney-no8_par5_from green.jpg
(173.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jack-nicklaus-1975-masters.jpg
(183.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.