new to pga (not ole time pc golf)

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

new to pga (not ole time pc golf)

Post by tarheel »

Hi everyone!

I just came across this forum while browsing around, and was excited to see that this classic game is still around and ‘maybe’ works? I used to play quite a bit (and run a tour) for JN6 back before children in early 2000s, and then life got in the way. I always wanted to learn PGA2000, but never had the time to spend to master the trueswing vs my jn6 3 click.

Are there any tricks I need to know going into this? I have a newish pc on win 10, I believe, that I bought last year.

Recommendations to get me started much appreciated!

Also, as I recall, importing the courses was quite different than in JN6 too.

Thanks!

Brad
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: new to pga (not ole time pc golf)

Post by BrianZ111 »

Welcome! After you install the game you'll need to follow the directions in the first post of this thread to get it working in Windows 10. For installing courses, you also need to install all of the libraries that a course uses. Installing is fairly easy. Unzip them to the folder you want them and then either double click on the file, or open the course manager, click install and navigate to it. If you have any issues, let us know.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

step 2: I am getting a disc image corrupted error. Anyone gotten this?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

tarheel
Are you installing from a CD, or our you installing from this web site? Also you may need to set your security to allow for installs. One more thing set compatibility mode to windows XP. Make sure you run with administrative settings especially once installed by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator". These instructions pertain to PGA2000 not JN6.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Thanks, I discovered that right click and ‘mount’ was never working however I had to manually go in and do ‘open with…’ and the make sure to select that program. Not sure why mount was even an option at the top unless a remnant of an old program I once had and forogot about. I will make sure the compatibility things though you mentioned I do after the install finishes
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Up and good to go! Thanks for having this available and for the help!

Now I just need to find a tutorial/strategy guide to learn how to shape my shots. Plays very differently than JNGBC thats for sure
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

tarheel
Are you a tri click person or tru swing person? For your info I've always been a tru swing person but be aware it's generally more difficult then tri click. That's a fact despite what others may say. I've played hundreds of rounds recently on tri click over a two year period on different settings on dozens of different course's and conditions and my average is about 4 strokes lower on tri click then it is tru swing. Most of the time on tru swing if no wind and flat lie of the ball if I choose the standard draw shot on my drive it will go about 4 clicks left of center. The standard fade in same conditions as the draw will go about 7 clicks to the right. My average drive distance is about 260 yards. All this can change of course due to the wind, lie of ball and uphill or downhill shot. Shoot a few practice rounds first to get some feel is my recommendation.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I tried the tri-click, but that little box is so small. The trueswing is very difficult for me. I do sort of like it.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

tarheel
There is a trick to making the tri click easier without worrying about nailing the lines. Terry Grayson is the person to credit to learning the tricks of the trade of tri click golf. If you're interested, you can find that post he made years ago on this web site. It's a long post and very detailed in what to do. Keep on practicing that tru swing it's the only way to get good.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

For TruSwing you should turn off mouse acceleration if your mouse software has that option and turn off enhance pointer precision in the Windows settings as well. With these settings on, it messes up the timing and makes it hard to get a consistent swing in PGA 2000. The other advice I'd give is be careful not to swing too far past the end of the animation's back swing. Swinging too far back is another way to mess up the timing.

Having said that you will still get occasional mishits even following this advice. It plays more like real golf where you have to manage your misses and not go for everything. My goal was always to break par for a round in this game. If you're wanting to shoot double digits under par, it's probably not the swing type for you. Some people who used a straight edge and recreated a new player every round to take advantage of the tempo not being calibrated yet for the new player could go low with this swing type but that wasn't a very fun way to play to me.