Samuel's Crossing

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Samuel's Crossing

Post by Sundance »

ImageDarwin Samuel traveled to Europe in the late 1800's and was introduced to the game of golf. So captivated was he by the sport that he vowed to build his own course when he returned to the States. It took him seven long years to accomplish his goal but alas it was carved out through the land. His creation has been refined through the years to keep up with the modern equipment and the new age golfers who drive it longer and straighter than ever. Welcome to Samuel's Crossing and remember to keep your head down and swing easy!
A very early look at the first hole from the tee, the approach, looking left to right at the green and an aerial of the green from behind.
Hole #1 is a 561 yard par 5 with water to the left and a large bunker to the right of the landing area. The green is very difficult to reach in two and the second shot must avoid a large tree to the left of the fairway. The elevated and undulating green is guarded by three bunkers but this hole will yield many birdies with well placed shots.Image
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
(407.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard01.jpg
(422.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Samuel's Crossing

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
(399.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard03.jpg
(469.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #3 is a 475 yard par 4. Bunkers protect both sides of the landing area off the tee but the huge fairway all but takes them out of play except for the truly errant tee shot. The long iron approach must avoid the pond on the left as well as a huge bunker on the right of the dance floor. Holes #2 and #3 are separated by tall pines but you get a good look at the adjacent hole as you play either. Always one of my favorite style holes. Have some finishing touches on hole #2 before I show those screenshots. With hole 3 you see the tee shot, the approach and a view of the green looking back on the hole.Image
Attachments
Clipboard06.jpg
(471.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard05.jpg
(486.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard07.jpg
(442.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Charlie
Shotmaker

Post by Charlie »

Great sightlines from the tee on both holes! And some challenging decisions. I would have to think twice before going for the green with my second on Hole 1; looks like a tight, well-guarded target. Hole 3 green, with its runoffs, looks like a real challenge too, especially if pins are placed left and right, front or back. I would probably be playing my third from the greenside bunker most of the time. Coming along nicely!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Charlie
Love what you got going with this course. Hole #1 green makes Pebble Beach greens look large :laugh:
OOPS I meant Sundance instead of Charlie
Last edited by SteveHorn on August 20th, 2022, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #2 @ Samuel's Crossing is a 457 yard par 4. The landing area off the tee narrows aggressively with sizeable bunkers on either side. If you find the fairway with your drive you'll be left with a mid iron approach to a testy green guarded by two bunkers. Views from the tee, the approach and behind the green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard09.jpg
(393.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard08.jpg
(499.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard010.jpg
(433.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #4 at Samuel's Crossing is a 211 yard par 3. With bunkers left, right and rear and a very tough undulating green this long par 3 can challenge any golfer. The first trick is to stick the green which despite it's huge appearance is not as easy as you think so getting close to the pin is secondary. Par on this hole is good! Image
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
(460.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard01.jpg
(479.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
(513.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet