Registrations

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Registrations

Post by ADC »

And don't forget, there are always online "vultures" out there. Posters who are more than happy to move into a place others have left. Just see what kind of stuff they are posting, if at all.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

I registered at the previous site via the old Links Forum PGA2000 thread, and registered here today because of your recent update there.
I have the original discs and my intent back then was to download the highly rated designer courses, and check them out, but at the time (as I remember) the download and installation instructions were fairly complex and convoluted when compared to Links 2003 courses. So I sort of lost interest. Are there simple instructions available here now?
Cheers, stillgolfing
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Stillgolfing, welcome to the clubhouse and back to PGA2K.

I've given you a suggested way to install your courses that I've been using for 10 years; check your PM box.

Also check under the "Utilities" download section for Dar's suggested "A" and "B" course lists that might help you decide on which courses you might want to start out with. IIRC there are some 70 "real" courses among the 1600 courses available. Dar also has complete lists of all courses available both by name and by designers that roughly list the type of course each one is (ie, desert, links, etc.)
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

stillgolfing,

First of all, welcome to our new site for PGA2000. Glad to have you. :wavey:

Just a question... Can you read Microsoft Word documents? That will helpful if you can.

Dar (aka, Tincup)
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks Indy and tincup for your prompt responses. Indy, I PM'd you a more detailed response.
Dar, I can read/edit MS Office files in Open Office. Indy got me installing OK (course and Library files all go in "courses" directory), but if there is more info in those Office files then I'd be interested. I do have the original PGA2000 manual somewhere but I haven't dug it out yet.
Cheers, Dave
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Dave,

There are a couple of items in the Utilities area you might be interested in looking at:
1. PGA 2000 Game Setup Tutorials
2. PGA 2000 Game Play Tutorials

These are MS Word docucments in zip files. The first item deals with getting started with the game. The second is a tutorial on all kinds of shot setup in the game itself.

If you need anything, just ask... lots of folks around who can help.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dave! It may seem complicated at first but once you know how to do things its really very easy. Also if you keep a course you may want to compress it with most of the libraries (except stock). This way its a one step operation to install it if it ever gets uninstalled.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

SteveHorn wrote:Also if you keep a course you may want to compress it with most of the libraries (except stock). This way its a one step operation to install it if it ever gets uninstalled.
Thanks for you input Steve. I'm not sure what you mean here. I currently am putting downloaded course files in a Windows file folder then opening Course Manager and installing from that file (clb files first, and then the xcr or crs file for the course). Are you implying there is a utility that combines these for a one step install?
Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Unless Steve knows something I don't (and that is possible) IMO compressing libraries with your courses would actually be an extra step that you don't need to do.

If a designer creates a new library for a course he's working on, he can "compress" (attach) this library along with the course so that installation only requires the one step... ie, you install the course and the library comes along for the ride so you don't have to install it separately.

There are some 700+ libraries, and some of these have been used with a lot of different courses (for example, Woodford Park is used on 80 of the courses I have installed.) For your purposes, once the library is installed, a course you're installing will recognize its presence and won't put up the reminder/warning screen.

I don't know how many or what courses you're installing, but after you've got a few hundred libraries on your HD, it'd probably be easier for you to install the course then note what libraries are missing, then dl and install those. Courses will install without the needed libe(s); it just won't open in your game.

There is another utility called "Diguelo's Course Collater." This utility will list what courses and libraries you have installed. By clicking on the course name, a popup screen will list the libraries and what libraries (if any) are missing. This is a useful tool if you have a course that won't open for you; it makes it real easy to check for the missing libe without having to do a long search.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks for the info Indy. Well written and well explained. I'm enjoying my reunion with PGA2000. It's not the photo realistic product that Links2003 has evolved into, but it has it's own charm (I am an ink and water colour artist, and many of the graphic renderings on PGA2000 remind me of my own style).
Some members have implied the Course Designer is easy to use - not so with Links). I eventually gave up in frustration on the APCD (Arnold Palmer Course Designer).
I still have a few courses in mind (including the one I'm a member at) that I would like to design and play on the PC; so I may give the PGA Designer a crack in the near future.
Cheers, Dave