I’m from old golden bear den anyone still playing?

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Leetwk
Range Rookie

I’m from old golden bear den anyone still playing?

Post by Leetwk »

:) still have all the old courses. Send me a email if you want to play
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: I’m from old golden bear den anyone still playing?

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Lee, there are quite a few of the "old-timers" from the Den who have moved over to this new site, but, as yet, there is no formal competition going. Galen was running a monthly comp before the Den's demise, but I don't know if he is keen to continue running competitions, as he has done so for many years now.

What we need is someone with the IT knowledge and the time to run any new comps. Unfortunately, I have neither of these prerequisites.

As I am in Australia, playing online is pretty well out of the question for me, due to time zone differences, but I am happy to post rounds for people to play against, in a semi-formal comp, if people would be interested.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I don't have the software I used to have to create a website like I had for the WorldSwing Tour, but I'm wondering if there is a way to just play by forum for a while? I probably could create a spread sheet or something to track. Would be fun to play weekly rounds again.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

like you, I miss the competition rounds we used to get to play on the tours. If you're interested, I am happy to play one on one competitions with you. We can play individual rounds. multiple round events, Stroke play or Match play, whatever takes your fancy. We just have to play rounds, save them and send them to each other to play against. For example, in a four round event I might play Rounds 1 and 3 first and send them to you and you play Rounds 2 and 4 first and send them to me to play against. We then work out who won over the four rounds. We don't even have to play all four rounds on the same course. What do you think?

Of course, it would be better if we could get a group of us playing competition together, just like the good old days!

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Sounds pretty good! My skills are certainly not what they were :)

That said, I like the idea. What pace would you be able to do? Maybe play a round early week to send to each other, then play later in the week with the saved round so that every two weeks we essentially have 2 rounds each?

THus 4 courses a month and 8 rounds a month?

I’d say we could go the usual rules, no replay, no mulligan, default short gimmes?

We could alternate weeks choosing golf course, and I’ll let you start the decisions. Conditions, maybe try to figure out based on local weather for where the course is if real or fictional (?)

Maybe if we go by forum, others might get interested.

As an example of where I'm at skillwise right now, I just played La Costa on Medium, 2, normal and hit a 68. Missed way too many putts by an inch :)
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

sounds good. I will have a crack at La Costa to see how I go and we can use that as a basis for our starting handicaps. Then I'll pick a course and play against it over the weekend and send it to you to play against. Later in the week you can pick a course and play a round and send it to me to play against. That way we will have a four round tournament each two weeks. How does that sound? I'll see if I can make up some sort of spreadsheet/table to keep our scratch scores, handicap scores and our ongoing handicaps.

I'll get back to you soon with how I went at La Costa.

Cheers

Brad
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Hi Fellas,

Count me in ........

How about making a thread for posting the rounds ?
It would be nice to have a scheduled date for the rounds to be completed by too!

randy
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hey Partner!

Unbelievably, I was thinking of writing to you to see if you were interested in joining us.

"Great minds think alike!"

I am sure that Brad "Tarheel" would be more than happy for others to challenge us.

From a Handicap and Stableford (when possible) perspective, I guess everybody who wants to join in needs to play La Costa under the conditions that Brad played (Medium, Pin 2, Normal Winds) and tell me what their score was, using the normal rules of no replays, no mulligans and no gimmies.

For example, Brad scored a 68, so his handicap for Stableford purposes would be 14. If I scored a 60, my handicap would be 6. That is, he would get a shot on the 14 hardest holes and I would get a shot on the 6 hardest holes. Clearly, this would only work where the designer has handicapped the holes on his course. We can work through that.

Let's just have a few games and see where it takes us.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Groovy! I have set game to record rounds now. Sorry I didn’t gave it set when I played La Costa. BTW, I was going to post my Quail Hollow round in a separate thread, but not sure the forum allows attachments of .round files
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad/Randy,

I played La Costa and hit 59, so will give myself a handicap of 13, as opposed to your handicap of 4. Please find attached a very early spreadsheet that explains how we could have three different competitions; Stroke, Handicap and Stableford. (Actually, I just realised that we could also do Handicap Matchplay based on the information in the spreadsheet.

Not sure if we can post rounds on the forum, but we could always do it via email if necessary.

Let me know what you think (Randy, I'll need you to play La Costa to determine a starting handicap) and then I will pick our first course to play.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Golf Scoring.jpg
(154.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet