Pictures

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Pictures

Post by DC#1 »

I still play GBC and it was good to see pictures of the courses that Jeff and Steve are working on. I miss when every course download had pictures attached to see if it was a course I would like to play.
Charlie
Shotmaker

Re: Pictures

Post by Charlie »

That's a good point. As they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words. I wonder if, to create a little more momentum for the Jack Nicklaus Series, what the folks here would think about featuring a published course from a different JN6 designer every so often (I was thinking weekly, but that might create too much work). The idea would be for a JN6 designer (and we have quite a few designers in the JN6 series) to do a short write-up on one of his published courses with screenshots, a short course description and a list of his other course designs. This would give folks the opportunity to see some of the work of these JN6 designers and a list of other courses by that designer to select for future play (or to avoid if they don't like what they see, lol). Following is a simple example of what it might look like, although it could be tweaked to include other details or additional information. Since I have designed a few courses (not as many as others), I have used one of my courses for this example.

Course Name: Kilcairn Bay

Real/Fictional: Fictional

Designer: Charlie Roberts

Course Characteristics: Located on the windswept coast of Scotland, Kilcairn Bay is a par 72, links course that plays 7077 yards from the back tees. For the fullest and most authentic links golf experience, the designer recommends that you play with medium winds (or higher) and hard ground conditions.

Other JN6 Courses by the Designer:

Wildwood Dunes
Royal Harbour Golf Club
Valhalla 96th PGA Championship
Valhalla 82nd PGA Championship
Riverside
Purgatory Creek
Cu'chulainn
Chickamauga
The Raven

I would be happy to provide a list of JN6 designers who we might contact. I'm not sure who might have their email addresses, but I suspect Steve and Jeff may have a few. Galen and Randy may have some others. Just a thought.

Kilcairn Bay Hole 1.jpg
(436.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kilcairn Bay Hole 17.jpg
(451.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

I totally agree with you both and that's a great look at your course Charlie!

We have review sections here. If anyone wants to take up doing course reviews or just a simpler write-up to make it less work it would be a great addition for any of the golf games here. The reviews don't have to be from the designer's themselves. Your example is a good example Charlie and something like this could be done for any of the courses by anyone willing. If the reviewer for example doesn't know of all the other courses created by a particular designer we could add those other courses as soon as they are brought to our attention.

If there are any takers let me know. I would also set up a sticky in the reviews section so each write-up is listed in the sticky. The link would then point to the appropriate course/write-up thread. I'll also happily format the write-up so we have a similar/familiar theme for all these types of things across the forum.

I'll take your post as an example Charlie and show you what I mean with how I'd like to lay things out. Any comments or further suggestions on any of this topic welcomed.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Kilcairn Bay

Real/Fictional:
Fictional

Designer:
Charlie Roberts

Course Characteristics:
Located on the windswept coast of Scotland, Kilcairn Bay is a par 72, links course that plays 7077 yards from the back tees. For the fullest and most authentic links golf experience, the designer recommends that you play with medium winds (or higher) and hard ground conditions.

Other JN6 Courses by the Designer:

Wildwood Dunes
Royal Harbour Golf Club
Valhalla 96th PGA Championship
Valhalla 82nd PGA Championship
Riverside
Purgatory Creek
Cu'chulainn
Chickamauga
The Raven

Hole 1

Hole 17

DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I love your courses Charlie. I have all of them. The Copyright Club used to have volunteers review a course every week at it's peak. We could do something similar, not every week but monthly or bi-monthly.
Charlie
Shotmaker

Post by Charlie »

Thanks DC#1!

Viper, I like your format. It seems simple enough to repeat easily, contains some basic information and lets the pictures speak for themselves.

I would be happy to do some published course writeups and, if I have time to play, maybe the occasional review, but I don't want to be solely responsible. And I don't play all the games. I have played a lot of JN6 and Links 2003, so those will be easier. I have PGA 2000, but its not installed. I've played it a few times, but not for many years. Let me see if I can round up some help from my JN6 buddies. And, even I am the only one who does it, I can do one occasionally but probably not on a very rigorous schedule.

EDIT: I also played a fair bit of TW 08.
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Somehow the pic's of Kilcairn Bay don't do the course justice. One would have to open up the game, load the course and see the detail charlie has put into the course and matter of fact, all of charlies courses, another one comes to mind, "Valhalla 96th PGA Championship" let's not forget
"Purgatory Creek" also. All outstanding courses, tough but fair.

So goes for many of the designers for the JN series..........Thank You guys!

I started playing after I had a water heater installed, the guy seen my computer and asked if I played any golf games. He pointed me to GameSpy, and the hook for JN6, I didn't look back until recently I picked up The Golf Club 2019 featuring the PGA and The Golf Club 2K21.
His name was Sandbagger, I haven't seen him in years. This was back many many years ago.
It was great playing along with him knowing he was in the same town as me, cool stuff!

I met one of the games top designers in a town called Blue Ash, just outside Cincinnati, Ohio, Steve "Sundance" Holden. We had a coffee and talked of the game. Unfortunately, I only had time for a coffee being I was on the time clock delivering freight.

I would suggest placing Zips Chronicles somewhere, he gives precise directions on how to play JN6.
Zip had another *doc file with comments on many courses he played. I'm still looking through all the files I have to find it.

Thanks Brian, Viper for giving the Goldenbears Den a second chance to keep in touch with the community :up:

randy
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Charlie wrote: April 17th, 2022, 3:57 am Thanks DC#1!

Viper, I like your format. It seems simple enough to repeat easily, contains some basic information and lets the pictures speak for themselves.

I would be happy to do some published course writeups and, if I have time to play, maybe the occasional review, but I don't want to be solely responsible. And I don't play all the games. I have played a lot of JN6 and Links 2003, so those will be easier. I have PGA 2000, but its not installed. I've played it a few times, but not for many years. Let me see if I can round up some help from my JN6 buddies. And, even I am the only one who does it, I can do one occasionally but probably not on a very rigorous schedule.

EDIT: I also played a fair bit of TW 08.
Wouldn't have to be rigorous. I think something like the example is fine with a couple of screens. I'd personally even suggest focusing on one game. I think it would be best to have a comprehensive number of write-ups for one game's courses. This may even motivate a player from another game to then do the same for that game. It would be great to have a write-up and couple of screens like this for every courses available for a given game.
Charlie
Shotmaker

Post by Charlie »

[/quote]

Wouldn't have to be rigorous. I think something like the example is fine with a couple of screens. I'd personally even suggest focusing on one game. I think it would be best to have a comprehensive number of write-ups for one game's courses. This may even motivate a player from another game to then do the same for that game. It would be great to have a write-up and couple of screens like this for every courses available for a given game.
[/quote]

Now that would be rigorous, lol.

I will do some JN6 write-ups covering the courses of several designers (one course per designer to start) and see how much time it takes. I have the course files for almost all the JN6 courses, but I don't have the Readme files. I may be able to get enough information just from opening the game and reading the descriptions. But, if not, I may call on you to provide Readme files for a few writeups.