Angular shapes with textures

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Angular shapes with textures

Post by Jim Hall »

One of the things that drives me nuts about the designer, is how non-natural angles will appear when a texture is dropped. It isn't a problem, typically, with gradual changes in texture shape, but crops up frequently if there are sharp changes in shape (see the pic below). This is particularly apparent when there is a big difference in textures (e.g., rough against desert). Anyone have a solution for this or is this something that is generally accepted in a course design?
angular edges to textures.jpg
(69.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Angular shapes with textures

Post by BrianZ111 »

I feel like I've seen this before but I don't remember what causes it. Maybe too many vertices in the shape? Is it possible for you to find a place that wouldn't be too noticeable if you break it into two shapes? Seems like I remember having this with my rough texture shapes going in and out of 4 or 5 different holes on the Ridges. I used a bunch of blends to transition though so it wasn't as noticeable. That comes with it's own set of problems of trying to squeeze all those blends between a spot where another shape gets close though. Don't know if that was helpful, hopefully someone else has a better memory of what causes this.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: Angular shapes with textures

Post by DC#1 »

I've had that in the course I'm working on. I just zoom in to that spot and add more points around the curve until it looks good. Don't know what causes it either.