Interest in old games?

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Viper
Tour Contender

Interest in old games?

Post by Viper »

I need to know for the future, is anyone interested in old games be they golf or just other games in general?

I'm looking to put together old games for myself. I can also share these old games. Many will be DOS which I can make very easy to play for people. Other games may require a different approach but I can give easy instructions for anything I upload.
Please let me know if there is interest.

I will also be updating the Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition upload already on this site in the not too distant future. I'm making it more of a complete package so stay tuned for that. :up:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Interest in old games?

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper
How old are the games and which games are you talking about?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: February 19th, 2022, 12:07 pm Viper
How old are the games and which games are you talking about?
I'm talking any type of game from any time period that would not be considered illegal to share any longer. I've been playing games since the 70's and there are many games that today could be shared and are still worth a play. Heck, one is one of my all time favs and could easily be shared. Won't mention the name, keep it as a surprise.

I'm getting old games for myself and simply want to know if I will likely be sharing some of them in the future. It'll make a difference how I go about saving everything. Do I need to save games just so I understand how to easily use them or do I need to save games and have them in a structure that will be easy to use for others as well?

I'm considering this for the future. Maybe put up a game every month for download. It's just an idea to add some additional interest to this forum when I have time to start investing time in promoting it along with the old golf games that are and would be here in the future.

Nobody would be obligated to download games they have no interest in. Don't like this month's game, you may like next month's. It'll be another little reason to keep visiting the site.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper!
Go for it. Unknown how much interest there will be until, some people log in only once in a while. Maybe more will log in more frequently once they see that something new is available. Also have you asked Brian about this? After all it is his web site.
I really didn't start playing video games until the Super NES came out. I bought one for my kids at Christmas time and have been hooked on video games since.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

I'd be interested to see what games might be on the list...although I probably wouldn't have much time to play as it takes most of my available playing time to do the Play with the Pros for Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition each week. Glad you're still playing some classic stuff Viper!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: February 20th, 2022, 11:19 am Viper!
Go for it. Unknown how much interest there will be until, some people log in only once in a while. Maybe more will log in more frequently once they see that something new is available. Also have you asked Brian about this? After all it is his web site.
No, haven't asked Brian, no need. I won't be sharing anything illegal and I'll just be creating a thread for each new game in the general forum. No different to any other general thread.
ETphonehome wrote: February 20th, 2022, 2:05 pm I'd be interested to see what games might be on the list...although I probably wouldn't have much time to play as it takes most of my available playing time to do the Play with the Pros for Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition each week. Glad you're still playing some classic stuff Viper!
I'm someone who totally cares about gameplay and zero about graphics. I am totally happy with old games and there is no motivation at all to move to modern games because of their graphics. I do play modern games as well but I only play them if I like the gameplay. Most of the best games ever created imo were pre 2010. Golf games are a prime example. Old is good, new is poo poo. :laugh:
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah, I think it'd be fun to have in the OT section what you're playing now, why you like it, and how your current game play experience is going. If we get some kind of cease and desist letter we might have to edit links out of your post or something, that'd be the only potential issue.

I have a bunch of old games I got off the old Home of the Underdogs site from around 15 years ago. That was (is? I thought it disappeared but I just googled it and it looks like it's back) a pretty great site. I mostly explored sports and trivia/game show games. Doubt I'll have time to play them now but I might contribute some thoughts on some games I liked and it'd be good to get some ideas about other games for some future point when I'd have time to check them out.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Brian,
Shouldn't be any issues with the games I put up. They are all on the net already and have been for years. People just don't know sometimes what they are, how to find them and how to make them work. Having been gaming myself since the 70's, being tech and net savvy I kinda know of many of them. My intention is to simply put some games together so they are easy to run and everything is all in the one package. There are some great games out there still playable today on modern systems. If you are prepared to sacrifice modern graphics/resolution, the old games have plenty to offer. All the games will be good/well rated games from the past.
Anyhow, it'll be a next year thing due to time before I share them except for JNSE. The new download for JNSE should be up by the end of the weekend.
Fore!play
Novice

Post by Fore!play »

I like the idea! I've always primarily been into sports video games, but I might be interested in checking out non-sports games from the past that you recommend, Viper!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Fore!play wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:58 pm I like the idea! I've always primarily been into sports video games, but I might be interested in checking out non-sports games from the past that you recommend, Viper!
I like sports games as well so you would see some along with racing games. There would be all kinds of games. :up: