Stag's Leap by Jim Hall [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Stag's Leap by Jim Hall [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Stag's Leap (14.8 MB)
Type: Fictional, Mtn valley
Designer: Jim Hall
Date: 5/25/2021
Libraries Used: beartooth, coosbay, thelegacy, woodfordpark
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Stag's Leap by Jim Hall [New Course]

Post by Polslad »

Played a couple of rounds here yesterday and was very impressed.
Although its a heavily wooded layout, Stag's Leap has plenty of room to play with wide generous fairways and large greens.
This would suggest a easy round, but I came to grief on a few occasions on the putting surfaces.
Although the greens are open and look relatively flat, there are some very subtle breaks and movement in them that caught me out on a few occasions.
The course also has a very cheeky but nice short par 3 hole, the 12th, which I enjoyed.
I noticed a couple of other things included by Jim, whether by accident or design, which were the square green on hole 3, perhaps a nod to one of the real great classic designers Seth Raynor, and a hint of the church pew bunkers on hole 4, making you think of the beast that is Oakmont.
Definitely a keeper.

And to answer your earlier question Jim, I played the 2nd hole thus:
1st attempt - wasn't sure if I could clear the trees to cut the dog leg and take on the water carry, so I went to the right with a 5 wood for position.
2nd attempt - went over the trees with a faded 3 wood, made the carry but then ran out of fairway into the rough.

Polsald