Happy Belated Birthday Brian!

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Happy Belated Birthday Brian!

Post by ETphonehome »

I had scrolled through some topics in this section of the forum a couple weeks ago and noticed it was Brian's birthday coming up. I fully intended to do a timely birthday post to Brian but things have been a bit crazy :(

Therefore, Brian, I hope you had a good day and I just wanted to say thanks for having this site out here to keep the community of those that like vintage golf games together! I look forward to when the JNSE stuff is up to have some more fun on some more courses. :)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Happy Belated Birthday Brian!

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks :) No problem, I know how it can be with things getting crazy.

Regarding JNSE, I set up an FTP account for Fred to upload what he has. Hopefully we'll be getting the content up soon.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Brian, will this include GBC also?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

No, the GBC content is hosted at The Golden Bears Den: http://www.goldenbearsden.com/ The primary reason for bringing the JNSE content here is because it's not currently hosted anywhere else on the internet to my knowledge. You're certainly welcome to discuss GBC here on the forum though.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for clarifying. I have the GBC website bookmarked.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

After doing many hours of research (way more than I should have) to find as many (mostly real, but a few fantasy ones that sounded interesting) courses as I could find, I agree with Brian that there's currently no active website that hosts JNSE courses, utilities, etc.

The starting point for anything I was able to find was the links page of BrianZ's Golf Course Design Resource site. (Side Note: The PwP link should be changed to http://pwp-tour.000webhostapp.com/ on that page and the JNSE Clubhouse link removed as it just times out.) The best links were the first couple that were archived on the Internet Archive Wayback machine. That was my starting point to find additional courses besides the two that came with the game (English Turn and Sherwood).

Not all of the links to the ZIP files on the link to the main site with lots of courses were archived so I started doing generic google searches for 'JNSE course downloads', 'JNSE zip files', etc. I did end up finding pages that archived courses from when BBS was the best method to share courses. Therefore a lot of these courses are from the early days of the game (mostly 1992-1994 with maybe a few in 1995-1996). I bookmarked the 5 best sites that I found.

Brian Silvernail's site is still active so I took some of his courses and I found a couple active pages on a site that archives GeoCities pages where I found a few more courses.

The gentleman BrianZ is working with to get the JNSE items uploaded here, Fred (who runs the PwP Tour link above), has hundreds of courses and is working on cataloging them. It's going slowly as he's replaying some of the courses he is cataloging.

One thing I like about the PwP courses is that Fred tries to update some of the courses to more recent playing conditions as I know courses get renovated over time.

It will be a great resource once it is available and I am patiently awaiting its arrival for new courses to play and for more updated versions of the ones I have found.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks for your comprehensive research into this. If you want to pass along all of the useful links you found, I will add them to my links page along with updating the PwP Tour link. I've gone ahead and added a section to the forum for JNSE so that these discussions have a more appropriate home. For now it is just a clone of the forums the other games have here. If we figure out we to add or remove forums for JNSE's needs I'll be happy to do so.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

Brian - I emailed you the links I found. There are actually more but I limited it to the ones that were limited to golf (a couple have files for Mean 18 and the first version of Links but the substantial majority of the page has JNSE files).

Thanks for adding the forums for JNSE. I'm hoping we find some more JNSE players out there that can make that section a little more interactive.