Forum Maintenance

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Forum Maintenance

Post by BrianZ111 »

I don't know if anyone noticed but the forum was down for some amount of time today. After some investigation I discovered it was because my web hosting decided to upgrade the version of PHP on the server and it was to a version that the currently installed forum software doesn't support. They probably told me they were going to do it but I missed the memo. :laugh: Luckily I was able to revert PHP back for now but I need to upgrade the forum software to the latest so we are back in sync. I'm going set aside some time to do the upgrade on Friday. Just upgrading to the next version is usually fairly easy and doesn't take long but I'm quite far behind on the updates so I'm not exactly sure how long it's going to take and if I'm going to run into any issues. I do have everything backed up in case something blows up. So if you hit it when it's down on Friday, that's what's up. The rest of the website is separate and will not be affected during the down time.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Forum Maintenance

Post by BrianZ111 »

There were a few bumps but I think the migration from 3.0.12 to 3.3.2 (over 7 years out of date!) has been successful. If anyone runs into anything not working let me know.

Unfortunately we lost the custom themes that were installed as they were incompatible with the latest version. I will install some new ones in the coming days. If you see anything you like here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/3.3 let me know and I can install it.

We also lost the top header that links to the web pages on the site. I will have to see what I can do about that as well.

For now I think everything is functional though. I will stay more on top of these updates in the future.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Working good here Brian. :up:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian! It seems to be working fine but how do we currently get into other sections. Utilities, course downloads libraries?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:08 am Brian! It seems to be working fine but how do we currently get into other sections. Utilities, course downloads libraries?
Yes! Needs to be a link. I had to google the site. If there is no link it'll mean just creating a second bookmark for it.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes, I plan to add this back in when I get a chance. For now you can drop back out to the top level www.golfsimclubhouse.com and navigate from there.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

SteveHorn wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:08 am Brian! It seems to be working fine but how do we currently get into other sections. Utilities, course downloads libraries?
These links are now available at the top and bottom of every forum page again.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

With the addition of JNSE to the forum, I decided to add some small banners above each section to make it clearer what game each section is for. Let me know if you like it, like the idea but would like it done different, or prefer the old text only headers.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian!
Your new design with banners through me off a bit when I first saw them (with off topic area at the top) but yeah looks cool. Nice work.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I like the new look as it clarifies each forum. Thanks Brian.