New or returning players?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Viper
Tour Contender

New or returning players?

Post by Viper »

Any active or returning people come say hello and give us your golfing background!

I play everything old because I don't like the new. Been on cyber golf forums since internet forums have existed. For PGA 2000, although I never played the game back then I frequently visited The Copyright Club. It was a busy place and this game was in it's prime.
I always enjoyed keeping up with all the golf game communities even if I wasn't playing the game. Those years in the early 2000's were such a great time for virtual golf. We'll never experience anything like it again nor the quality of golf games we had access to back then. I ask why move on??? I love the old games. If they can still be run, I'm totally happy and content.

Games I play:

PGA 2000
Links LS series and 2001/2003.
Tiger Woods series
GBC
Gameboy golf! I'll try and get some pics put up eventually of it. Love it! :laugh:
chall59718
Range Rookie

Re: New or returning players?

Post by chall59718 »

I would like to thank Viper and whoever came up with the fix for Windows 10 to be able to play PGA 2000. I had to give it up some time ago because of the psychedelic golfer which was unacceptable. Like Viper, I'm a fan of the old school golf games. I play Links 2003, Tiger Woods 2004, GBC, and now PGA 2000 again. Of new games, I play WGT and I could recommend it as a sort of old school game. It's free and has about a dozen courses and worth a try to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada alone.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

chall59718 wrote:I would like to thank Viper and whoever came up with the fix for Windows 10 to be able to play PGA 2000. I had to give it up some time ago because of the psychedelic golfer which was unacceptable. Like Viper, I'm a fan of the old school golf games. I play Links 2003, Tiger Woods 2004, GBC, and now PGA 2000 again. Of new games, I play WGT and I could recommend it as a sort of old school game. It's free and has about a dozen courses and worth a try to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada alone.
You are certainly welcome and please keep stopping by. I know I would always personally love to read of people's adventure's with PGA 2000. How you play, fav courses, tough rounds you've had. You name it, if it's PGA 2000 I would always love to read it. :up:
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I am going to re-install today and have a look, see if I can get things working.

As for past golfing games:
75% PGA
15% Links
10% JNPG

and way back when
Leaderboard
Mean 18
Jack Nicklaus

and Nick Faldo had one out about 100 years ago!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Oh man,
It's back!
Everything seems to be working.
Only installed the original game files so far, no custom courses or libraries.
Gonna have to go the range, and as Ben Hogan said, dig my swing out of the dirt!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Had a couple of crashes to desktop but instantly recoverable.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:Had a couple of crashes to desktop but instantly recoverable.
Was that with or without Win 7 compatibility applied to PGAGolf.exe?
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Straight out of the box.
Only happened in practice rounds so far, and only twice.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:Straight out of the box.
Only happened in practice rounds so far, and only twice.
If the problem continues or you get the white flashes on certain courses, may be best to try Win 7 compatibility mode.
I had 2 crashes over a short period of time before I used Win 7. The white flashes were also an issue same as they were on Win XP.

Since switching to Win 7 compatibility, the white flashes are completely gone. I have had one crash with Win 7 but that has now been over quite a lengthy period of time in the game. The game seems very stable and functions perfectly. As you said, the occasional crash wouldn't be any real problem anyhow as it takes literally a couple of seconds to get back in and continue where you left off.

Hopefully in time we get feedback from people using PGA 2000 on Win 10 to build a reasonable knowledgebase. There really is no significant knowledgebase in regard to PGA 2000 and Win 10 as the game didn't work on it for very long before the Win 10 update killed PGA's graphics.

From what I can see already, there isn't a great deal wrong. :up:
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Still testing compatibility modes. Found Win 7 and Vista can both crash PGA 2000.
I'm now testing Win 8. It removes flashes and has been completely rock solid in places Win 7 and Vista have not.
Finding the best mode is a work in progress. I will continue on with Win 8 and see. So far not one crash or problem.