Windows XP fix for 64bit systems?

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

Windows XP fix for 64bit systems?

Post by Viper »

PGA 2000 is working great on Win 10 but I'm finding the well known problem of white screen flashes/not responding after some shots is occurring.
There was a Windows XP fix for this by changing compatibility mode to Win 2000 and disabling visual themes.
Is there a known fix for operating systems beyond Win XP?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Windows XP fix for 64bit systems?

Post by SteveHorn »

Only thing I can suggest is trying to find a thread on this site for a fix. Sorry I couldn't help more
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Thanks Steve.

Okey dokey, I've been working out all the things required to run PGA 2000 perfectly on Win 10.

1. Setting Win 7 compatibility mode cures the flashing white screen issue.

2. Running as admin fixes the architect.

3. The major issue is I found some courses are crashing and they can crash on load or when a certain hole is loaded.
Looking very much like it's a texture issue that Windows 10 doesn't like the course using.
Here is the complete list I have so far of crashing courses:

Augusta 2001
Augusta 2005
Augusta 2020
Boston Hills
Broken Sky
Donofrio Bay Links
Hideaway Haven
Hummingbird Haven
Pine Haven (East Course) Crashing at Hole #2
Pine Haven (West course) Crashing at Hole #4
Rolling Hills (Crashing at Hole #2)
Sierra

Now, I have not gone and checked every hole on every course I tried. There may be quite a few courses that crash on a hole I never opened.
I have tried all of Steve's courses as he is active here but not all the holes of every one of his courses.
Just for complete certainty, I also removed the Win 10 fix and Win 7 compatibility, crashes are the same.

I have gone through many courses (100+) and only a low percentage crashed. But, as I said, I did not try all 18 holes of the courses that worked.

The Augusta versions not working is unfortunate. If someone can confirm/verify these crashes please do.
Unfortunately this is almost certainly something every individual designer would need to rectify once it was even established what the issue was.

Take out the crashing courses problem and PGA 2000 is functioning perfectly in all other areas under Win 10.
Last edited by Viper on January 8th, 2021, 11:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper ! It appears by your current list of courses that 1 maybe 2 libraries are the issue. I'll bet that all the Augusta courses probably share some of the same libraries. Stock libraries should be fine. Also my Pine Haven courses are newer better versions of my old hideaway and hummingbird haven courses and share a few of the same libraries. Many libraries (non stock) share the same textures and tree's and such and this sometimes seems to make things unstable if to many course libraries are installed in the course manager that share the same things.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: Many libraries (non stock) share the same textures and tree's and such and this sometimes seems to make things unstable if to many course libraries are installed in the course manager that share the same things.
Steve,

I had earlier posts here while I was testing everything and mentioned the libraries. I've since removed those posts to make it simpler to read.
Yes, the Augusta courses all shared the augusta2001 library. I immediately worked this out and tried other courses that share the same library and they worked fine. I think it's certain textures/objects of a library that cause the problem.

Your quoted comment above is something I didn't know. I will test this shortly and post back. I'll try and cloak everything out except the libraries one of the Augusta courses uses and then try it. Cloaking should work same as removing the libraries shouldn't it?

Edit: Working on it. Managed to get the Augusta's working. Need more time. Will create another post when fully sorted.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote: Many libraries (non stock) share the same textures and tree's and such and this sometimes seems to make things unstable if to many course libraries are installed in the course manager that share the same things.
Okay! Success! Got the Augusta's working, couple of the other problem courses, all working perfectly!

From what you mentioned above and from what I can see from testing today things started to piece together.
I've found if you reinstall the libraries from any problem courses, the courses will work. They will work even if you have ALL the other libraries on your system.

I think something goes wrong if you "mass" install libraries. I don't think it matters how many you actually end up with on your system, it's how you installed them.
I just installed the entire 700+ in one go. I don't think the program can handle this and errors get made with reading certain libraries correctly.

I'm going to deleted all my libraries and install say 20 at a time. I'll see if this cures all future crashes. I'm thinking it very well may.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

I've had a long day but complete success!!!

EVERY crashing course now loads and works perfectly. I reinstalled all the libraries, 20 at a time, closing the course manager after each batch of installs. Once done, I loaded all the problem courses, everything works, all perfect!

I think I can finally say PGA 2000 is well and truly back on Win 10!
Cannot fault it, everything works perfectly now. I'll get the opening post in the fix thread updated.

Tiger Woods users may wish to employ the same library installing strategy.

Edit: Fix thread updated.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Steve,

Could the course architect be opened in the past if you had 747 libraries installed or would it crash?
I know I couldn't open it back when I had PGA on Win XP. I also bulk installed my libraries back then with the course manager.
I have just checked the architect now that I am confident I have 747 libraries installed properly and it opens, no crashes, without cloaking.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Also my Pine Haven courses are newer better versions of my old hideaway and hummingbird haven courses and share a few of the same libraries.
I just looked through the Pine Haven courses in practice mode. They look great Steve! :up:
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Evil Twin Libraries
Postby tincup » November 17th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Problem Libraries
Tul wipes out Carnoustie and visa versa
Tul2 wipes out Lagolochan Bay and visa versa
Snowcappedmountain wipes out MHOTextures and visa versa.
MHOTextures wipes out MHOTexturesvs2 and visa versa.

In each pairing, the one that shows in the Course Manager is the last one you installed.

What made it so hard to find is this:
Any course that uses the Tul lib will also run with the Carnoustie lib… if you are playing alone (e.g., practice game). They are essentially the same lib.

But if you have Tul installed and someone you are trying to play a game with has Carnoustie as the last one installed, then Kali will give you the “…. Altered” message.

How did this happen?
We traced the problem to a single designer named Toft who designed these eight courses:
Amberlea Grove GC
Buckland Hollow
Carnoustie
Glen Moye Golf Club
Holborn Heights GC
Kilmory Links
Lagalochan Bay
Tulaichean Bay

It is reasonable to assume that Toft built those conflicting libraries. We think Toft built the Carnoustie library by cloning from the Tul library. The two libs create the same registry entry and over ride one another. Same thing with the other library pairs.

If you are having problems with any course involving one of those libraries, this is most likely the problem.

Dar

Viper, I remembered this happening and just wanted to throw this information out there. I don't know if this was possibly your problem but I wanted you to know.