Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Help with questions or problems.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Win 10 solution for PGA 2000!

Post by SteveHorn »

tarheel
Yes, it's working for me in windows 11. Just remember to always right click and choose (run as administrator) on all of your PGA windows. You can just do the normal double click to open but sometimes it will run a little differently. Hard to explain.
spm
Range Rookie

Post by spm »

Hello, I just tried to download the DXWrap for PGA2000.zip file but all the links seem to be broken. Is this file still hosted somewhere? Thanks!
KSBC6499
Chronic Slicer

Post by KSBC6499 »

Hello
The download site has been down for awhile,nobody is sure whats wrong.
Here is a link from me to get the file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mrdayg ... sp=sharing
Last edited by KSBC6499 on July 6th, 2023, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shot meister
Chronic Slicer

Post by shot meister »

Could someone just zip the .dll file and attach it to a reply/ Thanks.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Here ya go!
DXWrap for PGA2000.zip
(52.7 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
shot meister
Chronic Slicer

Post by shot meister »

Jim,

Thanks a million! Will try to get PGA 2000 to run on my Windows 10 Pro machine ASAP.

Bruce
ken
Novice

Post by ken »

Hi there,

Before I start let me make it completely clear that I am NOT in any way a computer geek!

I've been playing this game on my previous PC running O.S. Windows 7 with no issues.

I then installed it onto my new PC (running Windows 10 64-bit operating system) from 2 Sierra CDs which say it's for Windows 95/98.

It runs great apart from the psychedelic, multi-coloured golfer which can't stand!

I have downloaded the updated DXWrap.dll file (180KB) and swapped it in the Bin folder for the old one (176KB) as instructed.

Now PGA 2000 won't start.

I imagine I now need to tell my PC to recognise the new DXWrap.dll file in the Bin folder probably by editing the Registry?

Is this so? And if it is would somebody please tell me how to go about doing it?

Cheers Ken
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Ken
If you installed the new DXWrap.dll properly in the bin file where the old one is and make sure the old one has been replaced and removed, I'm not sure why it won't start up for you. You can confirm that the new DXWrap.dll is installed in the bin folder by checking the date, mine is 1/21/2022 and should be 180kb installed. Try restarting your PC. See if that does the trick.
ken
Novice

Post by ken »

Hi Steve and thanks for your help.

I have just uninstalled PGA 2000 Golf and reinstalled it again on 25/01/2024 to see if that would cure it - no go. I again removed the old DXWrap.dll 174KB and simply swapped it for the new DXWrap.dll 180KB in the Bin folder. I tried again to start it but no go. I then swapped the files back to original with the 174KB file in Bin and it started up okay but with the same grahics problem.

I then right-clicked both DXWrap.dll files to get their Properties:

The original DXWrap.dll 174KB that was replaced said Modified: 02 May 2000.
In the Attributes section at the bottom of the Properties window it shows 2 boxes: "Read-only" and "Hidden".
The new DXWrap.dll 180KB said Modified: 03 January 2021 (not 21 January 2022 as yours says).
In the Attributes section at the bottom of the Properties window it again shows Read-only and Hidden but also:
"Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." with an
"Unblock" box that reqired ticking. So I clicked this "Unblock" box. Then clicked the "Apply" button.

A box then appeared with the message: "Access Denied" "You will need to provide administrator permission to change
these attributes." and "Click Continue to complete this operation." So I clicked the Continue button.
A box then appeared saying "Error Applying Attributes" with the message:

"An error occurred while applying attributes to the file: C:\SIERRA\PGA2000\Bin\DXWrap.dll"
"An assertion failure has occurred." with 4 boxes - "Ignore", "Ignore All", "Try Again" and "Cancel". So I clicked
the "Ignore" box. Then I clicked "OK". Tried again to start PGA 2000 - no go.

I got the replacement DXWrap.dll file from the Jim Hall post on page 7 of this thread which said:

Post by Jim Hall » July 3rd, 2023, 12:37 pm
Here ya go!

DXWrap for PGA2000.zip
(52.7 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

The original post on page 1 by Viper has a link for the new file as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73zi5nxyg7nud ... 0.zip?dl=0

when I clicked this a page showed up with a message: "That didn't work for some reason"

To get access to the file I think it requires me to be a member of Dropbox which I'm not and don't wish to be.

The only anomaly I can see might be the dates of your DXWrap.dll and mine. Yours is a later date and may have
different coding. I assume the date you mention is the "Created" date shown in "Properties" when you right-click the file.

So it looks like I'm stuck with no PGA 2000.

Cheers Ken
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Ken,

I'm wondering if you are having issues trying to install the game from the sierra CDs. You might try uninstalling and then reinstall using the following found on the utilities page:

PGA 2000 Installation Package
Patch 3.3.4.5
DXWrap for PGA 2000

The course manager, architect and the golf game itself should all be "run as administrator". I also run all three in the following compatibility mode: "Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and have had no issues installing and opening any of the above.

Hope you can get it running!