The PGA 2000 diary

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: The PGA 2000 diary

Post by BrianZ111 »

ETphonehome wrote: February 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm I had to make a post here with the mentions of JNSE.

I started out with playing Leaderboard on my Commodore 64 and liked it so much I got I bought Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf. The former was more realistic for putting and the latter more realistic for the rest of the course and scenery.

After I got a Windows 95 computer after graduating college I bought JN5. I played it once and did so awful I never played again. Apparently I'm not good at the mouse clicks for the swing. After looking around at computer shows I found someone that was selling copies of JNSE where the power bar was the same as Greatest 18.

After a very long absence I loaded JNSE on my laptop about 4 months ago and have been playing again. You do need DOS Box to play it and it works fine on my Windows 10 machine. There is a little learning to know the language to be typed in to run JNSE but it is not too difficult. The other point to mention is that you probably have to slow down the CPU cycles in DOS Box for it to play at the speed of the original game. You can do that by hitting fn-F11.

I have done some thorough Internet searching to find courses and have found quite a lot of them. I was glad to see BrianZ's post that this will be a future home of JNSE items! :) The PwP link helped me find a course I didn't have but wanted :bg:

I have tried playing golf in real life but kind of stopped after taking the lessons and struggling with the proper grip etc. But I enjoy playing it on the computer. I look forward to interacting with people in this forum more. If anybody has any JNSE questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Very cool to hear about someone else still playing JNSE. I'll have to get it setup in DOS Box sometime but I'll prioritize getting the content on the website first. I've ended up being busier with work through the whole winter than I thought but thanks for the reminder and inspiration to get going on this. :up:
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

Thanks Brian. I'll look forward to when you're able to post things on the website. :D I appreciated the post from someone else about trying JN6 but it appears that one was deleted. :confused:

I also was wrong with having to slow down the processor to slow down play of the game. That just makes everything take longer to load which makes your round take a lot longer to play.
Last edited by ETphonehome on February 17th, 2021, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Not sure, it wasn't deleted by me.
smarshallt
Weekend Duffer

Post by smarshallt »

Viper wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:26 am
smarshallt wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:22 am Me too. I've been practicing on advanced but find it just too difficult to be enjoyably competitive. I'm playing my first tournaments on standard ability. Still very much getting the hang if this again!
I've had no time to play last couple of weeks, so busy with work. Yes, I think standard is the way to go certainly for me. It also opens up using tough courses and keeping the game fun and using all kinds of course conditions. Advanced on a tough course with tough course conditions, "well hello there 20 over!" :laugh:

Keep us updated how you find it.
After searching the forum a little, found a way you can leave a season event and quit the program and come back later, continuing where you left off. Simply close the game using task manager; not the most elegant way but it seems to work. I've done it a few times; when I relaunch the game it asks if I want to continue. Now back to the practice season..haven't made a cut yet..LOL.. :)
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I seem to have got past the dreaded 'this tournament has been concluded' message.
I ditched the per-made season template, (2015?) and created my own from scratch, ensuring that the tournament dates were more than 7 days apart.
I've since run 25 events in the season and not had the error message once!
Also as suggested, I'm running both the game and course installer as an administrator, seems to be bug free at the moment (fingers crossed).
Really enjoying this great game all over again.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Ok, I've finally installed my collectors edition set from my disc and added the file to my bin folder and removed the old file as instructed. Before doing this I turned off windows update. My computer seems to be running so much better since turning off the updates and so far almost no issues with PGA2000. Haven't had to mess with administrator settings so far.
My first game I played I tested it with the tri click player and his standard settings. I shot +6 at Ingalls Creek but wasn't mad at myself. Haven't played in 2 years and wasn't a tri click player so +6 seemed ok. Next day I said lets see if its worth it to do truswing. I used the base player on standard and shot -4 at Ceilidah Cove at dusk. WOW -4 first try shocking. Time to try creating my own truswing player with advanced settings. Shot ok can't remember my score but decided to try playing the pre made amateur tour. At Hummingbird Haven so far after 2 rounds shot +3 twice but on the amateur tour thats good enough to lead after 2 rounds.
The only time my game crashed so far I was able to continue where I left off in my solo practice round. The other problem that happens is my ball often disappears when I go to hit my next shot. All I have to do is move my player then go back to ball to make it reappear.
smarshallt
Weekend Duffer

Post by smarshallt »

smarshallt wrote: February 28th, 2021, 3:46 pm
Viper wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:26 am
smarshallt wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:22 am Me too. I've been practicing on advanced but find it just too difficult to be enjoyably competitive. I'm playing my first tournaments on standard ability. Still very much getting the hang if this again!
I've had no time to play last couple of weeks, so busy with work. Yes, I think standard is the way to go certainly for me. It also opens up using tough courses and keeping the game fun and using all kinds of course conditions. Advanced on a tough course with tough course conditions, "well hello there 20 over!" :laugh:

Keep us updated how you find it.
After searching the forum a little, found a way you can leave a season event and quit the program and come back later, continuing where you left off. Simply close the game using task manager; not the most elegant way but it seems to work. I've done it a few times; when I relaunch the game it asks if I want to continue. Now back to the practice season..haven't made a cut yet..LOL.. :)
well..may have spoken too soon...tried to install a new course and now the game crashes but only when trying to play the course I just added. Not sure if it's related to the repeated closing using task manager causing some kind of issue. So back to the drawing board. Will reinstall game from scratch then try installing the course I just added and see if it works or continues to crash...
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I finished a short amateur season and have moved on to the games version of a pro season with names of players that are fake. I played this tour way back when I first got this game and I still remember who the best players where. I slightly edited the 10 or 12 best players so I hopefully wouldn't have to shoot close to -20 to win a tournament.
I'm still playing truswing and so far I'm shooting better then when I quit but not quite as good as my prime. I did run into the dreaded tournament has concluded message once in the amateur season and now in the Pro season. I tried several times to get the season to work by different number of players in a group with no luck. I did get it to finally work by using the random button instead of the by score button and clicking it about a half dozen times with 2 players in a group and it loaded and was able to continue the tournament. I'm currently in 2nd place after 3 rounds in the second tournament at -9, 4 shots behind. I missed the cut in the first pro tournament shooting a dismal +5 for 2 rounds.
I'm convinced so far that turning off as many background processes and windows update has helped with the truswing method.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I decided to make a pro tour schedule and abandon the game's created version to hopefully solve some issue's. So the Wally World tour was created my version of the Corn fairy tour to those in the know, with the games created pro's. Most recent event at Canaveral Dunes my truswing player finished -8 tied for 6th. What's weird is my tri click player finished with a -9 tied for 3rd.
If I could only putt with my tri click player. Tee to green with tri click so far is very good, chipping better then average, putting bad. Will continue this experiment until I fill I'm ready to compete on the PGA tour with one or the other or maybe both.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Putting with the tri-click is definitely harder than tru-swing. However, when I'm designing a course, I use the tri-click to to test out fairways and hazards tee to green as it seems more accurate and longer.