The PGA 2000 diary

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Viper
Tour Contender

Re: The PGA 2000 diary

Post by Viper »

That sounds great! I never played it so would be fun.

DOSBox certainly does work very well on 64bit. I haven't used it for a while so forgotten many basics but you can also set things up so a game will just auto run for other users. The user basically does nothing more than click a .bat file to run the game. Makes it easy for people without having to learn what they are doing in DOSBox. How you actually set this up, I have no idea. Might be worth investigating?

Looking forward to JNSE coming here!
smarshallt
Weekend Duffer

Post by smarshallt »

Viper wrote:As a quick update:

I've worked all through Covid, been VERY busy! Time has been minimal for games.
I have a little more time now so I looked to break out PGA 2000.
I'm so impressed with this game and now that it works on Win 10, heck, virtual golf could not be in a better place.
Going to set up a season, start exploring all the great courses I downloaded and get my 3 click game going.
I hope a few people drop by and return to the game now that everyone can play it again on Win 10.
I still sit here long after discovering things like the season capabilities of PGA and am blown away with the great job they did.
I'm totally looking forward to the next few months playing PGA 2000!
After reading these posts and the diary, I've re-installed the game along with the Win10 update and it works great. Looks really good on my 24inch monitor as well. I have fond memories of this game and I too really like the season mode but the only issue I seem to remember is that once you start a round, you need to play all 18 holes in one sitting to have the results tabulate; you can't save a round part way through and come back to it. Don't know if there's a work around for this.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

smarshallt wrote:
Viper wrote:As a quick update:

I've worked all through Covid, been VERY busy! Time has been minimal for games.
I have a little more time now so I looked to break out PGA 2000.
I'm so impressed with this game and now that it works on Win 10, heck, virtual golf could not be in a better place.
Going to set up a season, start exploring all the great courses I downloaded and get my 3 click game going.
I hope a few people drop by and return to the game now that everyone can play it again on Win 10.
I still sit here long after discovering things like the season capabilities of PGA and am blown away with the great job they did.
I'm totally looking forward to the next few months playing PGA 2000!
After reading these posts and the diary, I've re-installed the game along with the Win10 update and it works great. Looks really good on my 24inch monitor as well. I have fond memories of this game and I too really like the season mode but the only issue I seem to remember is that once you start a round, you need to play all 18 holes in one sitting to have the results tabulate; you can't save a round part way through and come back to it. Don't know if there's a work around for this.
Not sure, couple of the season playing veterans here might know.
I had to take a long break due to time from PGA but I'm just about to play my first full 3 click round. I set up a 10 tournament practice season mainly to get the hang of 3 click. After that I'll set up what will be my staple 34 week season. (Keeping things the same as I play them in Links)

I'm going to certainly add to this thread. It hasn't been dropped. It's fantastic to discover such a great game so many years on and know that it will be fresh for myself for years to come. My experience with PGA even inspired me to buy a copy of Tiger Woods 2001. I never played the pre-Headgate versions of the game so thought I might take that one for a spin as well. It's currently in the mail waiting for it to arrive.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Woohoo! First tournament round complete! I'm last! Yay for me! :laugh:

Shot 76 on a par 71 so +5
128 player field
Leader at -7
Cut would be -1 at this stage
127th player is at +4

I like the scoring spread. I'll have to see where my ability ends up but those AI scores are nice and tight imo and where I want them. Let's see where my game is after 10 tournaments. (probably 10 missed cuts after the 10 tournaments :bg:)

It feels a very different game to 3 click Links 2003 or Links LS 2000 but heck, that's great as well because I don't want more of the same.

Did I mention how visually appealling the UI of this game is??? My scorecard has looks to die for!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Second round I shot what felt a much more controlled 75. (One shot better than round 1)

Having a lot of fun and will now focus on improving and hopefully making a cut. I hold no hope of winning anything! :laugh:

I really like 3 click. Never ever tried 3 click in Tiger Woods. Might have to do that...
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Totally impressed with this game. 3 Click is really good.
I know it's still early days and I will improve but it seems equal or harder than Champ click in Links 2003.
I'll be interested where I end up with my average score but I don't think my average will be ridiculously low or even low! :laugh:
I went through a period where I would shoot 10+ under on many rounds in Links and then I toughened up aspects of the game.
Since then my scores in Links have been realistic. I'm feeling PGA 2000 will be the same.
It feels more like real golf with realistic scoring as you tend to concentrate more before each shot because you know you have too!
smarshallt
Weekend Duffer

Post by smarshallt »

I'm about to start a practice tournament as well to get back into this game... Just curious Viper, are you playing on standard ability or advanced? In my practice rounds, I''m having enough challenge just on standard..but I'm sure it'll get better.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

smarshallt wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:39 am I'm about to start a practice tournament as well to get back into this game... Just curious Viper, are you playing on standard ability or advanced? In my practice rounds, I''m having enough challenge just on standard..but I'm sure it'll get better.
smarshallt, persist! I'm using advanced, love punishment! :laugh:

As a life long clicker for most of my virtual golf I can see PGA 2000 will take more practice than other games. It's a really cool 3 click meter imo. Hitting the snap is tough enough, tougher than Links. Getting an idea of how little or how match to take off or add to power will take learning and practice.
I was never one to use charts. I'm glad there are no dots on the PGA meter. Understanding how much power you need should be by estimation based on experience, feel and lots of practice. Like real golf, this is how you learn how much you have to put into each swing.

The aiming marker again in PGA makes things a little tougher than say Links and forces you to play closer to real golf.
The camera views are fantastic in this game. You can Shift+click to move your golfer to any part of the hole to see where your landing spot may need to be. For blasting out of deep bunkers or chipping onto an elevated green etc, it's brilliant. You do same as you would do in real life, walk toward to hole to see where you need to land the ball.

Stick with it smarshallt. :up:

Edit: Busy atm, about to head out but I'll post a couple of tips asap that may come in handy to improve click scores.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I read somewhere earlier that someone had difficulty in season mode when the got the error 'round already completed' message that totally stalls the season?
I've had that twice now since coming back, both on the game 'pro tour' while I'm relearning the game.
I assume we are playing as single player groups?
First time I abandoned the season and started again.
Second time I tried a 4 player group and was allowed to finish the tournament and the season continues.
Will try 3 player next time, should it happen again.
Playing a 4 ball isn't so bad, if you hit 'enter' as each AI player hits the ball, it speeds the game up no end.
Don't know if this bug will occur in custom seasons, haven't got that far yet.

Really enjoying the game again, took me a while to find some rhythm and consistency.
Just starting to chip at par after about 20 rounds.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote: January 19th, 2021, 8:45 am I read somewhere earlier that someone had difficulty in season mode when the got the error 'round already completed' message that totally stalls the season?
Yes, that was me and Steve gave me the solution.
You have to check the tournament dates to make sure the next tournament is at a later date than the previous one. That's where the error gets made. The game doesn't always get the dates right.