The PGA 2000 diary

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: The PGA 2000 diary

Post by BrianZ111 »

PGA 2000 treats different windows accounts as separate as far as installed courses go so you'd have to run the course manager as admin and install your courses as admin to see them with the game running as admin.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Seems to be running a lot better on Win 8 compatibility.
7 tournaments in, only 1 crash to desktop which was immediately recoverable, and only 2 error messages, which cleared after closing and opening the game a few times.
Fingers crossed it continues.

Who knows, if it carries on like this and more people return, I may even think about having a look around the architect again!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Make sure to try run as admin if you have further issues. It's more likely to be causing the issues you are experiencing with the tournaments than the not running Win 8 compatibility mode.
Regarding the crashes, yeah, not a big deal at all from what I found as you can very quickly and easily continue on without losing a single stroke.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Well, here's an update of season bug issues so far.
I ran the game in Win 8 compatibility mode and ran a season.
Things ran reasonably OK. Any crash to desktop was immediately recoverable.
Got the tournament finished error occasionally, got around this by either restarting the game, or restarting the PC, or leaving it a while then going back to it.
Perseverance pays off.
I got as far as The memorial and hit a brick wall, tournament greyed out on the schedule with next tournament showing as ready to play. Select play season and the Memorial comes up, but wont let you add players so you cannot play. Total brick wall.
Started a new season as admin and win 8.
Played one tournament only, but noticed any crash to desktop is unrecoverable, you have to go back to the start of the round.
I'm using the 2010 season tour template.

So close, so close.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Just a quickie,
I've created a player folder containing what I think is the ultimate list of players from the various lists available.
I've copied and pasted it into the players folder in the main game, but it's not showing in the game.
Suggestions?

Thanks.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David !
I never used a premade PGA schedule. Maybe you should make your own short tour schedule (8 to 10) tournaments as a true test run. Are all your players in 1 file only? If not the game will only use the default file. If you still have a problem create 1 player and add it to the player folder in your game and see if he shows up.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Hi Steve,
I think I've solved it.
I deleted the stock players from the Pro Tour folder and copy/pasted my list.
Works fine.

David
smarshallt
Weekend Duffer

Post by smarshallt »

Viper wrote: January 25th, 2021, 2:36 am
smarshallt wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:39 am In my practice rounds, I''m having enough challenge just on standard..but I'm sure it'll get better.
Going to change from advanced/tournament tees to standard and either amateur or pro tees. I've come to my senses! :laugh:
Can anyone tell me if there are any disadvantages using amateur or pro tees?

Maybe one day I can switch to advanced but too early just yet. What did most people generally tend to use in the past standard or advanced?
Me too. I've been practicing on advanced but find it just too difficult to be enjoyably competitive. I'm playing my first tournaments on standard ability. Still very much getting the hang if this again!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

smarshallt wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:22 am Me too. I've been practicing on advanced but find it just too difficult to be enjoyably competitive. I'm playing my first tournaments on standard ability. Still very much getting the hang if this again!
I've had no time to play last couple of weeks, so busy with work. Yes, I think standard is the way to go certainly for me. It also opens up using tough courses and keeping the game fun and using all kinds of course conditions. Advanced on a tough course with tough course conditions, "well hello there 20 over!" :laugh:

Keep us updated how you find it.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

I had to make a post here with the mentions of JNSE.

I started out with playing Leaderboard on my Commodore 64 and liked it so much I got I bought Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf. The former was more realistic for putting and the latter more realistic for the rest of the course and scenery.

After I got a Windows 95 computer after graduating college I bought JN5. I played it once and did so awful I never played again. Apparently I'm not good at the mouse clicks for the swing. After looking around at computer shows I found someone that was selling copies of JNSE where the power bar was the same as Greatest 18.

After a very long absence I loaded JNSE on my laptop about 4 months ago and have been playing again. You do need DOS Box to play it and it works fine on my Windows 10 machine. There is a little learning to know the language to be typed in to run JNSE but it is not too difficult. The other point to mention is that you probably have to slow down the CPU cycles in DOS Box for it to play at the speed of the original game. You can do that by hitting fn-F11.

I have done some thorough Internet searching to find courses and have found quite a lot of them. I was glad to see BrianZ's post that this will be a future home of JNSE items! :) The PwP link helped me find a course I didn't have but wanted :bg:

I have tried playing golf in real life but kind of stopped after taking the lessons and struggling with the proper grip etc. But I enjoy playing it on the computer. I look forward to interacting with people in this forum more. If anybody has any JNSE questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.