PGA 2000 on a VM?

Help with questions or problems.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: PGA 2000 on a VM?

Post by BrianZ111 »

Viper wrote:On the second sweep of the library I only looked at 2006 and newer so it's no surprise I missed those ones. Thanks for pointing them out. I knew I would likely have missed some good early courses.
Chuck Gunsaullus has some really nice fictional courses that are pre-2006 that you should check out. Yannick Trives, Stefan Højgaard, Adam Brandt, Terry Grayson, Jorgen Ekroth, with course both pre and post 2006. Also around that 2006 time period: Pablo, IndyGoBlue/Indy Anna Jones, and Ogilvy2.

Robert Wagers was in a class of his own when it came to visuals. Robert@ also did some great visual work.

DanO, RS Barker, Duncan McMonagle (LinksLegend), were probably the best designers of strategic golf holes for the game. I learned so much about golf course architecture from these guys and the hole by hole design contest that DanO started. Look at the names who had winning holes on any of those courses and you probably can’t go wrong.

Dale Somerfelt did a lot of PGA Tour courses. It seemed like at one point he was striving to get the complete tour the way he was putting them out so often but we haven't heard from him in quite a while now.

Of those who are still around in addition to Polslad and Steve Horn there’s David Caygle (DC#1) and Doron Cook (Bryce).

I know I’m missing people. It’s so hard to remember all the great designers we’ve had.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:
Viper wrote:On the second sweep of the library I only looked at 2006 and newer so it's no surprise I missed those ones. Thanks for pointing them out. I knew I would likely have missed some good early courses.
Chuck Gunsaullus has some really nice fictional courses that are pre-2006 that you should check out. Yannick Trives, Stefan Højgaard, Adam Brandt, Terry Grayson, Jorgen Ekroth, with course both pre and post 2006. Also around that 2006 time period: Pablo, IndyGoBlue/Indy Anna Jones, and Ogilvy2.

Robert Wagers was in a class of his own when it came to visuals. Robert@ also did some great visual work.

DanO, RS Barker, Duncan McMonagle (LinksLegend), were probably the best designers of strategic golf holes for the game. I learned so much about golf course architecture from these guys and the hole by hole design contest that DanO started. Look at the names who had winning holes on any of those courses and you probably can’t go wrong.

Dale Somerfelt did a lot of PGA Tour courses. It seemed like at one point he was striving to get the complete tour the way he was putting them out so often but we haven't heard from him in quite a while now.

Of those who are still around in addition to Polslad and Steve Horn there’s David Caygle (DC#1) and Doron Cook (Bryce).

I know I’m missing people. It’s so hard to remember all the great designers we’ve had.
Fantastic Brian, thanks! You've given me all the information I was looking for to help in course selection in your two p;osts. Looks like a slow and careful 3rd sweep of the library is coming up!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Very nice to be remembered guys.
Thanks.

I don't play anymore, haven't got around to installing on the new PC I've had for 12 months or so now, was gonna, but been reading the posts about corrupt graphics and stuff, thinking is it worth it?
I do miss the season mode, gave me something play for. I think I won the Order of Merit once and 9 majors in 40 or so seasons.
Hardly world class but it was fun.

Playing JNPG at the moment. Beautiful graphics and courses, but its sterile, just round after round, no season mode.

Still pop in here to see whats going on.

David.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:Very nice to be remembered guys.
Thanks.

I don't play anymore, haven't got around to installing on the new PC I've had for 12 months or so now, was gonna, but been reading the posts about corrupt graphics and stuff, thinking is it worth it?
I do miss the season mode, gave me something play for. I think I won the Order of Merit once and 9 majors in 40 or so seasons.
Hardly world class but it was fun.

Playing JNPG at the moment. Beautiful graphics and courses, but its sterile, just round after round, no season mode.

Still pop in here to see whats going on.

David.
Dump PG and come back!

I think I read a post from you where you said you really prefer Tru-Swing. If this is the case, no, PGA 2000 is not good on Win 10. The animations don't display properly on a Win 10 install. Golfer, golf ball, wind direction flag at bottom right of screen, all screwed up. A VM works fine for clicking but Tru-Swing isn't usable. Only real option is to use hardware with older operating systems. Like I said earlier, a PGA capable machine you could get off eBay for virtually nothing. Get a cheap mouse and you are set.

I'm like you, love my seasons/tournaments and with Tru-Swing, should be an absolute blast!
I've played Links LS 2000 for 20 years and it's my fav Links version. Never tire of it. Win 10 has totally killed it as well, it can't be run.
I play nothing but tournament after tournament on LS 2000. Keep my own stats, look to beat past seasons results, scores, etc. You never get tired of it.
I'm thinking this might be my future with PGA 2000. As I will click in one game and mouse swing in the other, I can always play them together and have no timing issues. Both will be installed on the same PC as well so when I fire it up, I can play a round of each sim.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

More interesting findings.

I have Tiger Woods 2003 running again on XP for the first time since I switched to Win 10 as TW didn't work on Win 10.
With same cheap mouse used for PGA 2000, TW03 appears to be easier. I think it is waaaay too easy now.
What to do? Might need to have 2 mice plugged into one PC! lol
Cheapy mouse for PGA and a better mouse for TW to make the game harder.

I'm still working my way through downloading PGA courses. I'm grouping them now that I know who some of the designers are and picking up many courses I missed earlier.

Thanks to all for the help, greatly appreciated as battling through so many courses is a tough task for a newbie.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper!
I don't know what kind of average you have (mine at best was around 68 in my self created tournament mode about 45 events per season.) Some of these courses I recommended are long and tough for a newbie. My own scores had no bearing on how well designed a course is. Some of my favorites I had a hard time getting par or close to par from the tournament tees.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Viper!
I don't know what kind of average you have (mine at best was around 68 in my self created tournament mode about 45 events per season.) Some of these courses I recommended are long and tough for a newbie. My own scores had no bearing on how well designed a course is. Some of my favorites I had a hard time getting par or close to par from the tournament tees.
Ok, thanks Steve. No idea what my average is going to be. I'll have to start playing with Tru-Swing. I did some practicing earlier and I really like how it feels.
I have now finally finished downloading courses. I'll mix the courses up a little. Totally looking forward to getting to know PGA 2000. I think I will greatly enjoy it.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

My final word here I think. This thread has kinda developed from page one.

Spent quite a bit of time with Tru Swing. Tried different clubs, tried to hit full shots, shots at 25%, 50%, 75%, picked a spot in front of me and tried to chip the ball there, picked a target and tried to chip just over it.
End result, I think Tru Swing is absolutely brilliant! With the right mouse, it's just the ultimate mouse swing. The feel is totally that of real golf.

I'll start setting up a season from here, playing rounds, learning the game. I'll post back my experiences and give any course feedback sometime in the future. I'm looking forward to playing this game as much as I looked forward to playing any other golf game in the past.

Thanks again for all the help here and to everyone who has designed courses for this game. They will certainly bring great enjoyment!
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

I just added a Logitech G502 mouse to my XP machine.
The last Logitech software I could find for Win XP doesn't recognize the G502 but it does work as a standard plug and play mouse.
I might not have the features of changing dpi etc but I still have the G502's precision.

Trying it on PGA 2000, I'm back to no control over the swing.
Trying it out on TW03, I'm back to where I was with my Win 7 machine and old G502. The difficulty has increased.

I need to do some comprehensive testing or just play TW but on a quick test here is what I found.
With MK120 (cheap) mouse I was hitting driver with no concentration or effort and landing 2 feet right of the flag almost every single shot. Ridiculously easy.
With G502, even when the on-screen display shows I hit a straight shot and arrow indicates I hit straight, I might be 10-15 feet from the flag.
I really need to nail the swing perfectly with G502 to get the result I could get using the MK120 mouse so easily.

My Win XP machine will now have a very definitive set up.
MK120 for PGA 2000.
G502 for Tiger Woods games.

This set up will allow both games to be challenging and fun.

One other little piece of info, only issue I have come across on Win XP running PGA 2000 was white screen flashing after a shot on some courses. Selecting Win 2000 compatibility and Disable Visual Themes resolves it.
These settings are already recommended for XP by PGA users. It was recommended for a replay or reverse view reason I think but certainly cured my issue as well. For Win XP, appears those settings are pretty much a must and the game runs brilliantly.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

A lot of people stayed with PGA 2000 when Headgate moved over to develop the TW series because they felt like the swing was dumbed down and too easy and the influence of EA wanting a game for the masses was blamed. It's interesting to bring up this mouse issue and I wonder if that was the real reason for them making the swing easier. It didn't seem like we really know about it at the time. I had TW 02 which was the first Headgate version and I tried it again with TW 05. I played both for a few months but I couldn't tell you exactly why the switch didn't stick for me. I know I didn't think the mouse swing was as good and it may have also had to do with the great community we had in PGA 2000 where you knew a lot of the regulars vs. the masses of unknown people who played the TW games.