PGA 2000 on a VM?

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

Re: PGA 2000 on a VM?

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Viper ! I totally agree with your tru swing thoughts. I always played tru swing and my game deteriorated after about 2012 and could never find that magic that I occasionally had in the mid to late 2000's. Tried different mouse with no luck and came to the same conclusion you discovered.
Steve,
I'm going through the course library and notice how many courses you have created for this game. Wanted to say thanks, I greatly look forward to playing them. :up:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper
Thanks for your comments about my courses. Of course the first 2 or 3 I uploaded were not nearly as good in quality as the later ones. Hope you enjoy plying them. Two real courses are Muirfield Village 2011 version and Medinah C.C. #2. As far as my own creations I recommend Point Reyes National (It was a contest entry course) also Horseshoe Hills and The Platinum course at Stoney Hills C.C. . Also you may enjoy Both Pine Haven East and West, Mohican Valley, and Champions Crs. at Cumberland. If you like a desert course try Coronas the Gold Crs. 2010 or a Tropical Course Kauais Kekaha G.C. I consider all these courses fair but far from easy. GOOD LUCK and have fun.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Viper
Thanks for your comments about my courses. Of course the first 2 or 3 I uploaded were not nearly as good in quality as the later ones. Hope you enjoy plying them. Two real courses are Muirfield Village 2011 version and Medinah C.C. #2. As far as my own creations I recommend Point Reyes National (It was a contest entry course) also Horseshoe Hills and The Platinum course at Stoney Hills C.C. . Also you may enjoy Both Pine Haven East and West, Mohican Valley, and Champions Crs. at Cumberland. If you like a desert course try Coronas the Gold Crs. 2010 or a Tropical Course Kauais Kekaha G.C. I consider all these courses fair but far from easy. GOOD LUCK and have fun.
Thanks Steve, I'll eventually get to them all. I downloaded 398 courses a few years ago and swept the library again for anything I might've missed. Picked up another 72. That makes 470 courses along with the original PGA 2000 and titanium courses so should easily keep me busy for the next couple of decades. lol

I'm still getting over truswing. Soon as I started hitting shots with the Logitech mouse I could see I was on to a good thing.
Rest of the world can play and complain about the new sims. I'll happily keep playing and enjoying the old time great golf games. It's not just golf games that are like this, it's most modern games these days. I've stocked up on Windows XP hardware, 19 inch 1280x1024 monitors, picked up all the good old games I didn't have off eBay, I'm all set!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper
I posted this course list a few years ago. Thought it might interest you.
MY CURRENT TOP COURSE’S LIST
(only course’s played in tournaments in past 6 seasons rated)
#1 Travertine Island (10.0)
#2 Glen Haven (9.9 A+)
#3 Coastal Links at Edisto Island (9.9 A+)
#4 Arcaida Bluffs (9.9 A+)
#5 North American Woods (9.9 A+)
#6 Mill Creek G.C. (9.85 A+)
#7 Horseshoe Hills (9.85 A+)
#8 Stone Pony (9.85 A+)
#9 Point Reyes National (9.8 A)
#10 Blackwolf Run River Crs. (9.8 A)
#11 Coo’s Bay (9.8 A)
#12 Stormbay (9.8 A)
#13 European Links (9.8 A)
#14 The Lakes Course at Pine Ridge (9.80 A)
#15 Grande Palms Golf & Resort (9.8 A)
#16 The Trenche at Monticello (9.8 A)
#17 Dogwood Trail C.E.(9.75 A)
#18 TPC White Sands (9.75 A)
#19 Ocala National (9.75 A)
#20 Iron Horse (9.75 A)
#21 Elysium Fields (9.75 A)
#22 Atchafalaya Basin (9.75 A)
#23 International Links (White) (9.75 A)
#24 Baltusrol (9.75 A)
#25 The Platinum Course at Stony Hills C.C.(9.75 A)
#26 Kapalua Plantation Crs. (9.75 A)
#27 Gut Kaden (9.75 A)
#28 Gleneagle (9.75 A)
#29 Lake Lavon (9.75 A)
#30 Sammamish Plateau (9.75 A)
24 Other courses I fill are must play and outstanding. All with (9.7 A) rating
Albatross G.R. / Augusta National 2005 / Bulls Eye C.C. / Cades Cove / Carolina Cottonmouth /
Castle Stuart / Erins Glade / Jezebel / Jonesborough Oaks / Lighthouse Bay / Mamacs Retreat /
Oakland Hills / Ocean Side / Schuberts Bay / Shammrock Shores / Sierra C.C. /
The Communities Course / The Country Club at Terra Cotta Plantation / The Diggins /
The Monument / The Valley Course at Horseshoe Bend / Tomahawk Run /
Tullamore Forest / Whitestone Park
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Wow Steve,
Quite an honor to have 3 of my courses make your list.
Praise indeed from a master architect.

Thanks
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Thanks Steve! Your list helps greatly!
I used Dars A-B lists to pick many of the downloads. I used the screenshots in the download section to help with others. Thanks for maintaining this as well Brian, it really helps.
I will check your list Steve to make sure I have every one of those courses and it'll be what I will use to determine which courses I play first.

Polslad.
I also looked through to try and determine who the best designers were for this game and from what I can see, you are certainly one of them. I downloaded all your courses as I did Steve's.

It seriously is going to be like an entire new golf sim for me. Totally looking forward to playing it. If any of you guys ever pick up Links for a bit of a play and need any help, just let me know. :up:

My job also allows me a great deal of time on the phone to surf the net so I've started reading through all the old threads on this forum. It is helping to select high quality courses and learn things about the game.

I'm interested in any courses Brian has released but have no idea what name they are under?
There were courses released for a designing competition I read and courses in a collector's edition of the game. I have no idea what any of those courses are. Is there any info anywhere?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Just went through your list Steve. I was missing 7 of the courses you listed. They were all pre 2006 courses. On the second sweep of the library I only looked at 2006 and newer so it's no surprise I missed those ones. Thanks for pointing them out. I knew I would likely have missed some good early courses.
Shammrock Shores I don't have and cannot find in the library. :shrug:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper
Shamrock Shores Golf Links by Steve Day is listed. I missed spelled it. Other ? Brian Zager in the courses list is the name
Polslad !
David, me a master architect thanks for the compliment but the true master was the late great Robert D. Wagers (REST IN PEACE). Also I still can't wrap my mind around how Robert@ put out SO MANY quality courses.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

SteveHorn wrote:Viper
Shamrock Shores Golf Links by Steve Day is listed. I missed spelled it. Other ? Brian Zager in the courses list is the name
Ok, thanks, got everything now! :up:
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Viper wrote:I used the screenshots in the download section to help with others. Thanks for maintaining this as well Brian, it really helps.
All credit to Dar for taking the screenshots and maintaining the spreadsheet. I just converted it all to webpages.
Viper wrote:I'm interested in any courses Brian has released but have no idea what name they are under?
My courses are:

Crystal Lake CC
Homestead CC
Wisconsin River GC
Tri-City GC v1 and v2 (not to be confused with DanO’s Tri-City CC)
Bull’s Eye CC
The Ridges GC
Pagoda CC
Peninsula State Park GC

You can probably skip Homestead and version 1 of Tri-City. They were early and don’t live up to quality standards anymore, I mean I was still a teenager when I made these. :laugh: Crystal Lake is early too but it’s notable as my only complete fictional course and I don’t think it’s too bad although I’d certainly do things different today. I think it’s a little overly penal with too much water in play. Everything else is real courses and I think they are lower in some rankings because they maybe play too easy for the expert players. My big step forward as far as I'm concerned was with Wisconsin River and there’s steady progression upward from there after that.
Viper wrote:There were courses released for a designing competition I read and courses in a collector's edition of the game. I have no idea what any of those courses are. Is there any info anywhere?
We had four hole by hole contest courses where people submitted hole designs and the community voted on which one would get in the course. All of those are excellent. They are:

The Designers Challenge @ CC Park
Fabita Bay @ 9 Mile Drive
Mai Nui 'ekahi
Mill Creek

Actually I think Mill Creek was everybody just picked a hole and did it. There wasn’t enough participation left for voting at that time.

There have been many complete course contests where the designer designs a complete course on a provided plot and they are voted on. Most of them were prior to 2006 and I don't really remember them but they did produce some good courses. I do remember the most recent in 2011 and all are excellent courses. They are:

Alkimos Golf Links
Glen Haven
Gunpowder Bay
Mamacs Retreat Golf Club
Point Reyes National

The Titanium Edition and Collectors Edition courses were expansions sold by Sierra/Headgate in which community members were paid to design for them. Eventually we were allowed to post them on the internet after the point where they stopped selling them. These are early ones that are probably all worth getting but for sure get the Brian Silvernail designs as he is one of the best course designers of all time whose designed for many different games.