PGA 2000 on a VM?

Help with questions or problems.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: PGA 2000 on a VM?

Post by DC#1 »

Hi, this is DC#1. I have the virtualbox installed. I can't get them to share the file folder. I was wondering if you had time to help me? Thanks
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

DC#1 wrote:Hi, this is DC#1. I have the virtualbox installed. I can't get them to share the file folder. I was wondering if you had time to help me? Thanks
Sharing folders can be a little confusing until you've done it once or twice but then it's really quite simple. This is how you do it:

1. Open VirtualBox
2. Click the Settings button
3. Click Shared Folders
4.Top right there is a little icon to add a new folder, click it
5. In the folder path area, click it and navigate to the folder you want to share from Win 10 with your Win XP virtual machine
6. Check the Auto-mount checkbox
7. Start your Virtual machine (Win XP)
8. Go to the Win XP start menu and click on My Computer
9. In the next window you should now see you have Network Drives
This is the folder you selected to share from Win 10. Click on Network Drives and you should see all the files that are in your folder.
You can now copy these files (from your Win 10) and paste them into a location in your Win XP installation.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Ok now I see the network drive in virtual box. How or what programs do you put into shared folder on win 10 host. I was able to create a document in each OS and it was bi-directional to the shared folder. I put my Sierra folder in put PGA wouldn't open. It says it could not find file. It still works on win 10.
Last edited by DC#1 on February 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Whatever files you need from your Win 10 to use in your Win XP.
For example, to get all your user courses into PGA 2000, you would copy them from your Win 10 to a folder in your XP.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

DC#1 wrote:Ok now I see the network drive in virtual box. How or what programs do you put into shared folder on win 10 host. I was able to create a document in each OS and it was bi-directional to the shared folder. I put my Sierra folder in put PGA wouldn't open.
Just noticed you edited your post. You will have to install PGA 2000 into Win XP virtual machine just like you would on a normal Win XP. Copying your installation folder from Win 10 into Win XP won't work. Needs a proper installation. Hope this is what you were asking?
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

wouldn't you just put those into the shared folder on win 10
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

What would be the path from the DVD drive to get it into xp
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Sorry for all the questions
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Ok, got it. I used virtual discs to install the game. If you are not familiar with this best to just use a normal physical CD drive method.
I've never used normal physical CD drives in VirtualBox so can't give specific instructions. Here is a link below. Just google for this sort of thing and you will hopefully work it out.
This will then allow you to install things from CD's and any files you need (courses etc), you just use the shared folder thingy.
VirtualBox also allows USB's to be used but I haven't had a need yet for anything USB. I just use the shared folders, that method works fine for me.

https://geek-university.com/oracle-virt ... rom-drive/
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for all the help Viper. I had to add the DVD drive to virtual box and check the pass through box. Then I could install PGA. I see what you mean about 4 clicks instead of 3. Weird.