PGA 2000 on a VM?

Help with questions or problems.
Viper
Tour Contender

PGA 2000 on a VM?

Post by Viper »

I have installed PGA 2000 on Virtualbox running XP as the animations don't work on Win 10 any longer.

Couple of things I would like to ask of anyone who uses this method to see if there are any workarounds.

1. I'm clicking. When I adjust the aiming arrow, there is quite a delay between mouse movement and the arrow keeping up on screen.
2. When I start the swing, first click starts it, second click does nothing, 3rd click sets power, a 4th click for snap.

Are there any secrets for getting a little better performance for the aiming arrow or secrets for getting a normal 3 click swing meter?

Game is totally playable and runs very well from what I have found apart for the two things mentioned. My graphic settings are all maxed.
The 4 click is kinda fun to be honest. A little different to all the other golf games now! lol
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: PGA 2000 on a VM?

Post by Polslad »

PGA doesn't run on Windows 10?
I was gonna do a full install this weekend.
JNPG just doesn't cut it for me.
I miss the pff line tour competition and season mode.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Polslad wrote:PGA doesn't run on Windows 10?
I was gonna do a full install this weekend.
JNPG just doesn't cut it for me.
I miss the pff line tour competition and season mode.
It runs but animations are messed up. See the thread below and look at the attachment the OP provides in his first post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1137

Another thread here which sounds like the same problem. A Win 10 update somewhere has screwed up PGA 2000.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1125

The VM works fine except for the lag on the aiming arrow which you can work with and the extra click on 3 click. Haven't tried the mouse swing yet.
I also installed PGA 99 in the VM and works great as well with the same little issues as 2000.

If anyone has any user courses uploaded anywhere for 99, if you could post a download link would be greatly appreciated.

No, not a JNPG fan either. The modern games just aren't up to scratch. PGA, LInks and GBC forever for me and luckily they can all still be run. :up:
PGA now appears it will need a VM under Win 10 for everyone. Links 2003 and GBC work great without the need of a VM. I also loved Links 2000, found no way to run it under Win 10 unfortunately.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Had more of a play with PGA 2000 in the VM.

As a clicker, the game is totally playable for me. It's simply a double click to start the swing, click for power, click for snap.
Aiming arrow is quite easy to control once you get used to it.
Mouse swing, it's not so great. I'm not going to try and get better results as I don't use it.

If anyone else is using PGA 2000 in Win 10 running it whichever way, please post the results you are getting.
Westerner
Weekend Duffer

Post by Westerner »

I loved PGA since getting the Collector's Edition.

I'm a TruSwinger always have been in PGA.

Now with the wavy psychedelic golfer and wavy graphics, my putting is thrown off.
I can't putt well any more. Used to love this game for how well I could putt.

I think it's time to move on to the Headgate version of the PGA Tour series 2002-2004 and also 08.

I also like JN6-GBC, the only legitimate JN game out there.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Westerner wrote:I think it's time to move on to the Headgate version of the PGA Tour series 2002-2004 and also 08.

I also like JN6-GBC, the only legitimate JN game out there.
The TW games throw up a memory error and can be an issue to run. Results vary depending on user and system.
I was playing TW2003 on Win 7 using the mouse swing. While I could get the game running on Win 10, the swing has broken in 2003.
I have other versions as well that I haven't tried yet but results so far aren't promising.

Yes, the only legitimate JN game, GBC, works perfectly on Win 10. GBC and Links 2003 appear to be the only perfectly working golf games left from what was the greatest era in PC golf. A real shame.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Hi Viper ,I would be interested to know what you did to make your VM. I just bought a SSD and will partition Win 10 and then XP to install PGA. Did you install from the original disks? I also have Links and it works fine on Win 10.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Hi DC#1,

Yep, Links 2003 works. The only issue is with people who have integrated graphics but a workaround pretty much solves this too on most occasions. The new hardware works with it really well to be honest. New graphics cards are allowing the use of some form of anti aliasing for the first time in years.

PGA 2000, I ran it on every operating system without issue until I went to Win 10.
I'm using VirtualBox for a VM running Win XP with service pack 3. PGA install was from the discs with the official patch applied after install. Except for what I mentioned, the game appears to work great. I have only done some quick testing and not spent hours playing it but I haven't come across anything to indicate their may be problems.

If you need any help with anything just let me know.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks Viper. I already have Links installed and run it with GTX 750, so no problems there. After that win 10 update in Aug. the PGA golfer,flag and ball turned pyschedelic. I bought an SSD and wanted to partition it with XP to run PGA and Win 10 for all the rest.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Let me know how you go with your dual boot setup DC#1.
Just be aware if you have modern hardware, XP may not be compatible and then the only option is a VM.