Sand Valley

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Sand Valley

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'm dabbling in the PGA 2000 architect again. All I've done so far is import elevation data and draw shapes on six holes. Part of the reason I decided to start this here is the data for this course is before it was built so the fact we can't import at a high resolution in PGA 2000 isn't hurting the possible realism of doing this course at this point. Don't know if it will end up a finished course or not. I won't get crazy with detail visually if I do. I'm more interested in creating something that replicates the fun of playing this course in real life. I'll post progress updates if there's interest.

Below image is a view from the 10th tee. A real picture of the hole can be seen on this page: https://sandvalley.com/plan-your-trip
Attachments
sand_valley_10.jpg
(464.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Sand Valley

Post by SteveHorn »

Brian
Looks like a big challenge. Didn't think I'd see you designing in PGA again Good luck have fun
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah it'd be a big challenge to give this the attention to detail of my other courses. That's why I say all of those qualifiers. Trying not to let my usual perfectionism get in the way of doing something. I think I can create something that would be fun to play. That's the more fun part of designing for me. I don't want to put in the more tedious work of high end visuals. That may or may not be worth releasing as a course. I'm not sure yet. I didn't think I'd be doing anything for PGA 2000 again either. It could be competing with time doing a course in another game yet. I'm itching to work with Sand Valley though and the data isn't going to be any better for those other games right now since it's from before the courses were built so I figure I might as well do it here now. I still like the PGA 2000 architect the best for working with outside of it not having the ability to import high resolution LiDAR or have a blueprint tool for drawing shapes and placing trees.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I echo what Steve said. I never thought I'd see you doing another course. Good to see. Keep us posted with some screenshots. There are a few of us still left.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

And, you know of course we are drooling at the prospect.
Keep updating Brian, who knows what inspiration you may alight.
May the only balls you slice be your own
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

No real update, just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I think I've got about 12 holes drawn out so far. It's probably going to compete for time with a project I'm going to start for JNPG as well. Not sure how I'm going to divide the time up yet.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Looking forward to it here as well!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Brian, how is Sand Valley coming along?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I finished drawing the shapes. That's about it. I haven't touched it in months. Not sure when I'll get back to it again. It's not high on my priority list but hopefully at some point I'll get back to it.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for the update Brian.