Corrupt golfer graphics and flag

Help with questions or problems.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Corrupt golfer graphics and flag

Post by BrianZ111 »

Actually now that I think about it I think you just can't play the course if you have the libraries cloaked and it doesn't cause any other issues. All you have to do is uncloak the libraries then to play it. I think the the placeholder issues comes up when you try to load an architect file with libraries cloaked that are used by that architect file or possibly when you try to load it with too many libraries uncloaked (the limit is about 70 libraries). Then a reinstall of the libraries that architect file used that it couldn't find is required due to it creating alternate "placeholder libraries" in place of them. In any case it's good practice to cloak what you don't think you need before opening the architect and uncloak afterward. It's a bit of a pain unfortunately.

Alternatively you can run the architect as a different Windows user. The set of installed courses and libraries for each user is separate. In Windows 7 and 8 it is real easy to run the game as your normal user and the architect as an administrator. Then run the course manager as either depending on which installation you want to maintain. Not sure if you can do that easily in XP though as that was before UAC allowed you to run anything as administrator while logged in as a normal user.

By the way, after resolving the resolution issue the game runs great on my Windows 7 machine and is even working good with my modern mouse (Razer Mamba Wireless). Now that you have an XP machine setup, I wouldn't necessarily change but I don't think there's a need to go all the way back to XP unless you want to play online though Kali and I don't know if anyone even plays online anymore. After a short warmup session on the range to get the player to adapt to the mouse speed and my rhythm, I haven't had anything that felt like a missed swing due to the mouse in three rounds. This game does have tempo built in but it adapts to your own natural tempo. That is where JNPG and The Golf Club really went wrong as they try to force you into their specific required tempo which doesn't feel natural to me and in real golf there are many different tempos to swings used by successful players. My scores are not so great in those three rounds but that is to be expected. :laugh:
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:By the way, after resolving the resolution issue the game runs great on my Windows 7 machine and is even working good with my modern mouse (Razer Mamba Wireless). Now that you have an XP machine setup, I wouldn't necessarily change but I don't think there's a need to go all the way back to XP unless you want to play online though Kali and I don't know if anyone even plays online anymore. After a short warmup session on the range to get the player to adapt to the mouse speed and my rhythm, I haven't had anything that felt like a missed swing due to the mouse in three rounds. This game does have tempo built in but it adapts to your own natural tempo. That is where JNPG and The Golf Club really went wrong as they try to force you into their specific required tempo which doesn't feel natural to me and in real golf there are many different tempos to swings used by successful players. My scores are not so great in those three rounds but that is to be expected. :laugh:
Thanks for all the info on the architect. I'll note it all. I have no need for it right now. I don't intend to design anything, just wanted to see what it looked like. I work long hours so things like designing will be for retirement which is a while away yet.

On the above, yeah, I had it installed on Win 7 and it worked without issue. I just built a Win XP system for many games I play. Win 7 is excellent but for the old stuff I have, Win XP is the better choice. I'm not looking to play PGA online, XP is simply the better choice for the things I just mentioned and why I use it.

You sound so much like myself regarding swing preferences. I also read somewhere you don't use a straight edge and play by feel. I'm the same and cannot understand how people can use a straight edge or charts. It's never made sense to me.

Nothing wrong with sticking with PGA 2000 and dumping Perfect Golf. Why have inferior when you can have superior. Old time games totally rock. Rest of the world wants to go play the inferior stuff, good on them, cya later! I'm a totally happy and content dinosaur! lol
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Makes sense to run XP then, I figured it was something like that. Just wanted to note for anyone else who comes along that they don't have to go all the way back to XP.

Yeah a straight edge or a chart always defeated the purpose for me. I was playing for the best simulation of golf you could get on a computer and others were playing for other reasons I guess. I didn't mind playing with those people but it was less fun because I couldn't compete with the scores they would shoot.

I have a group of friends who play Perfect Golf so I play 2 rounds of that on Friday nights now. Otherwise I don't play computer golf games much at all at the moment because as I mentioned, I like to play with others online and there's nobody playing the golf games I really want to play online anymore.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:I have a group of friends who play Perfect Golf so I play 2 rounds of that on Friday nights now. Otherwise I don't play computer golf games much at all at the moment because as I mentioned, I like to play with others online and there's nobody playing the golf games I really want to play online anymore.
I don't want to kill my PGA 2000 diary thread too much by mentioning things in these tech threads because in these threads people may never likely read anything.
In saying this, I'm finding PGA 2000 brilliant. For myself, it's got massive potential and I'm looking to play it more to really get to grips with it. I can see it being a game I will never stop playing.
I intend to add things to the diary thread. I intend to list reasons why this game is so good that may possibly motivate others to give it a try, heck, it's available free to anyone!
Might be some places it'll be worth dropping people a link or two and getting them interested. I really believe the timing of the developers leaving PGA 2000 and these findings with computer mice could've played a big part in how many people stayed or left the game. You play it with the right mouse, give it a chance, this is one great golf game even today.

Let's not write it off just yet. May be possible to still draw some people in.

And this site, it's complete, has all the courses, it's logically laid out, this is another great element for the game that is already sitting here just waiting for people to use it.

Hopefully at some point a few will discover or re-discover PGA 2000. I think the biggest issue is that it won't run on Win 10 and that's something that may not be possible to overcome.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

The group of friends I play with on Friday nights, we tried to play PGA 2000 online a few years ago. They all have Windows 10 and at the time that wasn't a problem for playing the game but it was a problem for playing online. There is a different program other than Kali for playing over IPX that does work on the newer operating systems, I forget the name of it now, but we did get a twosome going that way. However we really wanted to play a foursome with alternate shot or best ball matches and that failed to work properly so we gave up on it. I can't expect them to run XP, even I don't run XP anymore.

We got one new person at least (you :) ). Hope you can get more interested.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote:The group of friends I play with on Friday nights, we tried to play PGA 2000 online a few years ago. They all have Windows 10 and at the time that wasn't a problem for playing the game but it was a problem for playing online. There is a different program other than Kali for playing over IPX that does work on the newer operating systems, I forget the name of it now, but we did get a twosome going that way. However we really wanted to play a foursome with alternate shot or best ball matches and that failed to work properly so we gave up on it. I can't expect them to run XP, even I don't run XP anymore.

We got one new person at least (you :) ). Hope you can get more interested.
Yeah, that's the biggest issue, online and Win 10.
I play offline and seasons so for me PGA is great. Links LS 2000 doesn't work on Win 10 and that's the main reason I decided I need to set up old hardware and futurepoof. I didn't want to ever lose it. Now I have the added bonus that it looks like there will be another game I really don't want to lose. I'm also getting into the Madden games. I started with Madden 2004, runs quite well on Win 10 but sometimes replays save and work and sometimes the replays you save don't work and just crash the game if you try and load that particular replay. Panning the camera to look at a stadium also works at hyper speed so hard to control. No such issues on Win XP.

It's good to have XP. There are a host of other games that have issues on Win 10 and some also have issues on Win 7. I can run them all again.

Playing online would never be an option for me anyhow because of the hours I work. I need to fit in a quick game when I can.

Links players all use Gameranger I think for online.

I also think it's possible to get a few people here playing the game. There is unrest atm with many people with lack of golf games/choice. I intend to add some stuff to the diary thread and then drop some links to it and the game. The issues with PGA not working online and on Win 10 are considerable problems. Then you also have people who play but never get involved in any online communities.
Hey, I'm all for giving things a try though and see what happens...
davidmclean
Range Rookie

Post by davidmclean »

I have the same problem on Windows 10.

Anyone got a fix we can all use to get this working properly?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

davidmclean wrote:I have the same problem on Windows 10.

Anyone got a fix we can all use to get this working properly?
I don't think there will be. Best option is to use an old PC. If not, a Virtual Machine with Win XP makes the game totally playable but only with 3 click not Trueswing. From what Brian mentioned elsewhere, A VM may also allow for online play.
Diguelo
Chronic Slicer

Post by Diguelo »

Corrupt Golfer and Flag.
=====================

This used to occur on some Windows 7 and 10, Vista (shudders) ( ok i miss Windows ME) machines back in the day. An investigation showed a couple of issues that caused it.

A common issue with older games is that people allow the Graphics updates coming from Microsoft Update website to be the be all and end all of the solution. The only way to update Nvidia Graphic Driver packages is to go to your Device Manger. Right click on your START button and select Device Manger or press M. Once its open, go to Display adaptors, in there will be the name of your Graphics package, Nvidia, ATI, Intel etc. Make a note of the name as youll be needing it for the next bit.
Heres a list of sites to get the real drivers from.
www.nvidia.com
www.Asus.com (** They bought out ATI years back **)
www.Intel.com (Sadly this sites navigation is a pain, be pursistent and DONT EVER use secondary download sites for these drivers)

In each sites index is a product support heading, look for Driver downloads. Select the correct package for your computer and download it to somewhere you know where it is.
Once you have done that and have the right package, Shut down all programs that you have running before continuing. Going offline as well helps. Give your router a well earned restart, they like that occasionally, clears the cobwebs.
NVIDIA have a function in their driver package to do what is called a "Clean Install" this involves uninstalling and deleting old drivers before it updates the package with a full new set, this is in the Custom install and is a tick box under the list of items to install. USE IT !!
All other graphics cards say they do this automatically, some do some dont, best way is to go into the Device manger, Display adapter and right click on your adapter. Select Uninstall. Once done your screen may collapse down to a small size by default, dont panic, just run the driver package you downloaded, once installed restart your PC.

This normally fixes the issues with any and all graphics corruptions, floating fairways, funky golfers and flags.

Now heres something that I used to recommend is done at least twice a year, BUT. If you have a Sold State Hard Drive or your not 100% sure then dont do this next bit. Clean out the junk on your computer, empty recycle bin, then once its all done, DEFRAG it. Defrag the whole drive, not just the files. Yes I know it takes ages, and you need your computer, but it is worth it.

Anyhow, that should have sorted out your issues of corruption. Older equipment, just install your newest available set of video drivers from the manufacturer. Generally 3 years is obsolete for video cards, so just put the newest ones you have in.

Take care all and stay safe.

Dig
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Dig,

I don't think lack of understanding how to install drivers has anything to do with the issue on Win 10. I'm quite confident it's a DirectX problem which "may" be possible to fix but not without either blind luck or a heck of a lot of work. I'm not looking at spending masses of time on it as I simply use Win XP to run PGA 2000.

Are you running an up to date Win 10 without this issue? If anyone is, then I may be wrong but I have not found anyone yet who doesn't have the problem on Win 10.