Season Play Results

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Season Play Results

Post by A Brandt »

Well, after a short hiatus I have continued my season play, finishing 3 tournaments today. I left off after the shooting -2 in first round at the Mayakoba, playing Cabo del Diablo. I was -5 in the second round going in to 17 and bogeyed the final two holes to end up at -5 for the tournament. It's my third cut made this season! I scratched out two decent rounds to finish T60 at -7. Michael Sim won by 4 at -23.

Next up was the Honda Classic. The greens at PGA National were sooooooo slooooow! I couldn't get any putt to the hole. I basically gave up after shooting +10 the first round. ROund 2 was no better and I ended up at +16. Retief Goosen was the winner at -18.

I squeezed in a third tournament, the WGC Cadillac Championship. I ate up Doral shooting -22 overall and winning my first tournament!! The greens here are very easy, I rarely had a breaking putt. The course looks much tougher on TV, and I'm sure it plays longer, but I couldn't do anything wrong. I missed a few fairways, but my scrambling was great. My best round was day 1 with a 63 and I managed to keep the next 3 rounds under 70. I fired a cool 29 on the back 9 of my final round to secure the win! I picked up just over $2M, launching me to second on the money list!!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Well another week and another chance blown! I ended up playing the Shell Houston Open at Alice Boge's Garden on tough conditions, and I guess it takes tourney conditions to realize just how tough those greens are. I think about 2/3 of the time I was facing either a 6" uphill or 6" downhill putt, and on dry/VD they were wicked. I really blew it in the 4th round on #3, a hole with a small pond just left of the fairway. I was trying a cut-draw with a 15 mile rear-to-right wind, hung it out left splash into the water. Had to drop in weeds, took too much club and sent it about 30 yards behind the green. The pin was in the rear with a drop of about 2' from the top of hill behind the pin, and flopped it short in the rough. The next was too hard and I had a 25 footer coming back up the hill, which I missed, taking an 8. I seem to do something like that every darn week! I did come back pretty good though and ended up -15 for the week and T13. The winner shot -19! Jason Bohn picked up his second win of the season (the 3rd player to do this in 14 events including the WGC matchplay event, so I'm now #3 on the money list again. The rest of my top 10:
T2 David Toms, Bubba Watson, Geoff Ogilvey -18
T5 Marc Leishman, Heath Slocum, Charlie Wi, Bo Van Pelt -17
T9 Boo Weekley, Vaughn Taylor, Joe Durant, K. J. Choi -16

Congrats to Phil for winning the real event and good luck this week at the Masters. Speaking of which, I'm trying something a little different this week. I'm only going with the top 83 plus previous real winners (which means that Tiger is in it despite a lackluster year on my tour.) These are all the players with at least one T10 finish. I'm thinking of devising a mini-event for my other 40 golfers so they'll be making something this week. The Masters cut will be 50 plus ties.

My top 10 money winners at the 1/3-finished mark of the season:
1. Paul Casey $3.95M
2. Jason Bohn $3.21M
3. Me $2.87M
4. Joe Durant $2.81M
5. Charles Howell III $2.49M
6. Retief Goosen $2.27M
7. Webb Simpson $2.09M
8. Ryuji Imada $2.06M
9. Bubba Watson $1.96M
10. Bryce Molder $1.95M
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on April 18th, 2011, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Wow, did I pick the right time to get hot! I've been struggling for the past week both in season play and with my friends in our afternoon match. Yesterday I started getting my shooting under control and today it fell right in place. Gary and I played an 18 game match at Alice Boge's Garden and I shot -6 then another at Wager's Whipporwill and shot -8. So on to the first round at Augusta. No bogies, 2 eagles (13 and 15 after a -2' near double eagle on 13), 6 birds for a -10 and a 2 shot lead over Robert Garrigus and K.J. Choi. Bad news is I should be paired with these guys tomorrow but I think I'm going to pick the two bottom guys so I don't "poison the water", so to speak. A/D/B today, A/D/G tomorrow.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

WOW ! Nice shootin Judy. I always use the random button for pairings in the first 2 rounds, ussually a threesome and by score for rounds 3 & 4. ussually just one player.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow V2 has concluded with yet another missed cut (Arrgghh). I shot 74 & 71. My undoing was my overall putting and Holes #17, & #18. I was 4 over on those 2 holes with a 3 putt from 8' in round 1 on #17 :mad: . The winner was Alexander Noren at -16. Only two players in the top 10 recieved points. Steve Stricker finished 2nd shooting -14 and moved to 5th in points for the season with 32. Also Matt Kuchar recieved 5 points with a 3rd place tie with Matteo Manassero at -13 each. Kuchar's 5 points increased his season lead in points to 57 giving him an 18 point lead over Jason Day at 39 points.
Next up The Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Not a bad but not a good second round. I made a couple of real mishits that cost me a bogey and then one of those tricky sidehill lies that I 3-putted for a double bogey, but still shot -4. However, Jonathon Byrd was the redhot one today shooting -10 to lead me by 1 stroke. Moist greens and gusty tomorrow. I had the cut set at 52 but with ties 62 (of 82) managed to make it through. I never use the "within ten" cut but had I, the same number would have made it with -5s. High score was David Toms +3; only 2 players were above par.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I started The Masters today, and finished the first day at -2. I felt very good after that round because I played terrible in the last tournament and "withdrew" in the middle of my second round! But my game was back on track for the season's first major and I shot -3 for the second round to put me at -5 for the tournament. I was very happy with this and looked forward to making a charge in the last two rounds.....BUT NO, the cut was -6!!! I am totally deflated :(
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Adam ! Are you kiding me. -6 was the cut. I hope you are using the within 10 shot rule in your settings. Also I only have maybe 5 to 10 players with averages below 70.0 based off PGA tour stats.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I don't ever change the cut settings, so I'm not sure what they're set at as a default. That could explain it, but I haven't had that happen before.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Adam, the "default" cut setting for the 2011 Season that I made is 72, which is about right for the 2011 Players file (122 players plus yourself.) I usually end up with ~75-80 players making the cut (with ties.) At Augusta I only used 83 players (84 with me) so I set default at 52 (ended up with 62 making the cut at -5.) If you had a small field that might explain why you missed the cut.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on April 11th, 2011, 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.