Contest Course Progress

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Contest Course Progress

Post by SteveHorn »

Wow Craigus! Yours does have a different look that I think is great. THATS ALOT OF 2d grass and brush for 1 hole. I don't think my computer could handle many holes like that if that were my design. Are you trying to hit the 100,000 2d count for your course.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Thanks Steve. I have used plenty of 2D objects, but I think I needed too, to get the right feel that I was after. I'll check later how many, but it is well over 100,000 for the course. I had to get a replacement computer as my last one died under warranty, so I decided to push it with the architect and see how it went with the objects. It has handled it well so far. My course has approx 410,000 points also, which I may have to go through all of my fairways & greens, to check optimizations and such.

I went for a different look to any of my other courses, which have plenty of trees on them. This does have some in the surrounding area, but not many on the course itself. I have based the course on a couple of courses that I have played and also a course in Sydney. I think I will have it finished for Monday or Tuesday next week, but still want to do a couple more run throughs before I can say it is done.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Only 410,00 points! That s not that many for most courses anymore. Maybe thats why you can handle that many objects. My course has 600,000 Points and about 40,000 objects. Thats the most points I've ever got my old computer to handle by far. Many courses with good computers go well over 1,000,000 points and I could only guess at how many objects.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

I just checked what it is on. 413,000 points, with approx 400,000 objects. My course is spread over quite a bit of the land, so this explains the number of objects. Not too many of the holes run side by side, they really follow each other out and back. The 15th hole is below.
Attachments
contest 15th.jpg
(451.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I just looked and I had 486,185 objects in Wisconsin River Golf Club. It was mostly grass objects. It really started to slow save times down. I don't think it was a problem otherwise but it was annoying because I save a lot and it was about 2-3 min. during every save towards the end. I learned from that, if you're going to put a ton of grass in wait until the very end to do it. I don't know maybe it wouldn't matter now with a faster computer.

Courses look great by the way. Really love what everyone has done with the plot, particularly all the variety of ideas. I'll wait to reveal the actual location...but since everyone has come up with their idea for the course by now I don't think I'll be spoiling anyone's creativity by posting this picture from the actual location.
Attachments
plot_real_image.jpg
(386.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I'm just going to take a guess, and assume it's on the Eastern coast of the U.S. in the New England area somewhere. Maine maybe???
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Definitely one of the Great Lakes. Either Superior or Michigan.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

DC! I think your right. Brian's a Wisconsin man and Lake Michigan is the highest probabilty With Superior a possibility. My original location for my course was an Island chain located off shore on Lake Superior. I can't remember if it was off Minnesota or Wisconsin but that changed after I did some more looking around for a good location that fit the plot.

Craig! It looks like any wayward drives on your course and you'll be S.O.L.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Interesting plot area Brian. I don't know the areas at all, but I think we have all come up with some great looking courses either way.

Steve, it will take a very badly hit shot to go in the bushes on my course. The fairways are wide and plenty of rough between. Though there are fairway bunkers to contend with but also no water comes into play on the course.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

DC#1 wrote:Definitely one of the Great Lakes. Either Superior or Michigan.
Yep, you're on the right track. Should I just reveal it now?