2011 PGA TOUR

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: 2011 PGA TOUR

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I never played FPS'98, the forerunner of PGA'99. I remember Mean 18, and IIRC it was one of the better earlier sims (pre-90s.) I also remember the fairways and water version; that was released in '87 I think.

We had another nice one, not sure but I think it was PGA Tour '90 or something like that. It came with 2 courses and then expanded by 2 more and that was the end of it. None of these had a designer. It had beautiful graphics and gameplay though and it's a shame it wasn't developed further because it was really a nice game.

We also had Greg Norman Golf which was released in the mid-90s. This was also a beautiful game, but had only one course, Greg's "own" course in Florida. It was the first that we played that had multiple tee and pin settings, weather effects, different types of balls, etc. It was quite advanced IMO but because of no designer and only one course, it got old fairly quickly. A shame.

Then there was Jack Nicklaus Golf and Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition, which might have been the first game to include a designer program. Links 286 then 386 came out about the same time, but our computer was too slow to handle Links' redraws. (Was Microsoft Golf the forerunner of Links?)

The early 00s had some great golf sims, including this one, JN4, 5 and GBC, Links2003. Then along came TW and that, as far as I know, was just about the end of the road for independent golf (and other sports' sims.) (is Custom Play Golf available anywhere but on line? I've never seen it in a store.)
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Not sure about Custom Play - Isn't it called Hank Haney's World of Golf and sold in some retail outlets that way??? Indy, you could probably get the DOS games to work on your present computer if you install DOS BOX. Google "Sourceforge" and then search for DOS-Box or DOS-fend reloaded to get the details of the program. It's a free download. That way you could still enjoy some of those courses. By the way - we really like Carolindi Forest - seems to be our kind of course :)

Anyways - what a blast from the past to be talking about all those old golf games - LOOKS LIKE HE HIT THE TREE JIM :laugh:
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Thanks sandwedge, I'll check into that dos box.

Glad you enjoy Carolindi Forest; it's dedicated to Carolanne Sooner who used to run the Fun Golf League and is a real sweetheart. It's modeled on the TPC @ Deere Run (it actually started out as that course but we ran out of talent lol) and is one of my favorites.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on January 4th, 2011, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I remember playing a Greg Norman game for NES back in the late 80's that allowed you to design holes. You could pick from a handful of pre-made shapes for fairways, greens, bunkers, and maybe water. I don't remember much else about it though.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Adam,
That was Greg Norman's Golf Power. I had that game at one time or another.