2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club USA

Catching a plane back to the USA just before the celebration of Christmas, we are in Tahoe, Nevada for Charlie Robert's Purgatory Creek. This is a SANE construction which plays like a normal golf course. Its a solid design which requires accuracy off the tees to get a good approach, and then putts are reasonable. This feels like a traditional way to play (and I mean this in a GOOD WAY).

I think this is a top course in the library of JN6 courses and Charlie designed this as a veteran. Colors, features, hole layout are all 10/10. Today we are treated to conditions that make playing enjoyable and there is a chance to score low, but without being too easy. I really enjoy this course and will certainly play it many more times.

One thing I will say, is that you will need to power off the tees whenever possible because some of the holes are really long, but if you lack accuracy, you will be in trouble a lot! Charlie has a little bit of mischief in his soul on his doglegs, especially the ones that are coming across a forced carry first. Be careful on these, because you really need to be in the middle of the fairway, else you will find yourself greeted by Mr Tree or one of his friends blocking access to the green! You do not want to be in the rough on this course. Much like courses by Steve Holden, this course will punish errant drives without mercy.

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
One Round Only: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _creek.zip <-- url fixed

:golf:
Tarheel's .round files: Image
Hole 3, view from the green. Par 3. This is a beautiful course that feels real!

Hole 9 approach shot

Hole 6 from the tee and this is exactly the kind of hole I warned you about. If you get across but overshoot the fairway, Mr Tree will be getting a good giggle.

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
purgatory_creek-hole3_fromgreen.jpg
(230.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
purgatory_creek-hole9_approach.jpg
(206.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
purgatory_creek-hole6_tee.jpg
(248.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
purgatory_creek-splash.jpg
(19.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. - Matthew 2:10

Seasons Greetings!!!!

As we head into Christmas Eve, I hope you all will enjoy playing this thematic course. I played it early, because I spent all day in the airport, waiting to fly to Marco Island only to have my flight cancelled. Therefore, I am worried about my rescheduled flight early tomorrow morning. I wanted to make sure I got my Christmas Eve golf round in and posted before the end of the day for fear I would not be able to get to it tomorrow. My family is already in Florida, having driven. I was on-call for my practice so had to come join them later. This round of golf was very relaxing and a nice way to finish my day.

I don't think I've ever visited this course before. Silent Night was made for JN5 by Jeremy Silva and Charles Whiddon in Dec 1998 and is par 72, 6978 yds. This is the second course this season with Whiddon’s fingerprints on it. Its totally a thematic course, with lots of Christmas trees, snowmen, presents, the Star of Bethlehem, Santa Clause and the Reindeer just to name a few custom features. The greens are Christmas reds instead. You will also hear many seasonal clips and lots of jingling of the bells.

This is not a tricky golf course at all and its not meant to be anything other than something to help you usher in the good news of Christ's birth with happy thoughts. Nothing is meant to distract from that. The greens are pretty much flat, so you will not get stressed out here and if you get on the green, you will score.

I've got one more Christmas Course for us on the big day itself, but will be playing it from warmer climates...

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Soft - 30% Fog - Pin 1

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _night.zip <-- url fixed

Tee off on hole 14. Red tees and red greens for the season and a brilliant night sky! Love the snow and the distant mountains.

Here is a par 3, with the red green and a happy little seasonal collection to the right

Christmas Trees, presents and the Star of Bethlehem!

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
silent_night-star.jpg
(283.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
silent_night-hole14-fromtee.jpg
(230.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
silent_night-hole12-par3-green.jpg
(204.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
silent_night-splash.jpg
(21.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Knew both Charles and Jeremy. Charles was known for themed courses such as this and Jeremy ran a site back in the days just for JNSE. I did a couple courses with Charles and talked with both on many occasions.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Merry Christmas!

I'm safe and sound with my family in south Florida enjoying unseasonably cold weather, but its still much better than being back home in the low teens. Waking up this morning, I joined the WorldSwing Tour playing close to the North Pole at a very special golf course, White Chirstmas 2000 originally designed by KF Baker in 1998, and revised for JN6 by Smileman in 2000.

At 6707 yds, this Christmas themed golf course is not terribly long but does offer a few challenges in the way of some approaches from side hill lies or trees placed strategically to force more shot planning. You will hear several familiar Christmas songs, guaranteed to make you smile. Handsome snowmen sit in attendance throughout as well. The white colors will make some of your putting more difficult to read, but I think thats an okay thing as it goes with the theme.

I really enjoyed the nod to our last course "Silent Night" with the same jingly bells ringing, I think early on the back 9.

This is a fun round of golf, and a great way to drive into the holiday.

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Mild - Soft - 30% Fog - Pin 4

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... s_2000.zip <-- url fixed

Hole #4 from the tee area

You will find some good customs here such as this cottage. I thought I might have heard a dog singing jingle bells!

Hole #12 from the tee. Nice looking snowdudes and hole # signs

Attachments
White_christmas_2000-splash.jpg
(15.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
White_christmas_2000-Hole4_teearea.jpg
(214.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
White_christmas_2000-Hole14_cottage.jpg
(246.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
White_christmas_2000-Hole12_tee.jpg
(268.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Australia

I got in late after a full 12 hour drive from south Florida home, so this round arrives to the sim site a day late. Got in about 2AM last night. Too bad I'm not enjoying 80deg temps now but thankfully the WST, on one day delay, has shipped me off on a rapid deployment to Australia where the weather is just as I like it.

Today, we are playing Carisbrook Range, courtesy of Aussierules (Warren Lamshed) from August of 2004. His catalog of JN courses I believe to be over 20 courses, and they are wonderful. This one is no exception, with fantastic views off the tees and great custom work. I particularly like the sand traps. This is an odd bird, playing at par 75! Its a long course at 7766 yds and in his words its 'an easy one for you this time' I'm not sure he is speaking to, because I didn't find it easy. There were very few holes where I didnt find my path to the pin obstructed by an annoying tree or a sidehill lie, so I suggest you think very carefully about ball placement and accuracy. On this pin at least, putts were difficult reads as well.

I think this was the first time I've played this course, and I really liked it a lot.

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Normal - Pin 4

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _Range.zip <-- fixed link

Look at this great bunker work

Approach shot on number 17

Remarkable views from the tees. This is par 3 number 15

Attachments
carisbrook_hole16-bunker.jpg
(252.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carisbrook_hole17-approach.jpg
(226.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carisbrook_hole15-par3-fromtee.jpg
(255.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
carisbrook_splash.jpg
(21.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 13th, 2023, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club France

Bienvenue! A rapid transit over to central western Europe puts us in a valley of the French Alps for a round at Clover Knoll designed by Matt Davey, Feb 4, 2001. At par 71, 6593 yds, its quite a bit shorter than our last course. Matt claimed this to be his 6th design for JN at the time but overall I could only identify 7 total designs so he may have moved on to other games shortly after this keeper. I find this one to be a very solid effort and worthy of high praise. Its a very classic golf course design with all the standards you would expect visually of a quality JN6 construction. From a play standpoint, I found it very straight forward with times to be careful and times to go fot it; I think I will gladly enjoy many more rounds here. It might be fun to come back here during much worse weather, because I suspect then it might cause a bit of stress. Putting had a fantastic balance of difficult and easy, but never a totally flat putt on my rounds. For an accurate shooter, this course will play like a dream. For the erratic player, ce golf sera un peu difficile pour vous! Overall, in these mild conditions, I predict very low scoring.

Next two courses will be some fun on Par 3's for the New Year weekend!

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Mild - Soft - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _Knoll.zip <-- fixed link

Tee shot on hole 7

View back to tee from the back of green on 15

Approach shot from the fairway to green over water on 12

Attachments
clover_knoll-hole12-fromapproach.jpg
(178.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
clover_knoll-hole15-fromgreen.jpg
(225.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
clover_knoll-hole7-tee.jpg
(217.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
clover_knoll-splash.jpg
(24.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 13th, 2023, 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Par 3 Challenge: Champagne Countdown

I hope everyone will stay safe tonight on New Year's Eve and that all your quota on partying will be met!

Today, the WorldSwing tour brings you the first part of the Par 3 Challenge event of the year! We are going to be playing at Sonora Par 3 Park brought to us by Dirk Ephlin and Galen Geier from June 2009. Remember the great work this pair did on The Woodlands Tournament Course from week 9. This one, set in the Sonora desert Arizona is a tough cookie. Most shots into the greens will be with long irons or woods and as you might expect, putting is not going to be easy once you find your way there. Sand is nearly always a threat, and I went ahead and applied the sunblock and wore swimming trunks to be ready. Nice variety on blind shots, direct shots, skill shots, etc. are required. The course looks outstanding with many customs, and while you struggle with your Par 3 game, you should enjoy the art.

Today we will be playing in a bit of a storm! Best of luck :)

Don't mistreat your golf balls! Treat them with dignity and respect and keep them on the short grass….Criminal behavior includes drowning it, plummeting it into a ravine, abandoning it in the woods to starve, burying it in sand, etc… :laugh: As an aside, Mr Google informed me that the average golfer goes through 100 golf balls per year and something like 300 million balls are lost per year in the world!

I think some of you have been exactly here once or twice!?

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Strong - Soft - Pin 1 - 50%Fog

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... 3_park.zip <-- url fixed

Hole 18, view from the green

Hole 17 from the tee

Attachments
lost_ball.jpg
(167.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sonora_par_3-hole18_fromgreen.jpg
(233.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sonora_par_3-hole17_tee.jpg
(201.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sonora_par_3-splash.jpg
(22.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Par 3 Challenge: New Year Day

Happy New Year!

I hope 2023 will turn out to be a great year for all of us and that we will all enjoy good health, successful professional growth, good travels, and happy homes!

We are kicking off 2023 with the second part of the WST Par 3 challenge. This time, we are playing Golf World Par 3 Challenge from the tireless Steve Holden. This season we enjoyed rounds at two of his golf courses (Keystone Knoll and Palm Harbor) and this one keeps up the tradition of excellent design and artistry. This is part of a 54 hole complex in Nevada created in 10/2010, with two 18 hole nearby regular length courses. Very tall buildings loom in the not so far distance, reminding you that you are close to the city. This is a very fair challenge. You will get to pull out a lot of different clubs and you will get a very different green to deal with each time. Calmer winds than yesterday should keep this one under control.

This is the last WorldSwing Tour event this season, and I hope you enjoyed travelling around the world getting views of some bonus courses outside of the PGA season.

Next week, back to the PGA and a swing to Hawaii and the west coast. You will find that it feels like the Terry Armstrong invitational for the first couple of months, since he designed a bunch of the tour courses we will be playing. We had a preview of his work with Quail Hollow and TPC Summerlin earlier this season.

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... d_par3.zip <-- fixed link

Hole 5 off the tee

Hole 15 from the green back to the tee

Hole 17, with a view to the green from near the water

Attachments
Golf_World_par_3-hole17_closetogreen.jpg
(203.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golf_World_par_3-hole15_fromgreen.jpg
(188.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golf_World_par_3-hole5_fromtee.jpg
(233.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Golf_World_par_3-splash.jpg
(22.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 14th, 2023, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brad, interesting note on this complex. All three Golf World courses were on the same plot which is why you see so many adjacent holes. I don't think it was ever done before or since. It was very difficult to squeeze all three courses into one plot but it was challenging and fun. The downside was that you still had to D/L each course separately which totally defeated the purpose. The things they could have done with this game if they would have simply made a few more upgrades.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TWELVE
Sentry Tournament of Champions

Welcome back PGA players! We are off to beautiful Hawaii for this week 12 event on the PGA Tour. This one is a "Four-day, no-cut, 72-hole stroke play competition comprised of Official PGA TOUR event winners from the 2022 calendar year and the top 30 players from the FedExCup standings who qualify for the TOUR Championship" according to the official website.

The previous winner was Cameron Smith at -34 under par in 2022. This is the 25th year to celebrate Maui as host for the PGA tour. The Plantation Course at Kapalua was created for JN6 by Terry Armstrong, a highly respected JN designer who you will see released many of our next two months of tour courses. This one is par 73, 7263 yds and is a true course representation. You will find undulating fairways and some tricky putts on uneven greens. Tee shots offer very power shot receptive landing areas, but the trick will always be sidehill aporoaches. I think its wonderfully done and I really like the Hawaiian music greeting you on the tees. This was created 4/3/03, and I've played here many times in the past glory days of JN6. Its always fun!

Weather is starting off with rain yesterday and some drops today, so expect day 1 to have soft greens and probably remain as such through the weekend. Winds might pick up if we have afternoon rounds over the next few days.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium, Pin 2, Soft
Round 2: Medium, Pin 3, Normal
Round 3: Mild, Pin 4, Normal
Round 4: Strong, Pin 1, Normal

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... tation.zip <-- url fixed
Tarheel's .round files:
R1 R2 R3 R4
View from the tee area from high on looking at the wonderful rolling terrain on hole 12, a short par 4, 374 yds with a partially blind tee shot to the right of this location to a hidden green down the hill to the left.

Attachments
Kapalua_plantation-hole12-par4-374.jpg
(228.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Kapalua_plantation-splash.jpg
(18.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 16th, 2023, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.