Oldie but Goodie: Hau'oli Lani GC

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Oldie but Goodie: Hau'oli Lani GC

Post by bryce »

Hau'oli Lani GC was released by PingKing on November 30, 2006. The course has a Hawaiian Tropical setting, and is a par 70. Bring your big sticks, because this baby is over 7,500 yards long. Here are the course notes:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Hau'oli Lani Golf Club!
Hau'oli Lani (which means "Happy Heaven" in Hawaiian) is truly a golfer's paradise.

Located on one of the smaller islands of the Hawaiian Island chain, the Hau'oli Lani Golf Club offers spectacular vistas and lush foliage throughout the entire 18 holes of championship golf. Measuring at just over 7500 yards, this par 72 golfing resort will challenge the playing ability and shot management of the very best golfers.

With subtle challenges on all the fairways and greens, scoring a sub-par round here at Hau'oli Lani is very possible, but only if the golfer stays in the playing areas, as exploring the rough and thick vegetation will make scoring par very difficult. A wayward shot, or hitting into the numerous ponds and waterways will ruin a good round.

Although there are no shortcuts or tips for playing this course, the best advice I can offer is to stay in the short grass and avoid the trouble areas. As with all my courses, I encourage those who download this gem to offer constructive critisism so I may make my future courses even better. I thank all of you for the opportunity to offer my design abilities to you.

Thank you very much for downloading Hau'oli Lani Golf Club, and I hope you also find it to be a Happy Heaven!

Alan "PINGKING" Wells
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan said in his notes that the course is a par 72, and I think he meant for it to be, but it plays as a par 70 in the game. The first hole is a 560 yard par 4. Right from the start you get to see how long the course plays. Not only is it long, but it has a tough layout. With narrow fairways and small, hilly, fast greens, you had better be on your game.....and don't play on very dry greens! Here is a view from the tee on #6. Notice how narrow the gap is between the trees. Not to mention that there are 3 cross bunkers in the middle of the fairway:
hau6.JPG
(223.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
One of PingKing's strongest abilities is planting and object placement. Look at how gorgeous the 2nd hole is from the tee:
hau2.JPG
(227.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hau'oli is a fairly flat course, but has some huge elevations in the non-playing areas with rock textures. Once again, check out the "eye candy" around the hole, as well as the great work with the rocks:
hau11.JPG
(177.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Overall, this is a very difficult course, but so much fun to play and even to just look around. You will find very small lines of rough in the fairways that are used to separate different types of fairway, but I rolled right over these lines with the 'long' rough setting. I did play 'very dry' greens, which is just what I like to do, and I do not recommend doing the same. I believe the Woodford green texture is what you will be putting on, and it is a little faster than average. The greens are very challenging and hilly, but well constructed, and putt very true. The bunkers are great, with a variety of shapes and sizes. The water and planting around it really gives an incredible look to the course. I shot +10 (+8 on the last 6 holes), but I really enjoy this course.

Alan "PingKing" Wells has 5 other courses to offer us:
Cades Path State Park GC
Cadens Point
Forest Highlands Canyon Course V2 REAL
Gordansville Golf Club
Woodridge Estates
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Oldie but Goodie: Hau'oli Lani GC

Post by bryce »

Forgot to mention that my favorite hole is the par 5 12th hole. It plays around 480 yards, and is the only chance on a par 5 that I had to go at in two. This view from the fairway gave me deja vu:
hau12.JPG
(223.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It reminds me of a real life course that I have played somewhere, but can't remember where. Either way, it's a beautiful view, and looks very real.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Oldie but Goodie: Hau'oli Lani GC

Post by SteveHorn »

What can I say except I've got another one to go download.