I have some questions [Newbie I guess]

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
valkyr
Range Rookie

I have some questions [Newbie I guess]

Post by valkyr »

Years ago, I played PGA Championship golf on a Cyrix 686 PC - I can't even remember the version but it was like year 1994 or something.

Anyway,I've been looking to get back into a good and fun PC golf game. I've steered away from the Tiger Woods series and actually bought Links 2003 and downloaded a bunch of courses and players and a full season schedule. However, I find that game not really appealing because it's actually really difficult! :) I know they call it a golf sim but if I wanted to get that frustrated, I'd go back to playing real golf ;)

So, here are my questions and what I'm looking for - does PGA 2000 have these features?

1. Career mode with amateur school/qualifying - where you have to earn your pga card? I would like that if so. Links has it and I think TW may have it.

2. If it does NOT, what does it have? Seasons or something? Do they autogenerate or do you have to create them?

I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to have create a golfer and be able to play as a career with earnings and trophies but with the ability to update the players [current] and ability to add courses which I know I can do with PGA 2000.

Other questions:
1. What is the Library Cloaking tool and will I need it to install courses?
2. What is the filedate changer and will I need it?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: I have some questions [Newbie I guess]

Post by bryce »

Hi Valkyr, I hope I can help.

There is not a career mode with earning an actual PGA Tour card. You can generate your own season, with dates, purses, multiple cuts if you wish, tournament titles, and even which courses with any settings you want.

The cloaking tool is more for designing with the course architect. You could download it and have it in case you get any library issues with play, but it's not necessary. The file date changer is not needed to play the game.

Hope this helped,
Doron
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Unfortunately the incredibly talented engineering group that created PGA Golf left soon after to join the EA/TW group, so we never got the updated technology that went into the TW game.

If you're wanting to set up a season, you'll have to do this by hand, which isn't that hard to do. In the utilities section are several player made lists of pro players for various seasons. The maximum yardage in this game is 300 yards so it's not going to accurately reflect the Bubba Watson's of today, and the AI has some real problems with putting and chipping, but it's still fun (IMO.) You can select either the "real" courses or choose your favorites as far as venues; you can set the conditions you like as well. Be aware though that once the first round is started you can't make any further changes and you can't quit during any round without being blocked from the rest of the tourney.

To obtain a pro player list, just dl it to your computer, open your Sierra folder to the players subfolder, and drop the entire list inside. The list should not show up in your available players screen in the game. You can open it and pick and choose competitors or just click the file name and move it to the right side of the screen. Set your lineup and play golf!
valkyr
Range Rookie

Post by valkyr »

Thanks for the input!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

valkyr! There's one way to quit a game during a tourney and it will auto save to where you left off. Open your task manager and close the pga2000 app during a round. When you reopen the PGA2000 app you should get the option to continue where you left off or quit and restart your round. I've done this numerous times with my collectors edition. NEVER just hit the exit or return to main menu during a tourney. Also there's an amateurs players list and pro players list already provided. As Indy said there's PGA Players list you can download from the utilities section. When I first started I used the amateur list until I got good enough to advance to the fictional pro's list. Then when I was good enough to win there several times I used a PGA Players list and still do. There are over 1600 courses available for download. If you want to know what the best courses are, download Dar's A and B list Courses. This game isn't as easy as Tiger Woods games but its MUCH better. Any other questions or help needed just ask and someone will help.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Thanks for that info Steve. In all these years I was never aware of that info.

By the way, I meant the player list SHOULD show up on the left side of the players screen (I typed should NOT) and you can open this list and take out the players you want or you can drop it in toto on the right side (available list) of the screen.