where our game went ...

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

where our game went ...

Post by Pyecraft »

link:
http://www.bdlive.co.za/world/americas/ ... puter-game

The gist of the article:

'Tiger Woods lost one of the most lucrative and long-standing endorsement deals in sport this week as EA Sports dropped him as the face of its computer golf game after a 90% decline in sales in five years. The company’s move to end the 15-year association, which has yielded Mr Woods £480m (about R7.6bn) ......' and so on and so forth, etc.

Can't quite digest exactly how many dollars 480 sterling would allow you stuff into yer golf bag, but have to think it would have been more palatable for EA over the longer haul, to have continually invested in the incorporating of latest technology into PGA. Certainly would have been easier to stomach.
May the only balls you slice be your own
mysteryman
Weekend Duffer

Re: where our game went ...

Post by mysteryman »

It wasn't tigers fault..,it is the damn games fault. They 'as tiger woods too much of a "look game"..it felt nothing like actually playing golf. So wish someone would do a update to pga golf 2000..this game had it all..and still has it all. Tiger woods game would have u out bounds if u hit into another fairway..or even a few yards over the green on a few courses. That is ridiculous..this PGA game is real golf..the whole course is playable and in play
msmvet
Chronic Slicer

Post by msmvet »

I agree 100% with mystery man, the TW saga stinks in my opinion. After I played PGA 2000 I was looking through all versions of TW and always dissapointed me. Graphics looks great, pro shop looks great, players look great, but playability, ball physics, shot control and customization doesn't match PGA.
Hope that EA rebuild the saga with all of this PGA great stuff or someone update PGA. Until then, I would be golfing in this oldie but goodie game.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Hi all, haven't been here for awhile. My computer died in January, I had some health problems through Feb and Mar and finally blew the tax check on a new W-7 model. I haven't reinstalled PGA2K yet and hope the disks still work; it's been about 9 years since I had to do it the last time.

To the topic. Most people can probably remember the number of golf sims available in the late 80s. I alone had about 6 of them, including Greg Norman, PGA Tour Golf (beautiful game, limited courses, no designer), Links, Microsoft, Jack Nicklaus and a couple of others whose name I can't recall. You could also get any number of baseball, football, hockey, winter Olympics, auto racing, etc. Then along came EA, and within about 4-5 years they were not just the biggest name in computer sims, they were the only name in sports sims. Competition was dead for the most part and it seems like no one ever came along to replace them when they began to lose interest.

I keep hearing that desktops are dead, but I don't believe it, but then again I'm pretty stubborn and I'm not going to invest in a laptop, iPad or other portable devices when I don't need them. I've played various little games on friends/kids' remote devices and hated the tiny screens. Again back to topic, IMO EA killed TW when they stopped with the hard copy (disk) and expected people to subscribe to their computer supported game. Having owned only one TW game ('07 IIRC) it's no great loss to me. I don't play much 2K any more either, but when I'm in the mood to play around with a golf game, it's still my first pick.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Welcome back Indy.
Nice to have you around again.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Good to hear from you. Now that you have a new computer we hope to hear more from you. You shouldn't have any trouble installing PGA 2K but to be safe make sure you turn off your anti virus and firewall before doing so. Disk problems, download from here.