retiring from pga

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

retiring from pga

Post by spencerturner »

Well it finally happened. My old Dell computer with XP installed has had it. I plan to buy a new computer tomorrow with Windows7 which means I cant play the game on line anymore. I have been playing this game for about 13 years now and designed over 2 dozen courses. Met a lot of great people and had a great time. It is my understanding that Windows 7 cannot accept the Kali server so I wont be able to play on line. I would like to be able to continue to design and upload courses if the new software will let me but I am not sure if it will. Best wishes to all with special thanks to Dar, Terry, Stan , Indy, Robert@, et.al. Spencer.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: retiring from pga

Post by bryce »

Spencer, I have a newer computer with Wondoes 7 and have no problem playing the game (offline) and I was able to upload a course already with it. I know it will mean no more online play for you, but designing will not be affected. We hope you will continue to design, since you are one of the best at it.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Thank you Bryce for your kind comments. That"s good news to hear I can still design. Spencer.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I ggot windows 8 and can still play off line and design.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

SpencerTurner,

I absolutely expect you to keep designing. You're a vital part of this community, and one wizard with the architect. See you later!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

spencerturner wrote:Well it finally happened. My old Dell computer with XP installed has had it.
Bummer Spence. Just curious, what happened to your Dell that caused you to declare it dead?
Dar
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Dar , I was trying to download an older version of WinZip and for some reason IE crashed and I could no longer use it as my browser. So I downloaded Firefox to use as my browser and it worked for a little while and then it crashed too. I talked to my local computer wizard and he said to try to reinstall WindowsXP which I have in the box. I have done that twice before and it takes hours to complete, sometimes as much as a day and a half, and its expensive to pay for what he charges per hour. (I dont have the skills to do it myself) I recently installed a new hard drive and t hat was expensive. So far this year I have more in repairs than I would if I had bought a new computer. I just feel it makes no sense to keep pouring good money after bad . Besides I dont play online anymore as my long time partner , KRP has quit playing. I will keep my Dell with XP as a back up to my new computer with Windows 7. Maybe some day I will reinstall XP on it but for now I think I will just try designing again. I will be 80 soon and I dont want to waste time fooling with it . I am currentlly running my computer in Safe Mode which allows me to send and receive mail, and search the web but I dont have sound , Skype, or my printer so safe mode is just a temp. fix. Spencer.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Well Spence, I guess sometimes we just have to let them go. Sounds like you had a litany of problems. I do hope you keep designing. You have a real flair for it. We still play your courses regularly.
Dar
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Spencer,

Whether you play online again or not, here is hoping we still hear from you. Good luck with the computer trouble.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

What the Hell Spencer? You think because the Pope can quit you can?
I`m sorry buddy but none of us get that luxury,I`m using windows 8 now,and havent been able to play online for quite sometime before that. Hang in there,some brillant 14 year old is going to figure out a way he can play some game with his buddy online , even when not supported by a server, and we will all be teeing it up again...maybe. Ethier way there`s no reason to say good-bye. Still lots of golf left in you. Your Holyiness :bg: